Colt .380 Government

DrB

Anyone have one? I bought one long ago when they first came out. I believe before the Mustangs. Is going into the range gun category, same as my old Detective Special and a Mustang Plus 2 did.

Are the new Mustangs any good?  I bought the New Cobra and now look for a small pocket pistol for walking the dog.  I do not want striker fired polymer.  Am old school with steel frame, hammer fired, cocked and locked. 

Dave.

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone have one? I bought one long ago when they first came out. I believe before the Mustangs. Is going into the range gun category, same as my old Detective Special and a Mustang Plus 2 did.
Are the new Mustangs any good?  I bought the New Cobra and now look for a small pocket pistol for walking the dog.  I do not want striker fired polymer.  Am old school with steel frame, hammer fired, cocked and locked. 
Dave.

My first centerfire self loading pistol was a Star S in 380. Still a favorite gun. Later acquired a Llama 380. The Llama is a closer copy of the 1911 design than most, as it includes the grip safety.

Think I read that the Star 380 tooling eventually came to Colt for the Mustang and possibly the Government 380.

The Llama name is currently appearing on a look alike made in the Philippines.

The Spanish made Star and Llama pistols appear on GunBroker regularly. The Llama was made in 380, 32, and 22 FWIW.

Believe SIG offers 1911 style pocket pistol size guns in 380 and 9mm. Whichever one of the SIGs my son has - 380 I think - he swears by it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 6:43 PM, DrB said:

Are the new Mustangs any good?  I bought the New Cobra and now look for a small pocket pistol for walking the dog. I do not want striker fired polymer.  Am old school with steel frame, hammer fired, cocked and locked. 

Dave

I do not want striker fired polymer.  Am old school with steel frame, hammer fired, cocked and locked. "

That would be my preference as well,  But I would recommend a Sig 938 or a Kimber Micro 9. Similar size and weight, but chambered in much more effective and readily available cartridge.

Sig P938
Weight: 16 oz.
Length:5.9 in 
Width 1.1 in 
Height: 3.9 in
Barrel length: 3.0 in Mag capacity 6

Kimber Micro 9
Weight: 15.6 oz.
Length: 6.1″
Height:4.01"
Width: 1.06"
Barrel Length: 3.15″
Mag capacity 6

Colt Mustang Pocketlite (alloy frame)
Weight 12.5 oz. (18.5 oz. Steel frame)
Length:  5.5 inches,. 
Height: 3.9
Width: 1.10
Barrel Length:  2.75 in
Mag capacity 6

Edited by Borg warner

18 hours ago, Borg warner said:

I do not want striker fired polymer.  Am old school with steel frame, hammer fired, cocked and locked. "

That would be my preference as well,  But I would recommend a Sig 938 or a Kimber Micro 9. Similar size and weight, but chambered in much more effective and readily available cartridge.

Sig P938
Length:5.9 in 
Width 1.1 in 
Barrel length: 3.0 in Mag capacity 6

Kimber Micro 9
Mag capacity 6

Colt Mustang Pocketlite (alloy frame)
Weight 12.5 oz. (18.5 oz. Steel frame)
Length:  5.5 inches,. 
Height: 3.9
Width: 1.10
Barrel Length:  2.75 in
Mag capacity 6

I'm looking at the P938 or the Kimber.  Springfield came out with one this year also I believe.  Want to look at that one.  Anyone have any info. about it?

Dave

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 5:24 PM, DrB said:

Have you seen any yet to handle?  Looks nice if it works.  Now I'm interested..  Thanks...

Dave..

At the shot show in January the Springfield spokesperson said it would probably about 6 months before dealers had them. Bass pro only has the 380's, no 9mm's yet. Same with Gunbroker.

But there's very little difference between the new Springfield 911, the Kimber Micro9, and the Sig P938. I would want to personally examine all three befor making a decision and the most critical distinction to me would be how positively the safety of each gun snaps into place for carrying the gun cocked and locked, and secondly, how each gun feels in the hand and how it points ast the target.

The Springfield isn't necesarelly the more desirable gun just because it's the newest thing, and for that matter either of the other guns may even be better because they're both proven designs that have been tested in actual use by the public.  I've heard very good things about both guns and nneverheard anything bad, 

Kimber Micro 9
Magazine capacity 6, 7 optional

Sig P938
Length: 5.9 in
Barrel length: 3.0 in
Mag capacity: 6,7 optional

Springfield 911 9mm
weight 15.3 oz
length  5.9"
Height 3.9"
Barrel length  3"
Mag capacity 6, 7 optional 

Edited by Borg warner

• 5 weeks later...

Dad has a Sig P238 in .380

It’s surprisingly accurate and easy to shoot. It’s also very reliable. I’ve fired a few hundred rounds from it and never had a problem. It shoots like a much larger gun, and being a locked breach gun, it shoots much softer than your typical tiny blowback action 380

• 2 weeks later...