Percolator Coffee Pot, anyone?

I have a bunch of them. A couple at my remote cabin, in my rv, and at least 4 in the house. The ones in the house include 2 old enamel ones, the common aluminum pot, and a shiny almost new stainless model. I grab the stainless one when the power goes out. I also have a hand grinder for the coffee beans.

• Like 1

For a good part of my life, the smell of brewing coffee and the burble of the percolator meant morning.

I still have my old Corningware electric percolator as a backup should the current coffee machine fail.

Percolator is more than forty years old and it still works and makes great coffee.

Coffee machines last three years.

NB we have a Hamilton Beach malted milk mixer in the family, the kind that were used in soda shops and lunch counters.

Ugly pea-green color, huge electric motor, probably made in the 1940s; I replaced the old fabric-insulated wiring years ago.

It resides with various family members until they get tired of it and pass it on, but it makes great milk shakes and malteds

It still works.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, tous said:

For a good part of my life, the smell of brewing coffee and the burble of the percolator meant morning.

I still have my old Corningware electric percolator as a backup should the current coffee machine fail.

One like this?  Think it is still around or maybe I finally gave it away, used it for years.

image.png.3ced88e5567e946ec7268d7097f9dde7.png

Edited by pipedreams
  • Like 1

My parents always used a percolator.  The smell always woke me up, although I never liked the brew.

IMHO, percolators overheat and over extract.  It smells wonderful because all of the volatile oils/compounds you enjoy end up in the air instead of the cup.  Water for coffee should be between 196-205, not boiling.

45 minutes ago, tous said:

NB we have a Hamilton Beach malted milk mixer in the family, the kind that were used in soda shops and lunch counters.

Ugly pea-green color, huge electric motor, probably made in the 1940s; I replaced the old fabric-insulated wiring years ago.

It resides with various family members until they get tired of it and pass it on, but it makes great milk shakes and malteds

It still works.

I remember my Grandmother having one of those. Same color.

• Like 1

For camping.  They laugh at me until they taste it.  mmm-mmm-good.

(What you're supposed to do is fire up the generator in your RV at 5am to microwave your coffee and turn the heater on.  Then go to work on Monday and tell everyone you went camping that weekend.)

I don't drink a lot at home.  At work, it's free in the hotels (usually gag-worthy);  I worked a 20 hour day last week and took 64oz of coffee with me.

At home, I use the Bustelo (the dust-powder grind) in a press.  It makes my hair go afro.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, pipedreams said:

One like this?  Think it is still around or maybe I finally gave it away, used it for years.

image.png.3ced88e5567e946ec7268d7097f9dde7.png

That's what I have and use when the electric goes out.  I also have an electric one, same corning ware. Corn Flowers is the design pattern if I remember correct.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

At home, I use the Bustelo (the dust-powder grind) in a press.  It makes my hair go afro. 

My favorite coffee maker is a SS stovetop percolator. Sometimes, when I want to impress myself, I use my French Press but enjoy coffee from the Percolator better.  I do occasionally use Bustelo for expresso.  Now I guess I'll have to try it in the press. :drink:

TBO, you being another far norther.

In Da UP, at least in the area I know, canasta was the preferred four-hand card game and cribbage was by far the most popular two-hand card game.

Same in your neck of the woods?

I enjoyed playing cribbage.

Still do.

Canasta is boring.

:599c64bfb50b0_wavey1:

• Like 2

In Da UP, at least in the area I know, canasta was the preferred four-hand card game and cribbage was by far the most popular two-hand card game.

Still do.
Canasta is boring.
There's quite a melting pot of games as you go further north.

Cribbage is pretty universal throughout the areas.

Smear is one endearing card game in many far north camps. I haven't played it in ages, would have to learn again.

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, tous said:

Still do.

Canasta is boring.

No pinochle?  It is a good 4 hand game.  Also poker and liars dice.

We only have perc when camping.  I went tent camping with some guys who brought a keurig and a generator.  Commies

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

Put a little Baileys in the perc coffee at the cabin. Sit and watch the wildlife.

Have a young single mom with a 10 year old boy in the house behind me.  We bs over the fence.  Work, the kid, and his social activities keep her running.  She just had a hysterectomy this fall.  I told her my oldest daughter had one too, and she said that it is something that although unusual, will prove to result in less problems for you as you get older.  

Around 3 or 4 month intervals, I drop off a big jug of either Bailey's or Mudslide for her.  It gets hectic and lonesome during the Winter, especially if your pretty much alone.  I think she enjoys it, she will cradle it like a baby while thanking me, and telling me I didn't have to do it.  I tell her I don't do anything I think I have to, I do things because they seem like the right thing to do.

It feels nice to do something that you think is appreciated by another.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 2

The best Coffee I have ever tasted was when my mother used to make Egg Coffee for the Church.  She made it on the wood stove in the basement, with an old Coffee pot that must have been almost two gallons.  She would mix the Eggs and the Coffee grounds together and put them into a cloth sack which then went into the Coffee pot with the water.  I don't know if it just steeped, or if it were cooked together.

That Coffee smell would actually make your mouth water from two or three houses down the street.  It was never burned, but strong with lots of body.  Damned near like a meal in a cup.

I have never had that type of Coffee after she left.  It was wonderful.  In case you're wondering, I drank Coffee as long as I can remember.  I couldn't handle whole milk but I used Cream and Sugar in my Coffee until I got into the Navy,  Black from then on.  I would love to have Coffee like that again.

• Like 1

yes,we have two here both Enamel wear if the power goes out.

for camping we usually bring one if there's a group,if its just the two of us we bring the Ti french press.

i have every way of making coffee i know of,its best to leave me be until i have had at least 1 cup of coffee.....

12 hours ago, janice6 said:

The best Coffee I have ever tasted was when my mother used to make Egg Coffee for the Church.  She made it on the wood stove in the basement, with an old Coffee pot that must have been almost two gallons.  She would mix the Eggs and the Coffee grounds together and put them into a cloth sack which then went into the Coffee pot with the water.  I don't know if it just steeped, or if it were cooked together.

That Coffee smell would actually make your mouth water from two or three houses down the street.  It was never burned, but strong with lots of body.  Damned near like a meal in a cup.

I have never had that type of Coffee after she left.  It was wonderful.  In case you're wondering, I drank Coffee as long as I can remember.  I couldn't handle whole milk but I used Cream and Sugar in my Coffee until I got into the Navy,  Black from then on.  I would love to have Coffee like that again.

Just egg shells right?

• Like 1