Looking for a .45 ACP CCW

GeorgeMason

20 hours ago, CK30 said:

So I ask about recommendations for a .45ACP carry option, no bigger than a G19 with 10 round magazine options. Your replies are to carry a G21 with standard mags, carry a full size 1911, or a 1911 in an altogether different caliber. How is any of that supposed to be remotely helpful?

I'd say if you like and are comfy with the Glock 19 grip size and length..go rent a G30...get a 10 round magazine(s)  that make the grip the same feel and length as the G19..I'd stay away from any 1911 unless you are happy with the external safety/decocker/DA/SA type stuff that makes it more difficult as a CCW..particularly if you are comfy with a Glock. 

Edited by usnret
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
As the title implies, I’m looking for a new carry piece in .45 ACP.  I currently carry a G19, but suspect that State legislators are soon to implement a magazine ban. If I’m forced to carry 10 rounds, 10 rounds of 9mm in a g19 sized gun seems kind of inefficient.  A larger caliber would allow me to pack a lot more punch, while maintaining a weapon size with which I’m comfortable. I’d prefer a striker fired gun, but could be talked into the right sa/da setup. Nothing bigger than a g19 will work as a full time carry piece for me. Clearly a 10 round magazine option is a necessity. Some of the guns I’ve been thinking of are the S&W MP45 2.0 compact, Ruger American 45 compact and Glock 30. Anyone have experience with these? What models am I missing?

Check out the XDM 3.8 compact .45.
  • Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 3:50 PM, Will Beararms said:

This is off topic but I am carrying a Gen. 3 Glock 23 loaded with 180 Grain JHP’s. Nice IWB under an untucked shirt option. 

That really isn't that far off topic. Caliber wise, the 40 is almost exactly halfway in between .355 and .451 but ballistically the 40 is a lot closer to the 45 than it is to the 9. A 185 grain Hornady XTP 185 grain 45 ACP will do 970 fps/386 fpe, while a 180 grain 40 S&W Federal HST will do 1010 fps/ 408 fpe.

Not much difference there and I think a compact 40 is a viable option to carrying a 45. And a G27 is even a little more concealable than a G23, I like the 40 almost as much as much as I like the 45.  Basically I like just about any caliber that begins with the number 4. --45 Colt, 41 mag, 44 mag, 44 Special....

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 7:20 AM, usnret said:

I'd say if you like and are comfy with the Glock 19 grip size and length..go rent a G30...get a 10 round magazine(s)  that make the grip the same feel and length as the G19..I'd stay away from any 1911 unless you are happy with the external safety/decocker/DA/SA type stuff that makes it more difficult as a CCW..particularly if you are comfy with a Glock. 

G30S rather than G30. the G30s has the more cpompact frame an da narrower slide.  Unless the OP lives in Commiefornia, the G30 s is not legal in that state, in which case I would recommend  either A G23 in 40 caliber (which is ALMOST a 45) or a S&W Shield 45 which is smaller, lighter, and easier to conceal than a G30 or G30S

As I mentioned in the previous post, a 185 grain Hornady XTP 185 grain 45 ACP will do 970 fps/386 fpe, while a 180 grain 40 S&W Federal HST will do 1010 fps/ 408 fpe. The two rounds are very close ballistically except that there are plus +P options for the 45 which are harder shooting in a compact pistol.

I also like Colt Lightweight Officer's ACP and the new Colt Defender. A friend of mine has carried a stainless officer's model since 1987 and has fire thousands of rounds through it. Anoth friend ha a Defender and I've fired it and I like it a lot. It's close to the size of a G19.

• Like 1

glock 30sf all day every day. at least for me, the second i picked it up, i knew it was the ONE!! lol, not a lot of guns do that...

the regular glock 30 seemed a little brick-ish/clunky in the grip, but the slight differences in the glock 30sf made it feel perfect to me. try it.

like posted before you will love it so much, if you walk out of the house without it, it will feel like you are missing a shoe...

• Like 3

I carried an XD 45 compact for a few years, if you change the trigger and add steel pins (rust issue) it is a decent carry gun. It came with a 13 and 10 round mags and is about the size of a G19. It is a very soft shooting gun, everybody that has tried it wants to buy it from me. SA Discontinued them a year or two  ago, but they are still out there.

• 2 weeks later...

When stuck with 10 round mags, Wilson combat mags are superb.  I carry them in my Springfield Operator model, by far my favorite 1911.  The Heine trijicons, the Wilson barrel bushing I put on.  There is virtually no recoil.  I am also a fan of the green/black set up and the Pacmayer grips.  If I got screwed that way with 10 round magazines, I would be carrying extra mags all over the place, and often do when I am carrying a 1911.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/14/2019 at 2:36 PM, deputy tom said:

I owned a G-30 and found it was too thick for my use. I ended up with a Springfield Armory .45 light weight Champion. It was a great gun. tom. :cowboy2:

They are a brick.  I had one, but got rid of it.  It was fun with the stormlake 10mm conversion though.  I still have the CTC laser grips for the G30 (didn't sell them with the gun).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, G19 DB said:

They are a brick.  I had one, but got rid of it.  It was fun with the stormlake 10mm conversion though.  I still have the CTC laser grips for the G30 (didn't sell them with the gun).

The G30s is a thinner brick with a slightly better grip. It has the SF grip and the G36 single stack slide.  But it's actually easier to carry a G27 in 40 caliber and the ballistics of the 40 are a lot closer to the 45 than they are to the 9.  A 45 ACP 185 grain does about 950 fps and a 180 grain 40 S&W 180 grain HST does about 1050. Whatever you shoot with it won't know the difference.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Borg warner said:

The G30s is a thinner brick with a slightly better grip. It has the SF grip and the G36 single stack slide.  But it's actually easier to carry a G27 in 40 caliber and the ballistics of the 40 are a lot closer to the 45 than they are to the 9.  A 45 ACP 185 grain does about 950 fps and a 180 grain 40 S&W 180 grain HST does about 1050. Whatever you shoot with it won't know the difference.

Yeah BW, I had to try it and the price was right.  Actually the 45gap is awesome because I've got what essentially feels like a 9mm in my hand, but w/ 45 cal ballistics.  It would even be better with that G36 single stack slide you're talking about.

• Like 1

The XD .45 compact is similar size to a G19 and comes with 10 and 13 round mags. I carried that gun for about 5 years until I switched to the M&P 9mm. As with most striker guns the trigger in the XD line sucks, however powder river precision makes a great action kit for them which gives them a great trigger.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/products/xd-compact-service-model-45-acp/

• 3 weeks later...

I have one of these.  I have not tried to CC it-my State also allows OC-But I have confidence it my ability to hit what I aim at with this revolver.  Its very lightweight-would probably need to try to find thinner grips.  Of course it uses moon clips, making for faster reloading. 

Smith and Wesson 325.jpg

Edited by norton
  • Thanks 1

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 9:06 PM, Mike said:

The XD .45 compact is similar size to a G19 and comes with 10 and 13 round mags. I carried that gun for about 5 years until I switched to the M&P 9mm. As with most striker guns the trigger in the XD line sucks, however powder river precision makes a great action kit for them which gives them a great trigger.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/products/xd-compact-service-model-45-acp/

I have the 2.0 compact in FDE hidden away for my daughter for Chanukahmas.  It has the 10 round mag and the 13 round back up.

• Like 2

On 3/6/2019 at 6:46 PM, Borg warner said:

Unless the OP lives in Commiefornia, the G30 s is not legal in that state,

That's really interesting.  When I got mine in early 14, I read that the gun was actually thought up by under cover cops out in Cali.  That's what supposedly got glocks attention and got them to actually Make the 30s.

Now, it's only available to cops and CCW people out in cali.....That state really needs to just fall off into the ocean!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 2/12/2019 at 6:23 PM, CK30 said:

As the title implies, I’m looking for a new carry piece in .45 ACP.  I currently carry a G19, but suspect that State legislators are soon to implement a magazine ban. If I’m forced to carry 10 rounds, 10 rounds of 9mm in a g19 sized gun seems kind of inefficient.  A larger caliber would allow me to pack a lot more punch, while maintaining a weapon size with which I’m comfortable. I’d prefer a striker fired gun, but could be talked into the right sa/da setup. Nothing bigger than a g19 will work as a full time carry piece for me. Clearly a 10 round magazine option is a necessity. Some of the guns I’ve been thinking of are the S&W MP45 2.0 compact, Ruger American 45 compact and Glock 30. Anyone have experience with these? What models am I missing?

Two words. Glock 30.

About same size as Glock 19. Incredibly accurate. 

Very manageable recoil, even with hot loads,

Carried one CCW for years. Hides nicely under a T shirt.

Gray_Rider

Old 'federate

• Like 1

Just for the record IMHO this Glock model 30, birthday of February 1997 almost vintage by now, with many many rounds of various 45 ammunition is the finest most accurate .45 handgun out of the box & I've owned a few .45 platforms in my day,  all fine weapons, yes I'm in agreement on a point made by a forum member that's it's " chunky" that it is, my hands are bigger than average so my preference is chunky handguns , with all that said the 30 has functioned flawlessly all these years and I'd depend on it anytime under any conditions to protect my life and my families, the ultimate protection weapon IMHO ..

image.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...