How the Glock Backstraps Change the Frame and Grip Dimensions

JJHNSN

I just brought home a Glock 19 (Gen 5) and found that in spite of my monster size hands I actually prefer it with no additional backstrap, thus making it, effectively, a SF grip size for myself. I do like the beavertail though, so now I have a bit of a dilemna. I may try using simply one of those add on beavertail modules, but it got me thinking about how the various backstraps change grip and frame dimensions on the Glock.

I found this very well written article laying things out well, passing it along:

https://www.uspsa.org/front-sight-magazine-article.php?Is-the-Glock-Gen4-For-U-3

• 9 months later...

First.... that link is dead. (Reason for my edit)

Going on........

Do you have any testing-fitting-eyeballing technique to see if or why making the grip longer/thicker/flatter/rounder would be beneficial to the owner..... besides installing one after the other and, say: pushing 1,000 rounds through the barrel after each variation?

I know it's not like getting your feet measured for shoes, but is there any way of testing without actually installing grip extenders first?

I mean, if blisters from poorly fitted shoes are an indicator, do blisters on fingers, palm, thumb web mean anything? After x-number rounds? 

Like: Put a #2 Ticondaroga pencil between your palm and the grip, etc?

Is it just the way your trigger finger naturally falls on the trigger? First finger joint? Finger tip pad? Second finger joint. Can you use your thumb, etc., etc.?

I know some may poo-poo this question, but I'm seriously in the dark here, especially if I could be doing something better for the condition in which I find my shootin'  hand and fingers now. 

Edited by JoeIsuzu
Jjhnsn link dead.

The easy answer is 2mm to the trigger reach with each successive backstrap (2mm for "M", 4mm for "L"; - 2mm (relative to Gen1,2,3) without a backstrap installed.  The beavertail backstraps do the same.  I'm an "M" without the beavertail.  I HATE the beavertail; it screws-up my grip because it seems to lower my hand on the backstrap.

As it is I feel the same way - but the custom straps weren't in the new Glock box when I bought my pistol, so I was wondering if I really need to try them or not.

PS: Wouldn't it be nice if there was a PREVIEW button here to see if we got the form and spelling/facts right?!?

• 1 month later...
On 9/10/2017 at 8:12 AM, JJHNSN said:

I just brought home a Glock 19 (Gen 5) and found that in spite of my monster size hands I actually prefer it with no additional backstrap, thus making it, effectively, a SF grip size for myself.

As I recall in his review of the Gen5 Model19, Hickok45 said the same thing, and he  has huge hands.  I have normal size hands and prefer it without the optional backstraps too.  I like the feel of it right out of the box.  Your preference will be a very personal one and may not depend on the size of your hands.

Edited by Texagun