Anyone here still have a Plasma TV?

DrB

I bought a OLED tv at Christmas. The depth of the picture, even when seeing older movies is really impressive. I think I can manipulate darkness and color to make it blacker dark. I think I have it set at a factory setting, I have not adjusted since original set up. My cat is enthralled at watching hockey or soccer. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ARP said:

I bought a OLED tv at Christmas. The depth of the picture, even when seeing older movies is really impressive. I think I can manipulate darkness and color to make it blacker dark. I think I have it set at a factory setting, I have not adjusted since original set up. My cat is enthralled at watching hockey or soccer. 

MY son researched them quite a bit and this is the one he bought.  It replaced his old Plasma.  I was impressed with the contrast and the blackness.  It's a very good choice.

My 50" LG gave up the ghost back in November. We averaged six years out of our two LG plasmas before the power supplies went out. I toyed with the option of repairing it, but at the end of the day just replaced it.

We picked up a 60" 4k for a 1/4 of what we paid for the plasma.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, janice6 said:

MY son researched them quite a bit and this is the one he bought.  It replaced his old Plasma.  I was impressed with the contrast and the blackness.  It's a very good choice.

I kinda did the same thing, the more I researched, the higher my price point went. I ended up with a Samsung. There are boatloads of cheaper (think $$$) big screen tvs out there that are the LED, and then you step over the line into OLED. Different animal. I could see that right out of the box. No matter how many LED manufacturers I went and looked at, there was little to no difference in picture that could not be remedied with adjustment of picture and darkness etc. Seemed that $1100 was the price break point.

• Like 1

While new oled. Tvs are good it took years to replicate plasma black levels and smooth play. Family member makes a living in the movie business and the work horse was a high end Panasonic plasma and before that Pioneer Kuro (thru sold the intellectually property to Panasonic. It’s biggest limitation is its nor scalable. A led plant can easily make different size sets right down to tablets and smaller. 

• Like 1

On 2/15/2019 at 8:58 PM, DrB said:

My 50" LG still works fine and I love the dark black.

Dave..

I did until about 2 years ago.  It developed a black bar down one side about 2" from the edge and 2" wide.  

Replaced it with an LG.

On 2/16/2019 at 10:35 PM, Moeman said:

While new oled. Tvs are good it took years to replicate plasma black levels and smooth play. Family member makes a living in the movie business and the work horse was a high end Panasonic plasma and before that Pioneer Kuro (thru sold the intellectually property to Panasonic. It’s biggest limitation is its nor scalable. A led plant can easily make different size sets right down to tablets and smaller. 

My Plasma was a Panasonic.  Was a good TV until the issue above finally happened.  It didn't owe me anything....

I loved my Plasma.  It got fried in a lightning strike a few years back and I had to buy a cheap LCD.  

Very noticeable quality difference especially with moving images.  This TV is blurry on HD slo-mo, Plasma was perfect.

Just replaced my 2004 42" Panasonic plasma last year.  I loved that TV, a gift to myself after a deployment. Looked awesome right up until the end. It just became obsolete as far as compatibility/connectivity with new tech and I had an itch for something new. Had a hard time even giving it away. It's in a buddy's shop, nowadays. Helluva shop TV!  Bought a 60" LG OLED for less than the plasma cost back in the day. It's pretty nice.

• Like 1