TSA screener commits suicide at Orlando airport...

PNWguy

https://www.local10.com/news/florida/security-issue-at-orlando-airport-halts-flights-officials-say

ORLANDO, Fla. - A Transportation Security Administration officer was killed Saturday morning after jumping from a hotel balcony into the atrium of Orlando International Airport, authorities said.

The incident caused the Federal Aviation Administration to briefly ground all flights, causing delays and massive lines at security checkpoints, which were closed because of the suicide. 

Sgt. Eduardo Bernal, a spokesman for the Orlando Police Department, said the officer jumped from an upper floor of the Hyatt Regency Hotel into the atrium area of the airport, where some security checkpoints begin.

Paramedics transported the man, who was in his 40s, to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Police called the suicide an isolated incident and said reports of other security issues were false.

"We are working closely with our partners at @TSA and @MCO to restore normal airport operations. We ask that you have patience with airport personnel as they work through this tragic incident," the department said on Twitter.

Jim Gregory, a spokesman for TSA, said the officer had just finished his shift when he jumped.

Souces told ABC News that investigators believe the incident was a "statement suicide," designed to send a message to the public. 

The officer’s personal and work histories are now being examined and his social media is being dissected to determine what prompted the apparent suicide, the sources said. 

The incident caused several security checkpoints to be breached, a spokesperson for the airport said

Idiot. I've sat many times waiting on a flight at MCO in view of that scene. Lots of kids saw something that they never should have had to seen today. F that guy. I hope it hurt.

Also, he wasn't the brightest. He did this after work, instead of before.

Edited by tadbart
  • Like 4

50 minutes ago, tadbart said:

Idiot. I've sat many times waiting on a flight at MCO in view of that scene. Lots of kids saw something that they never should have had to seen today. F that guy. I hope it hurt.

Also, he wasn't the brightest. He did this after work, instead of before.

Thinking of the bright side, at least he won't do it again.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1