Toshiba Satellite Computers

SC Tiger

I think I have said something about this before but I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop, and this thing is about the easiest computer to repair there is.

So far I've upgraded the RAM (in fairness it should have shipped with more than 1GB), replaced the keyboard and now replaced the lower casing because the hinge mounts for the screen had pulled out.  Six screws hold the screen to the lower housing, and only one was still threaded in.  New lower case was $24 on Ebay.  All of those upgrades/repairs were a total of less than $100 and I was able to do it myself.

The only bad part is two of the screws that mount the screen go up from the lower housing, through the hinge into the upper.  And the brass threaded insert on one had broken out.  So I got the insert, used it like a nut, and attached the screen that way (still PLENTY of screws to hold the lower to the upper),  New lower has reinforcement in this area to help prevent this from happening again too.

One thing though - SHEESH this thing has a lot of screws.  I mean a LOT.  To get the upper and lower housings apart takes something like 15 screws.  It's also heavy as lead but it does work and is easy to fix - so far.

I've got one that needs some repairs.  I should send it to you and have you do them since it sounds like you know what you are doing.  Were you having problems with some of the keys not working?

ETA:  the battery crapped out several years ago and I have been loath to replace it.

Edited by Foxterriermom
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Foxterriermom said:

I've got one that needs some repairs.  I should send it to you and have you do them since it sounds like you know what you are doing.  Were you having problems with some of the keys not working?

ETA:  the battery crapped out several years ago and I have been loath to replace it.

I had that problem with it before.  My son had pulled one of the keys off and after I replaced it the key never worked right.  And typing without an R key gets to be kind of annoying afte a few hous.  An entie keyboad for that thing cost me $15.  Was easy to eplace too.

Battery - I've had decent luck with the battery on this one so far.  But it's usually plugged in so I haven't really tested it.  When I have run it on battery it's done okay.

Edited by SC Tiger