Cold Warriors

Eric

I always loved the look of the B-58, weapon and fuel carried in an external pod for the run in and after dropping the pod run home at Mach on internal fuel.  Each crew member had their own escape capsule because a regular ejection seat just wouldn't work.  There is one just rotting away in the desert south of Rogers Dry lake on Edwards AFB.

Snoopy.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

• Administrators
3 hours ago, furetto7 said:

I always loved the look of the B-58, weapon and fuel carried in an external pod for the run in and after dropping the pod run home at Mach on internal fuel.  Each crew member had their own escape capsule because a regular ejection seat just wouldn't work.  There is one just rotting away in the desert south of Rogers Dry lake on Edwards AFB.

Snoopy.jpg

It makes me sad to see that. The old girl deserves better than that. She was a world-changer, in her day.

IMG_0172.thumb.JPG.bebebdeda2e7ee0da680fdc19b6b70cd.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

How about Soldier of Fortune magazine?

No one even thinks about the little brush wars during the Cold War era. 

I knew a couple guys who fought in them. Strictly against US police but strangely US dollars always seemed to show up to buy untraceable non-US gear. They said it was a humanitarian aid organization they nicknamed Christians In Action. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
On 9/9/2017 at 12:50 AM, Eric said:

Here we have the US Los Angeles Class attack submarine. Submarines was another area where we had the Sovs completely outclassed.

5uHEeEs.thumb.jpg.04f8ee5fb5d70efa23636dcee3542ae6.jpg

US_Navy_110906-N-DI599-006_The_Los_Angeles-class_attack_submarine_USS_Albuquerque_(SSN_706)_is_moored_at_Fleet_Activities_Yokosuka.thumb.jpg.61210071c9fce2553c132f2d10038a02.jpg

The Alfa and Akula II subs could dive deeper I think, but I think the LA class were more stealthy.  Probably had better sonar too.

On 9/9/2017 at 5:10 AM, TBO said:

Soviet RPG

maxresdefault.jpg

RPG5.gif

My dad referrs to that as a "Piss Bringer".

On 9/10/2017 at 12:59 AM, willie-pete said:

So does this one, :supergrin:

davycrockett.jpg.b530c09b11a1493c1fc0fd05845aaa89.jpg

Range - 2 miles

Blast radius of warhead - 3 miles

Hey - wait a damn minute...........

1 hour ago, Eric said:

How about a Victor Bomber. The fighter in the third pic is an English Electric Lightning.

vulcan.thumb.jpg.71fe88fc80061edfa9db5e2fcb06077a.jpg

vulcan2.thumb.jpg.c6a69b570eef50fb3c28317133cb339e.jpg

vulcan3.jpg.3467d6c42242c045ae8f3e0b4eb774e5.jpg

The Brits sure did come up with some wild looking planes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, SC Tiger said:

The Alfa and Akula II subs could dive deeper I think, but I think the LA class were more stealthy.  Probably had better sonar too.

My dad referrs to that as a "Piss Bringer".

Range - 2 miles

Blast radius of warhead - 3 miles

Hey - wait a damn minute...........

The Brits sure did come up with some wild looking planes.

The Sovs were setting on I believe the largest Titanium deposit in the world. They could afford to use the stuff for submarine hulls.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Eric said:

The Sovs were setting on I believe the largest Titanium deposit in the world. They could afford to use the stuff for submarine hulls.

Funny part is I think US subs were made of Russian titanium - at least partially.  The stuff was bought through dummy corporations, stuff like that.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/8/2017 at 11:09 PM, Eric said:

One of my favorite light bomber/attack aircraft of all time is the FB-111. I love this bird. The low-level terrain-following RADAR and autopilot system was said to be a truly terrifying ride and an incredible capability for a penetration bomber like the 111.

F-111_Red_Flag_09.thumb.jpg.71a20ce71aecb65bed9752c47744e1d4.jpg

image001.thumb.jpg.cd5a319d055278b0e2a1a3f4ac291931.jpg

I knew some guys that drove those out of Canon AFB.  They said it was fun, when most of the stuff worked, and they could actually get birds in the air.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What is amazing is the sheer number of plane designs that we had during the Cold War:

F-111

A-4

The "Century Series" planes

B29-B36-B47-B52, Plus the B58 and B1

Seems like a design would be out there for a few years and bang, it was replaced.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, SC Tiger said:

What is amazing is the sheer number of plane designs that we had during the Cold War:

F-111

A-4

Seems like a design would be out there for a few years and bang, it was replaced.

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex.

Dwight David Eisenhower

• Thanks 1

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, SC Tiger said:

F-111

A-4

Don't forget the Valkyrie. We may have cancelled the program, but that bird was amazing.

XB-70-4-156.thumb.jpg.126ff60af066a17f89f7d50c96d65298.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/8/2017 at 10:18 PM, Eric said:

Yes. I'm not sure if that is an official or unofficial designation, but that it always how I heard it referred to.

Aardvark was the official, Air Force name.

There was also an electronic warfare variant named Raven

Most folk don't know, (or remember) that there was a naval variant as well;' it had a hook!  :woohoo:

Another DoD attempt at, Same aircraft for all of the services; one airplane to rule them all.

The F-14 Tomcat shared many parts and design from the F11B, including a pilot and a GIB (well, guy to side) and the then awesome Pratt and Whitney TF-30s.  The Tomcat may be regarded as a smaller, lighter Aardvark.

The F-111 was not configured to fire the AIM-54 missile, but is still an awesome aircraft.

We didn't make it, but if McDonnell Douglas doesn't make it, Grumman is the next best thing.  :biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/9/2017 at 12:20 AM, Eric said:

And the F-15 Eagle. This is my favorite Cold War-era military aircraft, my favorite fighter aircraft ever and I believe it is the best looking aircraft ever built, of any type. I love this bird. I was just starting Air Force Junior ROTC in high school, a few years after the F-15s were making it into general use in the Air Force. We learned all about this fighter and I fell in love. I remember watching the news when they reported on the first satellite ever shot down by a fighter aircraft. That was a hell of a fete for back then.

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.d32f8ebaaf2db51d31aad43ffcbc0e5d.jpg

f15_hero_new_1280x720.thumb.jpg.caaebbd5ebe09f7f521d32dcd7674a96.jpg

My favorite as well. I was privileged to spend my entire USAF career on one aircraft - the F-15.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Taipei Personality said:

My favorite as well. I was privileged to spend my entire USAF career on one aircraft - the F-15.

I saw the Streak Eagle at WPAFB after it broke all the records when I was stationed there.

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/Museum-Exhibits/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/197972/mcdonnell-douglas-f-15-streak-eagle/

streakeagle.JPG.5b52b05b504a1682d8a1c4299eb5b71a.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1