Cotton MN hits 56-below this morning, and that's not the wind chill

TBO

Cotton MN hits 56-below this morning, and that's not the wind chill

Cotton bottomed-out at 56 below zero this morning while International Falls set a new daily record at 45 below zero as the Polar Vortex weather system pumped one more batch of cold air into the Northland.

Duluth hit 31 below zero this morning, Ely 38 below and Bemidji 36 below in what forecasters say should be the final deep freeze day of a frigid week.Temperatures by Sunday could be 60 degrees warmer, with highs approaching 30 degrees above zero in parts of the Northland.

All of those morning temperatures were unofficial as of 9 a.m., and some colder readings are still possible. Dangerous wind chills continue today across the region, including 50 below this morning in Duluth.

Cotton has become one of the state's coldest official temperature readings in recent winters. A relatively new reporting station, the town sits amidst a large area of bog and lowlands, where cold air can pool and settle.

A 6 mph northwest wind was still blowing this morning, mixing air just enough to prevent record cold temperatures. Had it been calm it’s possible Cotton could have bottomed-out below the state’s all-time record of 60 below zero set in 1996 in Tower.

International Falls previous record low for Jan. 31 was a mere 35 below zero.

While meteorologists suspect temperatures in remote areas of the Northland, such as Koochiching County, no official reporting sites have cracked the 60-below threshold.

The Wisconsin record of 55 below was set two days later — Feb. 4, 1996 — at a cooperative site 7 miles west of Couderay, in Sawyer County.

Check duluthnewstribune.com for weather updates throughout the day.

A high of 15 degrees is predicted Friday and a high of 28 degrees is predicted Saturday, the Weather Service said.

By Wednesday afternoon, two people sought treatment for frostbite at Essentia Health-St. Mary’s Medical Center while staff also treated “lots of falls” due to ice, according to spokeswoman Maureen Talarico. St. Luke’s only reported seeing one person for “frost nip,” said spokeswoman Melissa Burlaga.

Record%20low%20temperatures.jpg?itok=mQJ

link

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Moshe said:

Interesting.  You would think that the areas around the Great Lakes would be more colder, as it acts like an air conditioner in the summer.

I think the water warms the air up a bit?

Like, when it's extremely cold?

Could be wrong though.

9 minutes ago, M&P15T said:

I think the water warms the air up a bit?

Like, when it's extremely cold?

Could be wrong though.

Superior is a large thermal sink.  It has to have some moderating effect due to its large thermal mass, not only in the air, but conduction to the nearby shore ground areas as in Duluth

My wife and I would always go down lakeside in the Summer on a bench for the free A/C and in the Fall with the huge chunks of ICE down by the docks, we would try to find someplace warm to go.  I have been on the lake many times.  They always have a tour going in and out.  Heck, I went to Wisconsin via Duluth.  The other side made me happy I could carry my service pistol wherever I went.

30 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Superior is a large thermal sink.  It has to have some moderating effect due to its large thermal mass, not only in the air, but conduction to the nearby shore ground areas as in Duluth

I'm..........sooooo.........are you agreeing? Disagreeing?

Image result for dumb and dumber

• Like 1

I was effected by the cold today. My bus, the fuel gelled and it ran like pooh to the point I called and ordered a different bus to swap out. Fortunately, I was 30 mins from shop. Swap out was quick.