Peds Clinicals

tadbart

Just spent 11 hours immersed in stickydirty nasty little petri dishes in clinical rotation for Pediatrics.

Though it may have been the worst eleven hours of my life, I kinda enjoyed rasslin' with the downs syndrome kid and being looked at as the professional in the room when a coworker brought her own kid in...

I promise to not specialize in kids when I get done.

• Like 3

I know people who still buy into that lie.  It was a bogus report written in the UK, to try to discredit another pharmaceutical company in scam, and a proven scam.  Yet, people refuse to vaccinate their children, and cause infant mortality rate in infants who can't yet get the vaccine to protect themselves.  It is like idiots who have bought into a lie and sent their cute little biohazards into the world for the purpose of infanticide.  Though, I hear Cuomo has gone from kissing babies to killing them as it is.

Down syndrome happens as well as twins when women have children older in life.  A lot of women want to be independent and then want a kid, like a more intelligent puppy to keep them busy.  Then they wonder what went wrong?  Someone is to blame, someplace, somewhere, right?

Edited by Moshe
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Silentpoet said:

I don’t know if autism is more common or just more commonly diagnosed these days.  But something seems different from when I was a kid.

a decent percentage of our foster kids have autism.

It's not vaccinations, it's not anything new, it's just being diagnosed more. Kids are also going to get bad psychological disorders more often, as more and more are addicted to electronics and gaming from a very young age, where they withdraw into themselves and don't learn how to interact with other people properly.

Well, it is a spectrum.  Anywhere from Autism to Aspergers.  I have often wonder about my son, though, he was first born and turning 16, he doesn't understand empathy.  Though, his mother is similar.  But, that is how some people view the matrix of reality.  My father-in-law seemed incapable except that his later obsessions remained.  But, his social interactions were only for a negative reaction.  My son doesn't challenge me, but he butts heads with his mother, probably because they have similar personalities.  Homogeneous personalities don't often work though.  It is a bit like taking two microphones together or scratching your fingers on a chalk board if the person is exactly like you.

You gentlemen all present interesting points. Regarding diagnosis, the DSM-4 identifies and differentiates between spots on the autism spectrum. Before that, you basically had "the shy kid," "the weird kid," etc. There are more meaningful diagnoses and diagnostic tools than there were in the 1970s and earlier.

Causes. I read a good article that talked about a missing regulatory protein in the brain, and have heard a lot of folks discussing screen time with infants and toddlers. Personally, I can see maybe a combination of both as factors. Say a child is born without that protein, for whatever reason. You bombard them with all the information kids get these days (even the good stuff, like Baby Einstein), and maybe it sets off a chain of events that lead to an autism diagnosis. 60+ years ago, an infant laid in the crib and looked at the ceiling, was taken out occasionally, and stimulus wasn't as intense as it is today.

Personality. Some people are just gonna be a little more reserved, standoffish, and apparently uncaring. Those whose parents don't challenge that, and attempt to get the child to stretch their views and comfort zones, are doing the child a disservice. So keep pushing the young'un, Moshe. Maybe some of it will stick.

• Like 1

Some studies say a combination of factors, with a genetic problem.  At one time, some were probably called “idiot-savants” - very good on some things, lost on everything else.  I know some autistics like that.  

Those who are worked with do better, so keep that up.  Some kids start with a pad in their crib and little human interaction, and kids need that to grow up well.  

Hawk

36 minutes ago, tadbart said:

You gentlemen all present interesting points. Regarding diagnosis, the DSM-4 identifies and differentiates between spots on the autism spectrum. Before that, you basically had "the shy kid," "the weird kid," etc. There are more meaningful diagnoses and diagnostic tools than there were in the 1970s and earlier.

Causes. I read a good article that talked about a missing regulatory protein in the brain, and have heard a lot of folks discussing screen time with infants and toddlers. Personally, I can see maybe a combination of both as factors. Say a child is born without that protein, for whatever reason. You bombard them with all the information kids get these days (even the good stuff, like Baby Einstein), and maybe it sets off a chain of events that lead to an autism diagnosis. 60+ years ago, an infant laid in the crib and looked at the ceiling, was taken out occasionally, and stimulus wasn't as intense as it is today.

Personality. Some people are just gonna be a little more reserved, standoffish, and apparently uncaring. Those whose parents don't challenge that, and attempt to get the child to stretch their views and comfort zones, are doing the child a disservice. So keep pushing the young'un, Moshe. Maybe some of it will stick.

I have always hated over stimulation.  For instance, I hate being in a concrete jungle having to experience everything at once.  The emotions of the motorists, the shear number of items to keep track of.  I like it simple.  Reflective surfaces let me know who is behind, shadows tell me the same thing.  Perhaps it is an attempt to absorb too much chaos.  Then observing the thing from a whole and the number of things and objects that comprised in a metropolis.  The thing I hate about crowds is keying in on someone and be bombarded with how they are going to die, and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it.  You could be the crazy guy, that approaches someone and tells them you are sorry they are going to be terminally ill with cancer.  I keep those odd revelations to myself.  I watched my father-in-law die over and over and over again.  I know how close my wife was to him, and  I could tell her he is going to have a heart attack, but I don't know when, would only upset her.  Sure enough he did.  So, I don't like the over stimulated and like being in a small group.  Large groups frustrate me.  I try to block everything out as best I can.  My mother has the same problem.  Snippets of a future and sensitive to emotions around her. 

She told me when I came down from Las Cruces, and stayed a bit on my way to Interview for the USBP at the Fusion Center in El Paso, she said you are going to get the job.  I see you in green.  Green is very clear.  She was right.  My favorite color to this day is Green.  From my comfortable 511's to the color of my truck.  Though here surrounded by constant green (the forest) I have started to like FDE for firearms.

She is fascinated when I can tell her what someone is doing and why.  I told her one of he co-workers was screwing around, and didn't believe me until it all came to light.  We were coming back from a dentist appointment, and she said my son would be locked in his room with his phone.  I told her he wasn't.  He was sitting in the arm chair with a bowl of oatmeal and play COD WWII.  She told me, that wasn't possible.  I just laughed.  As soon as we got in he was eating oatmeal and playing COD WWII on the PS4.

The only thing I can say about autism/Asperger's/etc. is that my wife was a long-time speech therapist in a growing suburban school, starting in 1981. Somewhere around 1990, she started coming home with new words about the kids she was working with: autism, etc. Before that, it varied between those who were developmentally disabled (i.e. formerly known as "retarded", often Down Syndrome), or speech difficulties like lisping, stuttering, etc. but in a regular classroom with regular cognitive abilities. IOW, it was like a switch had been thrown in the mix of conditions she was working on with these kids. Some could be in a regular classroom, others had such issues relating to other humans that they couldn't be around other children. They had a broad spectrum of communication issues and she had to get additional training beyond her master's degree to develop the skills and methods to work with these new challenges. From that point forward, that client load only grew in that category. I have no answers, only anecdotal observations and the questions that go along with it. Something happened and I'm about believe in that wild-haired popular meme about "it had to be aliens."

• Thanks 1

blackjack: Healthcare evolves. Consider the following: in the early 90's, during an autopsy at UNM hospital, a doctor recognized a pattern he'd seen before. The outcome was the discovery of the hanta virus found in mouse urine. New Mexico does all it's autopsies at UNM in ABQ, thus a doc was able to remember seeing a young patient who died unexpectedly (many states do autopsies in multiple locations). The hanta virus has been confirmed in all 48 contiguous states now that we look for it.

In the 70's, elderly people departing from reality were all diagnosed as dementia. Now we know of a sub set who have Alzheimers disease, distinct from dementia.

Both Hanta Virus and Alzheimers have been around for a long time, it just took time and luck for them to be recognized. The autism spectrum is relatively new and it's definition and treatment are still evolving.

Hope this helps, and thank your wife for her work.