How the trail runner attacked by a mountain lion in Larimer County killed the animal

minervadoe

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/02/05/how-runner-killed-mountain-lion-attack-larimer-county/

How the trail runner attacked by a mountain lion in Larimer County killed the animal

Necropsy: Jogger suffocated mountain lion in life-or-death struggle

“After additional investigation, including examination of the lion, we have confirmed the victim’s account that he was able to suffocate the animal while defending himself from attack,”

It’s unclear whether the runner — who has not yet been identified publicly — strangled or smothered the mountain lion. He had no weapons, so he killed the cat with his bare, bleeding hands after climbing on top of the animal, state wildlife officials said.

Edited by minervadoe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, janice6 said:

Does that limit your choice of companionship...…..

Quite to the contrary, I find that it has expanded my social horizons immensely.  I mean you might need to lower your standards a bit, but it helps me to meet a whole new class of people.

• Haha 2

On 2/5/2019 at 4:17 PM, tadbart said:

I just read a new article that states the original story about the cat being strangled was wrong. The cat was beaten to death with two HUGE brass balls.

I wouldn't really call it balls since he was defending himself.  If he jumped in and helped someone else being attacked or if he continues to hike out there it is balls.  Not saying choking the thing out is not impressive either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geofri said:

Badass.  I always wanted to kill a boar/deer with only a knife.. but bare handed is just wild. 

Roy Boehm reportedly killed a shark with a dive knife.  He had survived the USS Indiana and was looking for payback.  As I recall it happened in the Caribbean sea somewhere.  Might have been the Florida Keys.  He saw a shark and decided to extract some pay back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Al Czervik said:

I figured from the area, that a rock was involved.  I'm guessing as well, that it was a small kitty.

I just thought it would be interesting to have a fight between a crackhead and a mountain lion, maybe put a nice rock in the middle of the cage.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Silentpoet said:

Roy Boehm reportedly killed a shark with a dive knife.  He had survived the USS Indiana and was looking for payback.  As I recall it happened in the Caribbean sea somewhere.  Might have been the Florida Keys.  He saw a shark and decided to extract some pay back.

Depending on how that played out, that's quite a feat.  Stabbing underwater isn't easy. They are slow to give up.  Shooting one with your speargun is a sure fire way to damage and/or lose your gear. 

Edited by geofri
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Silentpoet said:

"Sooo… 1,100 men went into the water. 316 men came out, The sharks too the rest. June 29, 1945."

• Sad 1