Carry.. Awalys Carry. And listen to your dog... I screwed up this morning.

DrB

I totally screwed up this morning.  A stark lesson in my face.  I get up around 5am. still dark and take the dog out.  For some reason she is more excited but I blow that off as she is always after the various animals in the woods.  No I did not have a gun with me.....  Brought her in and she not eat her food as normal but sits at window looking out.  Again I just figure she watches the animals outside.

When it got light I took her out to go for ride in truck and go to store. Sh...t.. She goes on full blown alert mode in the woods. Never have seen her wanting to confront  anything that much.  Idiot me I walk out to look at the fuss and see a man standing in the trees.   No response when I called out but only the hollow eyes and icicles hanging from his face. 

At that point I walked backward and got the dog and myself back in the house.  Called 911...  Two Sheriff's came, they had to call an ambulance to haul him away.

The point of this.....  I screwed up big time this morning but learned.  Always be armed.....  always listen to the dog when it just seems a little different from her normal self.  Have a rifle as well a pistol here at the ready.  The range he was at here on my property was more suited to a rifle.

Never think it can't happen to you...  I  live in the country  here all my life and never thought this would happen here...  Wrong....  I fu...ed up..

Dave

I

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

22 minutes ago, Will Beararms said:

Let us know what becomes of this. Escaped inmate? Meth head? Drunk? 

I live in the sticks too. Most around here carry.  

He is known ti the Sheriff's  department.  Strange he is 20 some miles from where they know him from.

I carry but am still kicking myself from screwing up..  That one time you don't carry can come biting you in the butt.  Damn .........I'm old but learned a lesson today.  Saw a need for a rifle here today.  That will be fixed with a LE6920 out of the safe.

Dave..

• Like 6

Just now, DrB said:

He is known ti the Sheriff's  department.  Strange he is 20 some miles from where they know him from.

I carry but am still kicking myself from screwing up..  That one time you don't carry can come biting you in the butt.  Damn .........I'm old but learned a lesson today.  Saw a need for a rifle here today.  That will be fixed with a LE6920 out of the safe.

Dave..

Woke up was still dark, took dog out she was acting strange but not on alert.  She did not eat but looked out window towards woods and anxious.  Later when getting ready to go to store she went straight out, full on with the aggressive defensive attitude.  I walked out from the truck to see what was the matter...

Man half frozen unresponsive. Me unarmed, My mistake....   No S..hit I walk backwards to the house get dog and arm up.  That's when I realized I needed a rifle handy also.

Called 911..  Sheriff's cars came. They called ambulance and he was hauled away. He did not know where he was.. That's all I know at this point.  Except I learned a few things today.  Live in the country and crap can still happen...

Dave..

• Like 3

Not sure how  you think you screwed up here?  You were never in any danger, and your dog would have taken care of business right?

I can see how you did not listen to your dog, but that's about it.  They really are so much more  aware of things than we are.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Peng said:

Not sure how  you think you screwed up here?  You were never in any danger, and your dog would have taken care of business right?

I can see how you did not listen to your dog, but that's about it.  They really are so much more  aware of things than we are.

He could have been armed.  Same when they came and they had weapons ready..  You don't know these days...

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DrB said:

He could have been armed.  Same when they came and they had weapons ready..  You don't know these days...

Exactly, the man is unbalanced. He is not playing with a full deck. Don’t beat yourself up. Learn from it and move on. 

Edited by Will Beararms
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Will Beararms said:

Exactly, the man is unbalanced. He is not playing with a full deck. Don’t bear yourself up. Learn from it and move on. 

Yep I learned today and am making a few changes. Sometimes you gotta get smacked in the face.

Dave

• Like 2

Out here on the farm when the dog starts barking I grab a rifle and go out to see what's happening. Just today the neighbors two dogs were in the machine shed trying to get to the cat food. My GSD was between them and the food. A few rounds in the dirt scared them off. If it happens again I'll have to make a phone call. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, astepup said:

Out here on the farm when the dog starts barking I grab a rifle and go out to see what's happening. Just today the neighbors two dogs were in the machine shed trying to get to the cat food. My GSD was between them and the food. A few rounds in the dirt scared them off. If it happens again I'll have to make a phone call. 

To tell the neighbor to come get his dead dogs?

My dog went off in the wee hours one morning, went and checked, didn't see anything, told him to shut-up.  Started barking again, I went and checked with a spotlight and a big bear comes running out from under the deck.  Some poo came out. 

I have noticed their is a difference in their bark when it is a dog, person, or other animal.

We had a weirdo going around shooting people in their house here a bit ago.  Before that someone posted video of a guy standing in his driveway staring at his car for 3 hours at 2 in the morning.  And then there was the doorbell licker.  Too many freaks to drop your guard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RenoF250 said:

To tell the neighbor to come get his dead dogs?

My dog went off in the wee hours one morning, went and checked, didn't see anything, told him to shut-up.  Started barking again, I went and checked with a spotlight and a big bear comes running out from under the deck.  Some poo came out. 

I have noticed their is a difference in their bark when it is a dog, person, or other animal.

We had a weirdo going around shooting people in their house here a bit ago.  Before that someone posted video of a guy standing in his driveway staring at his car for 3 hours at 2 in the morning.  And then there was the doorbell licker.  Too many freaks to drop your guard.

I'm kind of afraid to ask... but.. what isa doorbell licker?

I always carry, and with the dogs, the family thinks I am Dr. Doolittle, as I understand what they are telling me more than most humans.  They learn words rather quickly.  I know when the Rat Terrier wants out to run around, I know when he wants to be held and have his back scratched.  I know when my GSD wants to eat, when he wants to play, and when he wants a good chest and belly scratch.  Listen to your animals, they are far more in tune with their surroundings, and though they may not have the same type of intelligence as humans, they are brilliant.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 2:42 PM, DrB said:

Woke up was still dark, took dog out she was acting strange but not on alert.  She did not eat but looked out window towards woods and anxious.  Later when getting ready to go to store she went straight out, full on with the aggressive defensive attitude.  I walked out from the truck to see what was the matter...

Man half frozen unresponsive. Me unarmed, My mistake....   No S..hit I walk backwards to the house get dog and arm up.  That's when I realized I needed a rifle handy also.

Called 911..  Sheriff's cars came. They called ambulance and he was hauled away. He did not know where he was.. That's all I know at this point.  Except I learned a few things today.  Live in the country and crap can still happen...

Dave..

He is probably a peeper who got lost.  This is not a good sign, and he needs to be sent to the funny farm for dangerous people.  People like that go from peeping, to breaking in, to rape, to murder, to serial murder.  Obviously, he was willing to risk his health for his prurient behavior.  That is a strong indicator that he is going to move eventually into a preferential killer.