1965 factory new SKS

Nestor

Built by the Chinese when the 1st Cavalry Division fought in La Drang. Luckily to the good guys it was never used against them. Instead it was exported to the USA in the early 90's and from there to Canada. Never left the safe since then. Still in the same cardboard box with the Styrofoam insert and all the accessories. Cleaning kit in the butt stock. Standard SKS rifle, unfortunately the magazine was pinned down to 5 rounds capacity in accordance with the local law. Otherwise nice find. Cleaning ahead. I may just wipe off the lacquer and finish the stock with the tung oil to bring the natural beauty of the wood. Always loved these communist machines. As opposed to the communism itself. Some pictures are with the flashlight, so the color of the wood may be slightly different between the different photos. It's however light, golden with the red tint.

D9UmNSo.jpg

p0gG0Zq.jpg

6KKnk7D.jpg

wB4VCLn.jpg

qZbGgu4.jpg

0jzB9kC.jpg

BkBAnfj.jpg

qPkUiQ5.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Nestor said:

Built by the Chinese when the 1st Cavalry Division fought in La Drang. Luckily to the good guys it was never used against them. Instead it was exported to the USA in the early 90's and from there to Canada. Never left the safe since then. Still in the same cardboard box with the Styrofoam insert and all the accessories. Cleaning kit in the butt stock. Standard SKS rifle, unfortunately the magazine was pinned down to 5 rounds capacity in accordance with the local law. Otherwise nice find. Cleaning ahead. I may just wipe off the lacquer and finish the stock with the tung oil to bring the natural beauty of the wood. Always loved these communist machines. As opposed to the communism itself. Some pictures are with the flashlight, so the color of the wood may be slightly different between the different photos. It's however light, golden with the red tint.

D9UmNSo.jpg

p0gG0Zq.jpg

6KKnk7D.jpg

wB4VCLn.jpg

qZbGgu4.jpg

0jzB9kC.jpg

BkBAnfj.jpg

qPkUiQ5.jpg

Great find - nice Chinese SKS.  Remember when they were well under $100.00 each. Those were the days. 

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Collim1 said:

That’s a nice SKS. I love the spike bayonet. 

I used to have the Russian one. I'm finding the spike bayonet less obstructive while handling the rifle as it disappears into the stock in contrary to the blade one that sticks out.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I bought two Norinco SKS in '93 for $100 each and a couple cases of '66 marked Chinese ball, steel case and steel core. Still have both of them and an unopened case of 1100 rounds of the commie stuff. After sitting in my safe for years I finally broke out one of them to do some stock work...long story but I made the mistake of adding a synthetic stock and misplacing or accidentally threw away (probably the latter) the original stock. So this effort was to get a serviceable replacement wood stock back on it. 

Almost done with the project and hope to have it to the range some time this summer with its "new" Chinese hardwood stock. Everyone will do their own thing but in hindsight I recommend never getting rid of the original wood stock. But back then they were cheap and plentiful and no one saw the day they would be banned from import and the price would zoom. Awesome battle weapons.

• Like 2

Most things  Norinco are like that.  I started off with an SKS, that I made synthetic with extended magazine.  I eventually moved onto an AK-47 that I sold.  Both are long gone.  But, I have an Arsenal AK-47 with a folding stock and I am happier with that.  It does the same job.

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 9:32 PM, Nestor said:

D9UmNSo.jpg

p0gG0Zq.jpg

6KKnk7D.jpg

wB4VCLn.jpg

qZbGgu4.jpg

0jzB9kC.jpg

BkBAnfj.jpg

qPkUiQ5.jpg

I remember when these were 99.00 a pop covered in cosmoline.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice Nestor.

I need to drag my SKS out and take a few photos.  I also bought mine in the 1990's.  Probably have shot less then 200 rounds through it. 

I read that they make great guns to hunt wild pigs.  The 7.62x39mm does a job on the porkers I guess.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...