Do Scout Rifles count as "Tactical"?

jame

On 9/18/2017 at 5:37 PM, minervadoe said:

It's not exactly a scout rifle, but I was definitely thinking tactical when I bought a CZ527 in 7.62X39 and then put a 1 X 4 power scope on it.  At least the front sight is mounted where the scope would go on a scout rifle.

cz527.jpg  

That’s a sweet, very accurate shooting rifle right there. I have one just like it. For those that say the 7.62x39 is an inaccurate cartridge this rifle will prove them wrong.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KBKEITH said:

That’s a sweet, very accurate shooting rifle right there. I have one just like it. For those that say the 7.62x39 is an inaccurate cartridge this rifle will prove them wrong.

The CZ is a very nicely sized carbine.  As part of my campaign to make the world a better place by having a couple of bolt action rifles chambered in commonly available military cartridges, I bought the CZ and a Savage Axis chambered in .223 about a week apart.  The first time I took the CZ to the range, I put 100 rounds through it without flinching.  It wasn't until the next day when my shoulder felt like it had rigor mortis that it struck me how similar to 30-30 it was.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, minervadoe said:

The CZ is a very nicely sized carbine.  As part of my campaign to make the world a better place by having a couple of bolt action rifles chambered in commonly available military cartridges, I bought the CZ and a Savage Axis chambered in .223 about a week apart.  The first time I took the CZ to the range, I put 100 rounds through it without flinching.  It wasn't until the next day when my shoulder felt like it had rigor mortis that it struck me how similar to 30-30 it was.  

Yes, very much like a .30-.30. I have a second 527 chambered in .223/5.56. That is also an extremely accurate rifle. I really like the light weight and overall handiness of these rifles. The mini-Mauser actions work great too. Just a joy to shoot.

Now, I'm wondering if you have reloaded for the CZ 527?  CZ says, "Built to CIP specifications, our 7.62×39 chambers are ideal for shooting steel-cased surplus ammo. Designed to shoot .311 bullets, some American brass ammo may not perform as well as the imported steel-cased variety because of SAAMI brass dimensions and varying bullet diameters."  So, naturally, I shot a bunch of steel case ammo through it and found it to be very accurate.  Then, me being me, naturally, I bought some brass cases and reloaded them with the only powder I could find for 7.62X39 (3031).  It turns out that the point of aim changed significantly, but the group tightened up.  Now, I'm wondering if neck sizing the brass once its been fire formed to the chamber will have an effect.

Any experience with that?

I'd be perfectly happy to shoot steel case ammo, but I'm always curious enough about stuff to want to poke it with a stick.  

Edited by minervadoe

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2017 at 5:43 PM, minervadoe said:

Now, I'm wondering if you have reloaded for the CZ 527?  CZ says, "Built to CIP specifications, our 7.62×39 chambers are ideal for shooting steel-cased surplus ammo. Designed to shoot .311 bullets, some American brass ammo may not perform as well as the imported steel-cased variety because of SAAMI brass dimensions and varying bullet diameters."  So, naturally, I shot a bunch of steel case ammo through it and found it to be very accurate.  Then, me being me, naturally, I bought some brass cases and reloaded them with the only powder I could find for 7.62X39 (3031).  It turns out that the point of aim changed significantly, but the group tightened up.  Now, I'm wondering if neck sizing the brass once its been fire formed to the chamber will have an effect.

Any experience with that?

I'd be perfectly happy to shoot steel case ammo, but I'm always curious enough about stuff to want to poke it with a stick.  

I have not reloaded any 7.62x39 and quite honestly I never will. Only cheap Russian steel cased stuff for me. 

That being said, I can appreciate your desire to reload it and run it through your 527. 

8 hours ago, KBKEITH said:

I have not reloaded any 7.62x39 and quite honestly I never will. Only cheap Russian steel cased stuff for me. 

That being said, I can appreciate your desire to reload it and run it through your 527. 

It is an expensive experiment. The TulAmmo  steel cased stuff works amazingly well in this gun.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, minervadoe said:

It is an expensive experiment. The TulAmmo  steel cased stuff works amazingly well in this gun.

I’m a big fan of TulAmmo in 7.62x39 and also 54R. It’s actually pretty darned accurate out of my rifles in those calibers. 

• Like 2

• 8 months later...