Lawmakers Introduce Bill to Shut U.S. Department of Education

pipedreams

Needs to be done but will be a real battle.

"A coalition of leading conservative, constitutionalist, and liberty-minded lawmakers re-introduced a bill in the new Congress that would shut down the unconstitutional U.S. Department of Education for good. The idea, which has been advanced by GOP leaders ranging from Ronald Reagan to Donald Trump, remains extraordinarily popular among grassroots conservatives. However, among Democrats and establishment Republicans, the massive bureaucracy is seen as crucial to maintaining federal control over the indoctrination of children. Supporters of the bill in Congress, though, argued that parents and local communities — not unelected federal bureaucrats — ought to be in charge of public schools. And with Trump in the White House, the time has never been better to make liberals recognize the dangers of centralized control over education." 

https://www.thenewamerican.com/culture/education/item/31356-lawmakers-introduce-bill-to-shut-u-s-department-of-education

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pipedreams said:

Needs to be done but will be a real battle.

"A coalition of leading conservative, constitutionalist, and liberty-minded lawmakers re-introduced a bill in the new Congress that would shut down the unconstitutional U.S. Department of Education for good. The idea, which has been advanced by GOP leaders ranging from Ronald Reagan to Donald Trump, remains extraordinarily popular among grassroots conservatives. However, among Democrats and establishment Republicans, the massive bureaucracy is seen as crucial to maintaining federal control over the indoctrination of children. Supporters of the bill in Congress, though, argued that parents and local communities — not unelected federal bureaucrats — ought to be in charge of public schools. And with Trump in the White House, the time has never been better to make liberals recognize the dangers of centralized control over education." 

https://www.thenewamerican.com/culture/education/item/31356-lawmakers-introduce-bill-to-shut-u-s-department-of-education

Bravo.  But, it will never happen.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Moshe said:

I think the STAR test should be buried.  Teachers aren't actually teaching anymore, they are just preparing students for the STAR test. 

And a liberal point of view.

I just this afternoon heard another Teacher's union demand for better wages to get better results.  I have heard this for many, many years now and have seen little to make me believe that the two are related.  The only way to get better performance from the students is if the teachers believe in it.  Money doesn't directly improve results, only determination by the players improves the results.  When I see an improvement in the students general knowledge, I will begin to listen to the teacher's arguments.  Not until then.

I speak from the experience of having teachers that taught because they believed in it, and not for the money.    I would gladly approve paying them more for the work that they did then.  Now I see none of that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, janice6 said:

And a liberal point of view.

I just this afternoon heard another Teacher's union demand for better wages to get better results.  I have heard this for many, many years now and have seen little to make me believe that the two are related.  The only way to get better performance from the students is if the teachers believe in it.  Money doesn't directly improve results, only determination by the players improves the results.  When I see an improvement in the students general knowledge, I will begin to listen to the teacher's arguments.  Not until then.

I speak from the experience of having teachers that taught because they believed in it, and not for the money.    I would gladly approve paying them more for the work that they did then.  Now I see none of that.

Government run schools have become the "Catechism class in preparation for Communism".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1