Anyone familiar with state residency laws?

PNWguy

I own a house in Washington state.  I live there.  My vehicles are registered there.  I don't pay income tax because WA doesn't have it.

Due to the new gun laws, I would like to move to Idaho.  I also would like to hunt and fish in Idaho and register my vehicles in Idaho.  I don't want to move to Idaho because houses are more expensive unless I live 20+ miles away from town. 

Fortunately, my parents have a house in Idaho and they spend 7 months a year at their house in Arizona.  I could live in their house while they are gone and pay the increased heating costs.

Just wondering how much time I have to spend in Idaho to legally be able to claim residency.  I'll be living there this coming Spring/summer anyway while renovating my Washington home's only bathroom.

The bad thing is Washington doesn't take out state income tax and Idaho does.  I'm already on a thin budget and the extra $300 a month in lost income is substantial, as is the increased heating bill.

And who actually verifies that you are actually living in the state you claim for the proper amount of time?

The internet is the worst place mankind has ever invented for asking for legal advice. (Which is exactly what you're doing.)

So here's some legal advice: no one checks on where you live, but if your license says Idaho, you're going to pay income tax. Who checks? That's Idaho's problem.

Seriously, it was a two second Google search.  The answer is "6 months". 

You don't get to benefit from Idaho's bounty (like not paying the expensive out-of-state hunting/fishing licenses or cheaper vehicle registration) and not actually live IN Idaho.

https://idfg.idaho.gov/licenses/residency-requirements

Edited by UnifiedFieldTheory

1 hour ago, UnifiedFieldTheory said:

Seriously, it was a two second Google search.  The answer is "6 months". 

You don't get to benefit from Idaho's bounty (like not paying the expensive out-of-state hunting/fishing licenses or cheaper vehicle registration) and not actually live IN Idaho.

https://idfg.idaho.gov/licenses/residency-requirements

Hola, Kat.

PNW/Vart, obviously to get resident ID rates, you'd have to get an ID DL and pay rent to your parents, and/or put the utilities in your name for 6 months.

Sounds like the best option is to just get nonresident tags.

53 minutes ago, Al Czervik said:

Hola, Kat.

PNW/Vart, obviously to get resident ID rates, you'd have to get an ID DL and pay rent to your parents, and/or put the utilities in your name for 6 months.

Sounds like the best option is to just get nonresident tags.

And your question is???  I worked with DHSMV in Florida for many years. States put safeguards like the "6 month clause" in for a reason. It seems a large percentage of people wanting a Hunting/Fishing License, Temporary driver license, or to be able to vote in another state is willing to lie to get what they want quickly. If course, I'm saying that in your case - just in general.  For instance, Florida used to have a "Florida Only Driving License" so snow birds could go to all the touristy places for in-state fees.  Unfortunately, it was found that many people also managed to register to vote in Florida while retaining a permanent residence and Driver License in their home state. Florida foolishly allows mail in and early voting so you can guess where this is going. I am guessing the number of illegal votes numbers into the many, many thousands. 

Unfortunately, there is only one way to fix the situation and make it honest and that is to use a Federal Government clearing house that can verify permanent residence and license for an individual - MORE GOVERNMENT CONTROL. In all honesty, I am surprised this has not already been done. It would make people much easier to track.

15 minutes ago, Citra47 said:

And your question is???  I worked with DHSMV in Florida for many years. States put safeguards like the "6 month clause" in for a reason. It seems a large percentage of people wanting a Hunting/Fishing License, Temporary driver license, or to be able to vote in another state is willing to lie to get what they want quickly. If course, I'm saying that in your case - just in general.  For instance, Florida used to have a "Florida Only Driving License" so snow birds could go to all the touristy places for in-state fees.  Unfortunately, it was found that many people also managed to register to vote in Florida while retaining a permanent residence and Driver License in their home state. Florida foolishly allows mail in and early voting so you can guess where this is going. I am guessing the number of illegal votes numbers into the many, many thousands. 

Unfortunately, there is only one way to fix the situation and make it honest and that is to use a Federal Government clearing house that can verify permanent residence and license for an individual - MORE GOVERNMENT CONTROL. In all honesty, I am surprised this has not already been done. It would make people much easier to track.

I don't have a question.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MikeG36 said:

Re gun laws, the worst is yet to come. You hear what they're proposing in OR? 5 round magazine limit. No grandfathering. No exceptions. Six shot revolver - BANNED!   :angryfire: 

I heard something about a 20-rounds per month ammunition purchasing restriction as well...

It looks like it's about time to put up or shut up in regards to fighting for our constitution.