Social Security Administration kudos

gwalchmai

OK, I usually whine about BigGov but I have to give credit where it's due. I applied for Social Security on Jan 16 and they deposited my first payment on Feb 1. That's outstanding service, especially considering that the government is shut down. I guess there are no non-essentials at SSA. :599c64b15e0f8_thumbsup:

• Like 5

12 hours ago, KWalrad said:

The Government is shut down? When did that happen?

I gotta quit drinking.

Or drink more.

Oh yeah. Liberals are screeching about it on the TV. You can't find a gummint-funded offense counselor to save your life.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My grandpa always told me "social security checks are for pocket money" meaning you better have saved enough for retirement to not count on SS.

Goes along with what my great-grandfather told me many years ago...."When you're young and poor you can still work and save. When you're old and poor nobody gives a damn about you ".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 11:12 PM, gwalchmai said:

OK, I usually whine about BigGov but I have to give credit where it's due. I applied for Social Security on Jan 16 and they deposited my first payment on Feb 1. That's outstanding service, especially considering that the government is shut down. I guess there are no non-essentials at SSA. :599c64b15e0f8_thumbsup:

There always is.  Furthermore, the retirement check keeps coming which I couldn't understand on non-retired side.  I guess, they don't want to rile older people, with not a lot of time before taking a dirt nap.  It could be dangerous for them, in their estimation, I suppose.

I worked in the private sector from the time I was 16 till 45 except for the 4 years I attended College. I paid into Soc Sec all that time. At 45 I became a teacher in an inner city school and the school system deducted 6% of my salary to put into a teachers retirement account but not for SS. So far so Good. When I retired, Social Security wacked my SS payments 70% for the "windfall elimination" rule since I was able to collect a teachers pension. My SS monthly payment is $312 after paying into SS for 25 years!  Tell me that doesn't SUCK!!

Edited by VinD
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Cali-Glock said:

SS is welfare designed to provide just enough money to keep destiture old folks from having to live in the gutter.

And in a first world country, why not? If you ever get a disease or cancer, or serious car wreck etc... your life changes. It is not insurance, respect the elderly. And who can say if private 401 Ks and pensions are secure? We bail out under funded pensions alll the time and a time bomb ticks there. 

Edited by Moeman

2 hours ago, VinD said:

I worked in the private sector from the time I was 16 till 45 except for the 4 years I attended College. I paid into Soc Sec all that time. At 45 I became a teacher in an inner city school and the school system deducted 6% of my salary to put into a teachers retirement account but not for SS. So far so Good. When I retired, Social Security wacked my SS payments 70% for the "windfall elimination" rule since I was able to collect a teachers pension. My SS monthly payment is $312 after paying into SS for 25 years!  Tell me that doesn't SUCK!!

It does.  Al Gore and his "Lock Box" and Congress raiding it for anything but its intended purpose.  They also treat the G Fun of the Government version of a 401k (in this sense Stock and Bonds), all the time as well.

For a specific political reason. The least you can affect the general population, the more you can play around with the 13th Amendment.  The Government has had their hand smacked for that before.  But, they are like Dory the Fish with their memory. They learned during the last shutdown, affecting the military that it was not politically expedient, nor safe.