Very cool planetary lineup

Huaco Kid

That article was dated 2016?? 

I noticed something similar last summer and still on going. Mars is still out there early in the evening but it's climbed really high in the sky and is dimming.

I've been watching it since last summer when I happened to notice the planetary line up in 2018. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

dang.  I even made an effort to double-check the date.  I actually wondered why they didn't include the moon-slice in the pictures,  but it was very similar to what I saw this morning

Not sure how you took that text but you do know I wasn't dissing on you, right? I was more confused. Keep posting things like this. I love astronomy. My nights are spent marveling the nighttime skies and I'm always up for tracking the ISS.

This morning about 6:30 AM CST the quarter of the moon was positioned between Venus and Jupiter, IIRC. They were the only 3 "spots" in the sky as it was getting light. Go out about 4 AM and Venus will about blind you.

I've also gotten in to Flightaware as I have a lot of traffic that flies overhead. Come to find some jets are going from the west coast over to the UK. I was blown away by that since I'm in the middle of the country. My original reason was to find out when a jet is in a certain air space in relation to me, where is it exactly. Seems as though I can see about a 50 mile radius of airliners above me. Yeah, I'm bit whacked. Who isn't? :P 

Edited by Bish1309
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Huaco Kid said:

Check this place out:     https://www.heavens-above.com/

Lots of cool stuff.  The ISS and many satellites can be very visible.

We use it when camping and sometimes the ISS will go by every 90 minutes, or so.  Then everyone,  even the nondrinkers, has to do a shot, to salute the astronauts.

Great site. I'm in trouble now. When will I have time to get my work done?

2 hours ago, Bish1309 said:

. I love astronomy. My nights are spent marveling the nighttime skies and I'm always up for tracking the ISS. .... Yeah, I'm bit whacked. Who isn't? :P 

Not whacked!!   You have to understand how awesome that it is.  I live in a hugely populated area (San Jose, CA) and there is so much ambient light at night that I cannot see any stars, just an occasional planet or satellite.  For about twelve summers I spent my vacation time backpacking and was always awed by the stars in the night sky. I always wished that I had a nice telescope on those trips.  ........   Just a city guys perspective.   Count yourself lucky.  

Edited by minervadoe
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, minervadoe said:

Not whacked!!   You have to understand how awesome that it is.  I live in a hugely populated area (San Jose, CA) and there is so much ambient light at night that I cannot see any stars, just an occasional planet or satellite.  For about twelve summers I spent my vacation time backpacking and was always awed by the stars in the night sky. I always wished that I had a nice telescope on those trips.  ........   Just a city guys perspective.   Count yourself lucky.  

I do. I am simply fascinated by all that is.

8 hours ago, Bish1309 said:

I do. I am simply fascinated by all that is.

It is likely more complicated than we can ever imagine.  Enjoy your star gazing.  One of my local junior colleges opens its observatory to the public on occasional weekend nights.  A docent will be viewing several of the more interesting phenomena available that night.  I always get a sense of calmness and serenity from the viewing, but a sense of unease from clearly hearing conversations reflected from other areas under the dome.  Still, if given the opportunity, I can imagine really getting into it.  Kudos.  Not whacked.  On track.  What better thing than to enjoy nature's beauty. 

• Thanks 1