Veteran Houston cop shot third time on the job 'had to go in' to gunfight

TBO

7 minutes ago, EdTracker said:

Looks like an oooopppssssiiieee...

No one will be held accountable.

Everyone is held accountable for what they do.  That is why we had OPR, and I have witnessed an at work arrest, That is why there is an I.A. for everyone else.  FLEO's/LEO's are held to a higher standard.  But, citizens are equally liable for their own behavior.  It is a two way street.  There is no "US" and "Them" there is a "we".

https://www.registerednursing.org/suicide-rates-profession/

I found it amusing that teachers/educators have the lowest rate in this survey.  I guess if you're an educator who can with a straight face teach and preach "progressive" values to young people year after year after year, your brain has pretty much become dead emotionally.    No vegetable has ever committed suicide.   

Edited by PATCHMAN
  • Like 1

Police identify powder recovered in deadly drug raid as cocaine

Three days after the botched drug raid that left two residents dead and five officers wounded, authorities identified the unknown powder they found at the scene of the bloody bust.

The Thursday news conference revealed that the powder was cocaine, perhaps answering one of the nagging questions raised after the Pecan Park raid targeting a pair of alleged heroin dealers.

"Our number one goal," said police Chief Art Acevedo, "is always to find out the good, the bad, the ugly and to be transparent."

He went on to push back against the union chief's fiery comments on TV, offer more details about the reasons for the raid, and condemn lingering "conspiracy theories."

"There are people who believe in Flat Earth," he said. "I can't control what people think."

It started Jan. 8, he said, when an anonymous caller phoned police to complain that her daughter was "doing drugs" inside the Harding Street home. The woman was standing outside, looking in the windows, she told police, adding a warning that the couple had "a lot of guns."

When officers showed up, they didn't see anything amiss, though they spotted a passerby talking on the phone. When asked, the woman said she hadn't called 911, then turned back to her call and allegedly said, "Hey the police are at the dope house."

Stymied, police called back the woman who first complained, but she refused to give up any more info, saying she feared for her life. So the officers started an investigation.

A few weeks later, police sent in a confidential informant, who allegedly purchased some black tar heroin inside the home. The next day, undercovers in tactical gear showed up with a warrant.

They burst in the door, and shot the couple's dog, kicking off a gun battle that ended in the deaths of Dennis Tuttle and Rhogena Nicholas. Police said that Tuttle — a Navy veteran — snuck around the back of the house and opened fire on officers, while Nicholas reached for a wounded officer's gun.

Five officers were hurt, including one who blew out his knee. Four others were shot, and are all recovering. Police seized marijuana, some weapons and an initially unidentified powder now deemed to be cocaine.

Afterward, family and friends of the slain couple repeatedly stressed that they weren't drug users or sellers, instead describing them as quiet animal-lovers who kept to the themselves.

But union chief Joe Gamaldi sparked controversy with heated comments in a Monday press conference, where he told anyone "spreading the rhetoric that police officers are the enemy" that "we've got your number."

"We're sick and tired of having targets on our backs," he continued. "We are sick and tired of having dirtbags trying to take our lives when all we're trying to do is protect this community and our families."

Two days later, he doubled down in a Fox & Friends interview, blaming activists and "talking heads" for "harmful narratives" ever since Michael Brown's killing in Ferguson in 2014.
Gamaldi's comments, Acevedo said, were unhelpful and only added to the "brouhaha" around the shoot-out.

"He went a little over the top," Acevedo added. "A lot over the top, if you ask me."

Acevedo repeatedly stressed that he — not Gamaldi — ran the Houston Police Department and that Gamaldi's words had had a "damaging impact." He said some other officers had barely been able to hide their displeasure at the news conference Monday — joking that one officer in particular "shouldn't play poker."

Activist Ashton Woods, who attended Thursday's press conference, demanded an apology and resignation from the outspoken union head, adding that he'd hope Acevedo would go further with his criticism of the firebrand.

"I wish he had said unabashedly that he needs to be looking for a new (police union) president," Woods said. Gamaldi, he said, "should go back to New York."

https://www.chron.com/houston/article/Powder-found-in-police-raid-identified-13578839.php

Sent from my Jackboot using Copatalk

Edited by TBO
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, steve4102 said:

They raided the wrong house.

I like how, just by walking past the house in the background, he's already pronounced it more likely to be a drug house than the supposedly "wrong" house.  

Edited by PATCHMAN
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, PATCHMAN said:

I like how, just by walking past the house in the background, he's already pronounced it more likely to be a drug house than the supposedly "wrong" house.  

With the same number, and a similar sounding street name, it is a possibility.  Throw in the fence and cameras that were, as he says, a description of the so-called drug house, it would seem somewhat likely anyhow.  

To my mind, a six shot revolver and he makes four hits?  

Hawk 

1 hour ago, EdTracker said:

Sometimes things go wrong. It is the way of the universe.

How we address mistakes and defeats defines our character and integrity.

Agreed.  

And I also ask one question when things go wrong.  I ask...  was it a mistake of the heart?  Or was it a mistake of the mind.  The vast, vast majority of the time when things go wrong for LE, it's mistakes of the heart.   OTOH, for LE critics and haters, who have the advantages of safety and time to contemplate, their mistakes are either intentional or grossly negligent bordering on making stories up.       

Then we get the opportunity to see each side's character and integrity.  

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, my first instinct if I hear Law Enforcement announcing coming through the door, is to start shooting. -NOT.  That is why there are attorneys.  When you hear Police Search Warrant! And they are clearly the PD, and you shoot them, its on you.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2019 at 9:57 PM, Moshe said:

Yeah, my first instinct if I hear Law Enforcement announcing coming through the door, is to start shooting. -NOT.  That is why there are attorneys.  When you hear Police Search Warrant! And they are clearly the PD, and you shoot them, its on you.

You’re assuming that they announced they were Police. 

You’re assuming he heard them over the sound of the door breach and shooting the dog (with what looks like a shotgun) and his wife. 

Youre assuming they were clearly marked police officers. 

What we currently know as a fact is the lead officer in this incident was an undercover agent. We also know he’s been suspended for lying about the bust, and the FBI is investigating him for lying on 1,400 other cases.   

Typically in my limited experience undercovers don’t wear full police uniforms.

I understand that you made some rather bold statements in the earlier days of this, your doubling down now doesn’t make much sense. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, AK_Stick said:

You’re assuming he heard them over the sound of the door breach and shooting the dog (with what looks like a shotgun) and his wife. 

What we currently know as a fact is the lead officer in this incident was an undercover agent. We also know he’s been suspended for lying about the bust, and the FBI is investigating him for lying on 1,400 other cases.   

Typically in my limited experience undercovers don’t wear full police uniforms.

I understand that you made some rather bold statements in the earlier days of this, your doubling down now doesn’t make much sense. 

Even the no warrant/4th Amendment Violators in this town announce and just go in.  It is amazing they get any convictions at all.

14 hours ago, AK_Stick said:

Are you implying all three conditions happened here?  That they DID NOT announce they were police.  That he DID NOT hear any commands such as "Police" over the sound of door breach and shooting...?  That they were NOT marked as police?

IIRC, they had a no-knock warrant.  In my limited experience, even with no-knock warrants, once they take the first step into a location, they loudly announce "police" again and again and again and again.   

IIRC, cocaine was found in the house.  Is cocaine illegal in TX?  I believe it still is.  So did the homeowners know they had illegal drugs in their house and believed the police were coming for them?          

Edited by PATCHMAN
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, PATCHMAN said:

Are you implying all three conditions happened here?  That they DID NOT announce they were police.  That he DID NOT hear any commands such as "Police" over the sound of door breach and shooting...?  That they were NOT marked as police?

IIRC, they had a no-knock warrant.  In my limited experience, even with no-knock warrants, once they take the first step into a location, they loudly announce "police" again and again and again and again.   

IIRC, cocaine was found in the house.  Is cocaine illegal in TX?  I believe it still is.  So did the homeowners know they had illegal drugs in their house and believed the police were coming for them?          

Nope I’m assuming nothing. 

But we know for a fact the cop cop lied to get his warrant. And we know for a fact that it was an undercover raid. And we know for a fact that they did not recover any quantity of heroin which was the claimed drug they were pedaling.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/us/houston-cops-scrapping-no-knock-warrants-for-undercover-raids.amp

They did find an “unidentified white powder” and some marijuana but I haven’t seen anything that has said it has been proven to be cocaine, or any quantity. Again I’m not assuming it was or wasn’t  but I suspect if they had found a sizable amount of either, they probably would have lead with that.  

Instead we see the city implementing dramatic changes to policy, suspending the officer and telling the media that he lied, and the FBI moving in to investigate. Those are not things that make it seem like everything that happened was on the up and up.