Looking at a new carry Revolver.

DrB

Want to retire my Detective Special I bought in the early 70's. I probably will be sticking with Colt and looking at the Cobra.  I've carried Colt's all my life from various 1911's and Mustangs.  I know there are better cheaper options but damn.... I've carried Colts all my life and it's hard to change....  Perhaps I will.

Dave..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes I agree...  I'm an old Colt guy though.  Somehow I like the 6 round option.and the exposed hammer as I've always had that.  I will look at the options this year.  Hard to change for me but I want to retire my old Detective Special.

Dave..

• Thanks 1

I'm partial to S&W, because the first gun I learned to shoot well was a 681 and, while not often carried anymore, I do like my 340PD

WP_20160420_001.thumb.jpg.39be3609e73bf819476bc2b536107e0d.jpg

Having said that, I have branched out into another make:

IMG_20180313_093656866.thumb.jpg.8d1030f95d07c3dc7e59c7844300cf26.jpg

Kimber K6s.  6 shots, 2" or 3" options.  The originals are DAO, but they're now releasing DA/SA models.

But, be it Colt, S&W, Kimber, or something else, it's hard to beat the feel and performance of a good wheel gun.

• Like 3

Yea, the new Kimber DASA should be really nice. In 2" DAO form, it's nearly identical to the Smith 640 Pro for weight, size etc. Even the six shot cylinder is only something like 0.10 inches wider than the 5 shot J-frames.

The new Colt really didn't do it for me. I was looking forward to it's release but I have been looking elsewhere after handling a half a dozen or so. I haven't held one recently so maybe they are a little better now? DrB, good luck in your hunt. :cheers:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Maccabeus said:

I'm partial to S&W, because the first gun I learned to shoot well was a 681 and, while not often carried anymore, I do like my 340PD

WP_20160420_001.thumb.jpg.39be3609e73bf819476bc2b536107e0d.jpg

Having said that, I have branched out into another make:

IMG_20180313_093656866.thumb.jpg.8d1030f95d07c3dc7e59c7844300cf26.jpg

Kimber K6s.  6 shots, 2" or 3" options.  The originals are DAO, but they're now releasing DA/SA models.

But, be it Colt, S&W, Kimber, or something else, it's hard to beat the feel and performance of a good wheel gun.

How do you like the Kimber. I have heard some good things about them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Citra47 said:

How do you like the Kimber. I have heard some good things about them.

I like it quite a bit!

Nice compact size for a 6 shot.  It has some weight, like a steel gun should, but not too much or too little.

Trigger pull is nice.  (But I may not be the best judge since most triggers feel just fine to me).

Overall, it's a quality revolver, IMO.

Recommended.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DrB said:

Want to retire my Detective Special I bought in the early 70's. I probably will be sticking with Colt and looking at the Cobra.  I've carried Colt's all my life from various 1911's and Mustangs.  I know there are better cheaper options but damn.... I've carried Colts all my life and it's hard to change....  Perhaps I will.

Dave..

What's wrong with your detective special that you think you need to retire it? There is no comparing the cobra that is being currently made to the older guns. If you think your older gun is "Worn out", find another one like it that's in better condition.

I'd also recommend that you consider the 2" K6 Kimber. nice size, nice trigger, good shooter. If I were looking for a carry revolver the size of a Detective special or a cobra that would be my choice.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, DrB said:

Dave..

Why are you 'retiring' the Detective Special? 

• Like 1

I think carrying snub nose revolvers for CCW is like having a `67 Dodge Valiant as a daily driver.  Simple, but there are way more efficient and effective choices out there.  

Still, the guy still driving the Valiant is a character and likely KNOWS THINGS.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PNWguy said:

I think carrying snub nose revolvers for CCW is like having a `67 Dodge Valiant as a daily driver.  Simple, but there are way more efficient and effective choices out there.  

Still, the guy still driving the Valiant is a character and likely KNOWS THINGS.

Yeah, like he knows how to change a ballast resistor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/27/2019 at 2:14 PM, DrB said:

Want to retire my Detective Special I bought in the early 70's. . . . .

On 1/27/2019 at 8:58 PM, Borg warner said:

What's wrong with your detective special that you think you need to retire it? There is no comparing the cobra that is being currently made to the older guns. If you think your older gun is "Worn out", find another one like it that's in better condition. . . .

Borg asked my question.  Why retire it?  Are we past its expiration date?

For what its worth, if you decide to depart from Colt, I'll suggest the Ruger LCR/LCRX line.  I pocket carry an LCR sometimes, and it's really good for that.  The trigger is long, but smooth, and I like it a lot.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Spats McGee said:

Borg asked my question.  Why retire it?  Are we past its expiration date?

For what its worth, if you decide to depart from Colt, I'll suggest the Ruger LCR/LCRX line.  I pocket carry an LCR sometimes, and it's really good for that.  The trigger is long, but smooth, and I like it a lot.

I carry an old school airweight humpback with the shrouded hammer. with the skinny service grips and a Tyler T-grip adaptor. a couple of years ago a friend of mine bought an LCR and I was very impressed with it although I like my S&W better. especially for pocket carry with the minimal grips, The LCR is somewhat bulkier. and I also like the option of being able to cock the hammer though I rarely if ever do so.

However, it the OP is accustomed to carrying as gun as large as a detective special, he might as well replace it with a six shot and I think the best thing going today is the Kimber K6 with the 2 inch barrel and you can shoot it with either 38 special Plus+P's  (The FBI load) or 357's.

smiff-tyler-t-grip.jpg

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 6

On 1/27/2019 at 9:58 PM, Borg warner said:

What's wrong with your detective special that you think you need to retire it? There is no comparing the cobra that is being currently made to the older guns. If you think your older gun is "Worn out", find another one like it that's in better condition.

I'd also recommend that you consider the 2" K6 Kimber. nice size, nice trigger, good shooter. If I were looking for a carry revolver the size of a Detective special or a cobra that would be my choice.

Nothing wrong with it. It has my life's history in it.   Lots of memories from when I bought it new in box at an auction for $80.00 when I was 21. A place called the Log Cabin Shop had an auction and we drove there.  Was mostly a black powder rifle shop.  They had a few others though.  I won the auction for $76.00 if I remember correct.  The auctioneer said the minimum was $80.00 on the ticket to let it go.  I was pissed and almost let it go but my girlfriend at the time stomped me hard on the foot,look at me with that stern devil woman look and said " You Idiot... accept it"  I did but was still pissed I to pay the extra money when I won the bid.  It was the first firearm I bought as an adult.

Carried it through the years around friends.  One man, we grew up as boys and into adults around guns. He went to Vietnam. Navy, PBR's .  Later in life we and some of us would meet at my mom's house that was half way between us to drink and play cards.  The only rule my mom had was all firearms had to be put on top of the refrigerator as we entered.  There was usually a pile up there. 

He passed away last year.  I am 67, that revolver has been with me since the early 70's.  Too many memories to have to let it get taken go to evidence if that would ever happen.  Going to become a range revolver that I can shoot and remember where I have been through the years when I get it out.

You asked. Sorry if I rambled on here. Dave...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

After thinking and looking some.  It's going to be a Colt.  Just because I have carried Colt pretty much all my life.  Like my series 70 Combat Commander I bought around the same time in the 70's. Now is a Colt Defender.  Old habits/brands are hard to break.

Dave..

• Like 3

Well folks after all the looking and pondering brands/models and such, I have one on the way.  I wanted to buy from a local shop but none had the model I wanted.  Yes it's a Colt Cobra TT2FO-B.  Two Tone Stainless with Black Cylinder and G10 Grips. I wanted to buy local but all they had was the plain stainless model and could not guarantee me any date if I ordered what I wanted.

I looked at them all and this is what I decided what I wanted. I am a Colt fan boy I do admit so that steered me in that direction somewhat. The Kimbers were nice...

I will post up a picture when it arrives.

Dave...

Edited by DrB
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, DrB said:

Well folks after all the looking and pondering brands/models and such, I have one on the way.  I wanted to buy from a local shop but none had the model I wanted.  Yes it's a Colt Cobra TT2FO-B.  Two Tone Stainless with Black Cylinder and G10 Grips. I wanted to buy local but all they had was the plain stainless model and could not guarantee me any date if I ordered what I wanted.

I looked at them all and this is what I decided what I wanted. I am a Colt fan boy I do admit so that steered me in that direction somewhat. The Kimbers were nice...

I will post up a picture when it arrives.

Dave...

So if you're; only willing to buy locally you couldn't possible find an older model like the one you already have. I don't think you'll like it as much as your old one but a good gunsmith could greatly improve the trigger.

Hey, when you post pictures, pleas post pictures of your old one next to it.

Edited by Borg warner

37 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

So if you're; only willing to buy locally you couldn't possible find an older model like the one you already have. I don't think you'll like it as much as your old one but a good gunsmith could greatly improve the trigger.

Hey, when you post pictures, pleas post pictures of your old one next to it.

The older ones around here I see are junk along with high prices everyone thinks they're worth. I will post pictures my 70's DS along the Cobra when it arrives. 

Dave..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DrB said:

The older ones around here I see are junk along with high prices everyone thinks they're worth. I will post pictures my 70's DS along the Cobra when it arrives. 

Dave..

You could find a nice one gunbroker if you had patience but you still have the option of having the trigger slicked up. I know a gunsmith who is a magician when it comes to triggers. He made a Browning Hi-power trigger feel as good as a 1911.

I found a 6 1/2 inch new model Ruger Blackhawk with no warning label on the barrel on Gunbroker after about a week of searching and there were about 8 pages of Ruger Blackhawks and it was on the next to the last page. I was actually looking for a Bisley model but those werr really scarce so I settled for this one becas th econdition was so nice and the price was even nicer and the seller was a gun shop with a good rating.

I look forward to the pictures of your 70's DS and a range report with both guns.

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 1

• DrB changed the title to Looking at a new carry Revolver.