Looking at a new carry Revolver.

DrB

On 2/1/2019 at 7:43 PM, DrB said:

Nothing wrong with it. It has my life's history in it.   Lots of memories from when I bought it new in box at an auction for $80.00 when I was 21. A place called the Log Cabin Shop had an auction and we drove there.  Was mostly a black powder rifle shop.  They had a few others though.  I won the auction for $76.00 if I remember correct.  The auctioneer said the minimum was $80.00 on the ticket to let it go.  I was pissed and almost let it go but my girlfriend at the time stomped me hard on the foot,look at me with that stern devil woman look and said " You Idiot... accept it"  I did but was still pissed I to pay the extra money when I won the bid.  It was the first firearm I bought as an adult.

Carried it through the years around friends.  One man, we grew up as boys and into adults around guns. He went to Vietnam. Navy, PBR's .  Later in life we and some of us would meet at my mom's house that was half way between us to drink and play cards.  The only rule my mom had was all firearms had to be put on top of the refrigerator as we entered.  There was usually a pile up there. 

He passed away last year.  I am 67, that revolver has been with me since the early 70's.  Too many memories to have to let it get taken go to evidence if that would ever happen.  Going to become a range revolver that I can shoot and remember where I have been through the years when I get it out.

You asked. Sorry if I rambled on here. Dave...

We did ask, and I rather enjoyed the tale.  Thanks.

• Like 4

Well, it's sitting in the gun shop waiting for me to pick up when I can get there.  Transfer fee is $25.00 which is the normal low here.  Place is a fishing supply/small gun shop.  I am up by Lake Erie so fishing big on the lake.  In winter store has less hours open.  Saturday I hope I can make it there.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DrB said:

Well, it's sitting in the gun shop waiting for me to pick up when I can get there.  Transfer fee is $25.00 which is the normal low here.  Place is a fishing supply/small gun shop.  I am up by Lake Erie so fishing big on the lake.  In winter store has less hours open.  Saturday I hope I can make it there.

Hope it serves you as well as your old Colt did.

• DrB changed the title to Looking at a new carry Revolver.

$25.00 transfer fee. Filled out the form.  In Ohio (still free) if you have a current CCL with the background NICS check when renewed then they don't have to call it in.  Most places still won't accept but when I mentioned it there I was good to go with my CCL.  Less than 10 mins. and I was done...

They have my business for transfers..

Dave..

1 hour ago, Borg warner said:

Range Report! Range Report! Range Report!

Hold on folks....  Weather here has been terrible and I have been busy with work/life.

Ok.. a little from what I have noticed playing with them a little..

Weight: Calibrated my scale with a quarter 0.2 oz. as it should be.

My DS weighs in at 22.67 oz. as in the pictures. The new Cobra is 26.68 oz. as shown

My feeler gauges only go down to .012 and both cylinder gaps are closer than I can measure.

Side to side cylinder play is a little bit more in the Cobra but not bad.  I checked an unfired Smith 19-5 I have and it has the same side to side play. Go figure...

Front to back cylinder play in the DS is nill.  The Cobra has a little.

With the DS, double action trigger pull is easier to stage if you want to.  The Cobra I like the the double action trigger pull better. It is lighter and less creep to me.

Single action, the DS has a smooth break.  The Cobra has a hint of a little grit at first pull but not so much to bother.  This should smooth out.  I'm going to have to get a trigger pull gauge as for the weight they are both close.  I actually think the Cobra is less but can't be sure there.

They both point the same for me when I pick them up, even with the different grips. 

Just my initial impressions, subject to change as I get a chance to shoot them side by side.

Dave.