The Kind of Men Who Carry Pocketknives

pipedreams

Takes about four minutes to read, it may hit a cord with some.. 

"Though less than forty years have passed, I am often astonished to see just how drastic the world has changed from the time I was a small boy.  Some of these changes have been for the better, but others – just to put it bluntly – I’m not so sure about."

http://appalachianmagazine.com/2018/10/24/the-kind-of-men-who-carry-pocketknives/

"Who are the kind of men who still carry pocketknives?  They are the type of men who earn an honest living, work hard and stand fearless in a world gone mad.  To put it simply, they are the type of men the world could use a lot more of these days."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

It would be a pain for me to do the farm work without a pocket knife.  I've carried one for years now.  Having said that, when I was managing the bookstore, I was carrying a boxcutter, not a knife.  And when I was working in an office, I wasn't carrying a knife at all.  Yes, society has. changed, and I am old enough to say NOT for the better.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

It would be a pain for me to do the farm work without a pocket knife.  I've carried one for years now.  Having said that, when I was managing the bookstore, I was carrying a boxcutter, not a knife.  And when I was working in an office, I wasn't carrying a knife at all.  Yes, society has. changed, and I am old enough to say NOT for the better.

I view a pocketknife as a tool and I do carry one just about everywhere.  Even in an office environment.  A good one but not so good that I'd freak out if I lost it.

At work I often have three - a pocketknife in my RH pocket, a multitool on my belt, and a folding boxcutter in my LH pocket.  That one is good if I need to loan a knife out because the blades are easily replaceable.

BTW - a boxcutter is a knife.  Ask the TSA. ?

• Like 3

My father always said "A gentleman ALWAYS carries a pocket knife. You never know when you'll need to cut a thread for a lady."

I've carried one for almost 60 years now.

I carry a Boker titanium scaled lockback with a ceramic blade. So light, you can hardly tell it's there. When I heard they were discontinuing that model, I bought three extra. I'm still using the first one, it will probably outlast me. I don't know what I'll do with the other ones.

Edited by BamaBud
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, BamaBud said:

My father always said "A gentleman ALWAYS carries a pocket knife. You never know when you'll need to cut a thread for a lady."

I've carried one for almost 60 years now.

An old engineer who went to the church I went to while growing up said once that he never met a decent engineer who didn't carry a pocketknife.  Because any decent engineer is always fiddling with something.

• Like 2

I always have a pocket knife with me, always, cept when I bored an airplane.  When I was in high school most of us had folding Buck knives on our belts. 

If I am wearing carpenter style jeans whether at work or play, I also always have a utility knife in the leg pocket as well as my pocket knife in my main pocket.

• Like 2

Since the early 1990s I had a Spyderco Ladybug, until 2005 or 2006 when my wife saw it in my keys/pens/change basket.  Since then, I've been carrying an Al Mar ultralight (the smallest one they make).  The blade and body are all scratched up and the thumbstud was lost 5 or 7 years ago but I can't afford a new one at their current prices!  LOL! 

Anyway, my Al Mar is as perfectly serviceable as the day it was purchased all those years ago!             

Started with an official Cub Scout pocket knife when I was eight years old (1958.)

Have had one in my pocket ever since.

I used to be a nice guy and hand it to folk that needed to open a box or cut a string, but after many dulled, broken or bent blades, now I just smlle and walk away.

• Like 1

I carry one all the time and get crap from some people for it.  "What do you need a knife for?"  15 minutes later "Can you open this box?"  Morons.

I don't get how their brain works, they seem to think a knife is some kind of threat and you everyone around you a reason for carrying it.  It is a tool, I carry it because it is better to have and not need than to need and not have, not that hard to carry and I actually end up using it multiple times a day and THERE IS NO REASON NOT TO you stupid snowflake.

• Like 3