F-16 production to India?

Moeman

I think keep producing here and make them super drones. But... https://www.businesstoday.in/top-story/lockheed-sees-a-potential-export-market-of-20-billion-for-f-16-fighter-jets-from-proposed-indian-plant/story/312338.html

Story

Lockheed Martin offers to shift fighter aircraft F-16 production from US to India

Lockheed Martin is competing with Boeing's F/A-18, Saab's Gripen, Dassault Aviation's Rafale, the Eurofighter Typhoon and a Russian aircraft to supply the Indian Air Force

• Like 1

That isn't as unusual as you might think.

Both Israel and Japan do not buy American military aircraft, they will only build them in the home country under license.

And, no, we don't give them all of the really good stuff.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, tous said:

Both Israel and Japan do not buy American military aircraft, they will only build them in the home country under license.

Yeah but this is India. Right next door to our wonderful friends Pakistan. Not a good idea IMO. 

5 hours ago, MikeG36 said:

I'm pretty sure we have strict controls on the export of technology. Especially when it comes to things like weapons - AKA fighter aircraft. I'd be surprised if the US Gov would let that happen.

Mitsubishi built F-15s in the 80s and 90s under license. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tous said:

I thought Israel bought US-built planes but put their own EWS systems in?

33 minutes ago, SC Tiger said:

Yes, I think that was a big oversimplification.  Lockheed doesn't even make the engines or the ejector seat or ...  Probably assembled in Israel along with some components made in Israel.

India is a pretty good ally and right next to China soooo.....

11 minutes ago, RenoF250 said:

Yes, I think that was a big oversimplification.  Lockheed doesn't even make the engines or the ejector seat or ...  Probably assembled in Israel along with some components made in Israel.

Yes, the United States has played a hand in the past in arming Israel.  They just took what was given and made it better.

3 hours ago, Al Czervik said:

Mitsubishi built F-15s in the 80s and 90s under license. 

Not really a valid comparison IMO. (First world vs third world countries.) 

ETA: I forgot to mention that export laws have tightened up in the last few years. Computer technology / software / mechanical systems / etc. are all tightly regulated now. Getting export licenses should be much more difficult now than in the past. 

Edited by MikeG36
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, RenoF250 said:

We are all going to take sides sooner than later, and we definitely want India on our side (and able to defend itself).  As the arms race between India and China grows, India has the good sense to build its own when it can, but buy weapon systems outright when it needs to.  China on the other hand insists on building everything itself and this stroke of ego leaves them with some seriously compromised platforms.  The Indian model would appear to be superior.  I wish them the best as the power struggles in their corner of the world grow. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, RenoF250 said:

The way I thought (maybe assumed) it worked was that Lockheed built the airframe, put in the engines, ejector seat, etc - that Israel wanted and flew it to Israel for the EWS systems to be fitted. 

Because the damn thing can't fly without an engine and a seat, and I believe they are delivered by flying them to their destination.

(whereas the F-5 was often delivered in a box I believe)

• Administrators
10 hours ago, MikeG36 said:

I'm pretty sure we have strict controls on the export of technology. Especially when it comes to things like weapons - AKA fighter aircraft. I'd be surprised if the US Gov would let that happen.

It's called ITAR.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

I'm not sure, but I believe that they bought F-15s before they had the means to make them.

Israel has their own industry to make stuff to hang under the wings.

I wasn't really involved in that side of the business.

But, we do know that the Israelis developed the Kfir from the French Mirage as a home-grown platform and from Israel's perspective, that makes sense.

Israel cannot depend on any country, even the US, for defense.  If the can't make it, the chances are good they won't have it when they need it.

Yes, we sell them good stuff (or they simply steal it,) but imagine the lead-up to another  Arab-Israeli War and President Harris or President Booker decides to cut off military sales to Israel.

Edited by tous
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, tous said:

I'm not sure, but I believe that they bought F-15s before they had the means to make them.

Israel has their own industry to make stuff to hang under the wings.

I wasn't really involved in that side of the business.

But, we do know that the Israelis developed the Kafir from the French Mirage as a home-grown platform and from Israel's perspective, that makes sense.

Israel cannot depend on any country, even the US, for defense.  If the can't make it, the chances are good they won't have it when they need it.

Yes, we sell them good stuff (or they simply steal it,) but imagine the lead-up to another  Arab-Isreali War and President Harris or President Booker decides to cut off military sales to Israel.

Do they still fly the Kfir or is it obsolete?  The one thing I remember reading about it is that forward visibility was not good.  Probably an easy fix though - take some **** off of the dashboard.

I can definitely see why any country would want to be self-sufficient when it comes to arms production.  

• Like 1

I just looked and it appears that the Kfir is still active.

Most likely as a bomb truck or ground support platform.  It is outclassed as an air superiority platform.

I really admire Israel.

I think of them as the John Wayne country.  Affable, fair, easy to get along with, but if you mess with them, be prepared for painful defeat.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, tous said:

I just looked and it appears that the Kfir is still active.

Most likely as a bomb truck or ground support platform.  It is outclassed as an air superiority platform.

I really admire Israel.

I think of them as the John Wayne country.  Affable, fair, easy to get along with, but if you mess with them, be prepared for painful defeat.

There's a movie I want to see on Netflix called "7 days in Entebbe" or something like that, about the Israeli raid to free hostages taken in Uganda on an Air France flight.

There is one quote in the trailer that epitomizes Israel IMO:

"Shimon Peres: There can be no negotiations with terrorists.

Yitzhak Rabin: You want to invade Uganda, Shimon?

Shimon Peres: We'll give it back to them when we leave."

FVCK YEAH!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Silentpoet said:

Ever hear of the Indian FAL?  Indian .303 ammo?

Was that forty years ago or fifty?

Like I said, India is purchasing a lot of equipment they can't manufacture themselves.  Ever hear of the Chinese aircraft carrier?  Chinese stealth aircraft?   It's likely that India learned from some of its past failures.

Edited by minervadoe