Texas, Proposed Firearms Bills

steve4102

House Bill 930 by Rep. Rafael Anchia (D-Dallas) repeals the Lone Star State’s “Castle Doctrine” law.

House Bill 1163 by Rep. Rafael Anchia (D-Dallas) allows municipalities with a population of more than 750,000 to vote on whether to prohibit License To Carry holders from openly carrying handguns within city limits.

House Bill 1164 by Rep. Rafael Anchia (D-Dallas) expands the prohibited places that apply to License to Carry (LTC) holders in Penal Code Section 46.035 to include facilities such as golf courses, amphitheaters, auditoriums, theaters, museums, zoos, botanical gardens, civic centers and convention centers, provided they are posted off-limits.

House Bill 1169 by Rep. Rafael Anchia (D-Dallas) creates the offense of knowingly selling a firearm to another at a gun show without conducting the transfer through a licensed dealer, which would involve completing extensive federal paperwork and payment of an undetermined fee.

House Bill 1207 by Rep. Eddie Rodriguez (D-Austin) makes it a crime for a person to fail to report a lost or stolen firearm within five days of the person becoming aware that the gun was lost or stolen.

House Bill 1236 by Rep. Vikki Goodwin (D-Austin) allows public colleges and universities to opt-out of Texas’ campus carry law. (An identical bill, HB 1173, was also filed by Rep. Rafael Anchia.)

We also reported to you last month on several pro-Second Amendment measures that had been introduced early in session; these additional pro-gun reform measures have been filed since then:

House Bill 1009 by Rep. Will Metcalf (R-Conroe) clarifies the definition of “school-sponsored activity” in the Texas Penal Code to avoid the establishment of roving gun-free zones in buildings or areas that are not owned by or under the control of a school or postsecondary educational institution.

House Bill 1143 by Rep. Cole Hefner (R-Mount Pleasant) limits the authority of school districts to regulate the manner in which firearms and ammunition are stored in private motor vehicles parked on school property (including by school employees).

House Bill 1149 by Rep. James White (R-Woodville) ties eligibility for a License To Carry a handgun to the ability to purchase a firearm.

House Bill 1177 by Rep. Dade Phelan (R-Beaumont) & Senate Bill 506 by Sen. Brandon Creighton (R-Conroe) protect citizens from being charged with a crime for carrying a handgun while evacuating from an area subject to a mandatory order issued during a declared state or local disaster, or while returning home.

House Bill 1231 by Rep. Dan Flynn (R-Van) & Senate Bill 535 by Sen. Donna Campbell (R-New Braunfels) repeals the prohibition on carrying in churches or other places of worship.

Senate Bill 472 by Sen. Bryan Hughes (R-Mineola) protects the rights of tenants to lawfully possess firearms in their residential or commercial rental properties and to transport their guns between their personal vehicles and those locations.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, steve4102 said:

House Bill ...

Sure nice to see them all compiled like that. I could get used to seeing a report like that to keep tabs on the latest propositions. 

The (R) list is kinda pale against the (D) list though.. don't like that. 

6 hours ago, steve4102 said:

House Bill 1169 by Rep. Rafael Anchia (D-Dallas) creates the offense of knowingly selling a firearm to another at a gun show without conducting the transfer through a licensed dealer, which would involve completing extensive federal paperwork and payment of an undetermined fee.

So it would still be legal to unknowingly sell a firearm to someone else at a gun show without going through an FFL...

• Haha 1

These haven't left committee and will die there.  Just like the Bill of Succeed from the Nation while Obama was President, it died in committee.   Just because some jackass introduces a bill, it has to pass committee before a full vote, which is where it die.  

16 minutes ago, Moshe said:

These haven't left committee and will die there.  Just like the Bill of Succeed from the Nation while Obama was President, it died in committee.   Just because some jackass introduces a bill, it has to pass committee before a full vote, which is where it die.  

Tell that to the gun owners in WA and OR as of late.

The Texas legislature convenes only for a few months ever other year.  This is one of those years.  The session began last month.  It will end in May.  If an introduced bill is not passed out of committee, or not passed by the chamber in which it was introduced, or not also passed in the sister chamber (House or Senate), or not signed by the governor, then the bill dies.  It can be re-introduced again two years later, and must successfully complete the same rigorous process in order to become law. 

The vast majority of bills introduced at the beginning of any session die without becoming law.  Most/all of the bills cited above are headed to the legislative morgue. They are introduced by politicians so they can tell their constituents that they tried!

Edited by theglock

3 hours ago, Cougar_ml said:

The states are red geographically by over 80%.  It's a handful of counties in each state that are Blue.  

Not so much anymore.  The "I can suspend the 14th Amendment" rhetoric made a blue wave.  However, where I am it is so red, bigotry is the order of the day.  For instance, there is a local place where you can return your USPS returns.  I am usually notoriously early.  So, I parked outside.  There I met two people.  An older black destitute man, and the grumpy white owner of the store.  He gave me and the black man a Wilfred Brimley look of scorn, and asked if I had a packed to return.  I gave it to him.  The elderly black man looked up at me and caught the Star of David first, but then notice it had a cross in the middle.  He said, he had nothing to eat, and was praying someone would help him.  I usually don't have more than a 20.00, so I gave it to him.  The older guy looked at the situation as if someone had farted in his Cheerios and went inside.  

The man looked up at me, and said, "I was praying someone would help me, then I saw your Star of David, and thought, this guy ain't gonna' help me.   Then I saw that cross in the middle of it."  The convenience store he had trudged to was closed.  He asked, if I could please drive him to the shell up the road to get something to eat?

I told him to hop in.  He was amused, due to his age, and inevitable racism he had faced, given his age.  "Who would have thought, a Jew and a black man in a vehicle together?"  I dropped him off, he went inside, and got something to eat.

The morale of the story?  Where I live might just be too red, so no crazy gun laws will make this district.

• Thanks 1