Looking for a .45 ACP CCW

GeorgeMason

On 2/12/2019 at 5:23 PM, CK30 said:

As the title implies, I’m looking for a new carry piece in .45 ACP.  I currently carry a G19, but suspect that State legislators are soon to implement a magazine ban. If I’m forced to carry 10 rounds, 10 rounds of 9mm in a g19 sized gun seems kind of inefficient.  A larger caliber would allow me to pack a lot more punch, while maintaining a weapon size with which I’m comfortable. I’d prefer a striker fired gun, but could be talked into the right sa/da setup. Nothing bigger than a g19 will work as a full time carry piece for me. Clearly a 10 round magazine option is a necessity. Some of the guns I’ve been thinking of are the S&W MP45 2.0 compact, Ruger American 45 compact and Glock 30. Anyone have experience with these? What models am I missing?

Earlier in this thread, I said I'd look at a 1911.  While that's still true, I'd also look into the S&W MP45 Compact and Shield in .45.  I guess that's assuming the OP didn't make a choice yet.

OP?  Did you make a choice?

• Like 1

On 9/6/2019 at 6:03 AM, Spats McGee said:

Earlier in this thread, I said I'd look at a 1911.  While that's still true, I'd also look into the S&W MP45 Compact and Shield in .45.  I guess that's assuming the OP didn't make a choice yet.

OP?  Did you make a choice?

I haven’t made a choice yet as the legislators in my communist state have yet to push the magazine ban through the house. I’m not looking for a .45 shield as max capacity is 7+1, same for the Springfield XDE. If I’m going to go to a capacity of less than 10+1, I would maybe consider a 1911, but still have doubts about carrying a heavy all metal gun. The MP45 2.0 compact is very intriguing, but I’ve heard the grip on it is essentially a full size grip. MP45c first gen seems to be close in size to what I want, but is only 8+1. So far the leaders in the clubhouse are the two Springfield options that other have suggested in this thread, the XDM 3.8” compact or the XD 4” compact. Are there any sig options I’m missing?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 11:50 AM, CK30 said:

I haven’t made a choice yet as the legislators in my communist state have yet to push the magazine ban through the house. I’m not looking for a .45 shield as max capacity is 7+1, same for the Springfield XDE. If I’m going to go to a capacity of less than 10+1, I would maybe consider a 1911, but still have doubts about carrying a heavy all metal gun. The MP45 2.0 compact is very intriguing, but I’ve heard the grip on it is essentially a full size grip. MP45c first gen seems to be close in size to what I want, but is only 8+1. So far the leaders in the clubhouse are the two Springfield options that other have suggested in this thread, the XDM 3.8” compact or the XD 4” compact. Are there any sig options I’m missing?

"MP45c first gen seems to be close in size to what I want, but is only 8+1."

If 9 rounds of 45 ACP 230 grain HST Plus+P doesn't do the job, the job probably can't be done. And if you still think 9 rounds will never be enough, get some spare mags and practice magazine changes with a timer.

The more you practice with your carry gun, the more effective it will be for defense.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My wife still has them.  I prefer higher capacity, unless it is a 1911, and that is for full on accuracy, because shooting more than once with that format is kind of silly.  But, there are always 10 round extra mags for that.  The reason I abandoned the Springfield subcompact .45 is that it works great at the range and a one on one threat.  I wouldn't call it accurate in a mob situation, when there are a mix of innocents and BG's.  With the Springfield the odds of hitting both become a definitely possibility.  In my training over the years, hitting the innocent is not acceptable.  Also, if you manage to put holes in enough chests, the rest of them tend to run like scalded dogs.  A Glock 21 has a bit more edge for magazine capacity, and a bit more accuracy than the Springfield subcompact.  If you get your slide done in stainless, I have found in a one on one situation, it tends to stop the threat before decorating the BG's chest with nice warm holes. 

I had a guy, seeing I was handicapped thought I would be an easy mark for a robbery.  After some hostile words in which I told him that his ambitions to do that weren't happening, he tried digging in his pants to pull out whatever micro pistol he thought to commit the crime with.  That is why I carry like I was trained to, OWB, with a cover shirt.  So, I swept it back and put my hand on my Glock 21 with a nice stainless slide and said, "Reach ************ if you are going to reach!"  He decided I was first on the OODA loop and ran away into the crowd like a little bitch that he was. 

Long diatribe short, for me, shorty pistols and I don't go well together.  I want to know my backdrop, I want to what my round is capable of doing.  After 18.5 years of qualifying every 3 months, training kicks in.  I was calm, collected, and ready to speed draw and bent elbow eat this guy's chest out.  You can adrenaline dump later.  But, in that moment, time slows down, there is perfect clarity, and you know you draw and put three in the chest like you have been trained to do forever. 

Most single combat occurs like mine between 3-5 yards.  That is the reality of most shootings.  We had to be accurate at 25 yards from a barricade position.  So, 3-5 yards is cake walk. 

You need to know what round you are carrying.  Hollow points are best for a public situation, as FMJ's tend to keep going, that is why they are primarily used by our fighting troops.  You need to know your personal limitations, you need to know what your weapon can and can't do for you.  You need to understand cover vs. concealment (not your weapon, you), as the majority of the reason you would be in a shooting situation, is you are being shot at, you are defending the life of another from death or great bodily harm.  Shooting at a static target is great.  But, when it can shoot back, it is a whole different world.  If you haven't looked down the barrel of weapon (I have), the hole in that barrel looks huge.  That was my fault for assuming, and everyone else's fault for drinking in uniform.  Essentially, I was invited to a retirement party for a Supervisor, so being a young cat and knowing the rules, I changed out of uniform and went over.  Everyone was in uniform, and still armed.  This was a serious breach of protocol on a lot of levels.  There was a huge bottle of liquor being passed around and I was trying to maintain sobriety, as my new wife did not want an alcoholic.  There were drunken request for helicopter flyovers.  I sat respectfully in the circle of chairs.  One idiot, got so drunk he could barely stand, and pulled his Berretta 96D and pointed it right at my chest.  I had to talk the drunk idiot down from not shooting me.  BPA Knudson if you still exist out there in cyberspace, you almost murdered a fellow Agent.  To this day, I say you are one of the biggest fuckards I have ever worked with.