Peanut Butter and your dog

pipedreams

Interesting:  This article is saying xylitol is safe for humans to consume, but one wonders for sure.

Peanut butter...not all kinds are good for your dog and I used to stuff peanut butter in the kong for my dogs.

"Humans absorb xylitol slowly, and the sweetener when ingested orally is absorbed at from 50 to 95 percent. However, in dogs, xylitol is rapidly and fully absorbed within about 30 minutes. Just a small amount of xylitol can cause a dangerous insulin surge and a rapid drop in blood sugar.

The toxicity of xylitol in dogs is dose-dependent. The dose required to trigger hypoglycemia (low blood glucose) is approximately 0.1 grams/kg, while the amount needed to cause liver failure is about 0.5 grams/kg. Most gum and breath mints typically contain 0.22 to 1.0 gram of xylitol per piece of gum or mint."

https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2019/02/13/peanut-butter-containing-xylitol.aspx?utm_source=petsnl&utm_medium=email&utm_content=art1&utm_campaign=20190213Z1_NB&et_cid=DM267130&et_rid=544291836

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh thank god this thread is only about what might kill your dog.  I thought it was going to be one of those letters to Penthouse or Playboy about a guy, peanut butter, his dog and a happy ending.  

BTW, I clicked on the threat only because I wanted to help keep this forum family friendly... so you all just shut your mouths NOW!    :P

Edited by PATCHMAN