"Fyre" - Documentary

SC Tiger

Anyone watch the Documentary "Fyre" on Netflix?  It's about a big music festival that was attempted in the Bahamas.  First on Pablo Escobar's island, then on another island.

I'm about halfway through.  The guy who spearheaded the whole thing has got to be the ultimate in dishonest businessmen.  Apparently he can lie with the best of them, do it with a straight face, and not even be phased.  THAT is a true talent (sarcasm).  Paid a bunch of Instagram models to come out and take photos and tag them with #Fyrefestival or something like that.

It's worth checking out.  Kinda damning on the millennial generation since they were the target of this whole festival.  It also is a lesson in exactly how little substance can be behind something formed through social media.

Btw the guy who tried to do this is now in prison.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Pima Pants said:

I watched it and agree with your assessment. So many "beautiful people", with more money than brains, got scammed.

I didn't realize it was as recent as it was.  

Honestly - in retrospect it's hard to believe they didn't see through this scam.  People tried to tell them.

I felt bad for one guy because he was working on a contract and they were basically holding 70% of his pay over his head.  That said - he should never have negotiated that.  Bare f'n minimum he should have made sure he would come out at least even if he had to leave early due to "creative differences" - ie disagreeing with the head guy creating facts out of his head.

The bad part is that the guy running it then got busted AGAIN for another scam.  Dude is a sociopath.  I think he went to jail for that one - trying to sell tickets and access to events that do not allow general access tickets, etc.  Dinner with Taylor Swift (who doesn't do that).  That guy is a straight-up criminal.  Nothing more.  2-bit crook who's a smooth talker.

I kinda felt bad for some of the other guys who got caught up in the mess.  It was their decision but I don't think they were out to scam anybody.  That said they could have pulled out at any time.

The ones I REALLY feel bad for are the workers at the event - the day laborers in the Bahamas.  They got absolutely shafted.

The whole thing is also a good lesson in what happens when you have someone claim they aren't about problems, they are about solutions.  Bullshit statement.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

Yeah - if someone tells you "I need you to suck his dick to get (insert any supply here)" - that's a sign you are NOT dealing with a stable situation.

There are a lot of questions I have about that whole thing, but two near the top of the list are why shower and use mouthwash before the anticipated dick sucking?  Dicks don't really have a keen sense of smell.  More importantly, why the **** would you tell people about it?  

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, SigMan said:

There are a lot of questions I have about that whole thing, but two near the top of the list are why shower and use mouthwash before the anticipated dick sucking?  Dicks don't really have a keen sense of smell.  More importantly, why the **** would you tell people about it?  

I think it was to show how screwed up this whole thing was.  The guy who was supposed to do it is a homosexual and isn't trying to hide it so maybe it wasn't as big of a deal?  Or the guy in charge thought it wouldn't be as big of a deal?

Buf of all of my questions - I have several above those.  Like at what point should it have been obvious that this **** wasn't gonna happen?  And what was your endgame?

The bit about not firing anyone but telling them they wouldn't get paid anymore (so they couldn't draw unemployment) was another dick move.  Not even sure why you would do that.