Ordered a Summer Special G19 FS

PNWguy

Was torn between a G34 or a G19 for GSSF indoor matches.  Got my Blue Label certificate from Glock and price for the G34 was $507 and no dealers near me so would have had to go online and order it and pay shipping and FFL transfer fees.

Found one of the last remaining Gen 4 G19s with the front serrations, steel sights, and extended slide release on sale for $466 shipped to my FFL.  Ordered it.

Hopefully I'll have it by my next match on the 22nd of this month.  But, my experience with ordering firearms around here means I could get it in a week, or a month...

Really looking forward to shooting it; I fondled a Gen 5 G19 the other day and that grip cutout made it a no-go.  Plus, I think these are somewhat of a unicorn Glock, which is appealing.

719018294.jpg

• Like 4

That G19 should serve you well for the Indoor League shooting. 

The range I belong to ran them for several years and it was always lots of fun. There are several courses of fire and as things progressed the range chose some where strong hand/weak hand shooting was required. Really took people by surprise.

Dave

I know that the top shooters in my matches use the G34, but I have beat them on occasion with just my G29.  I figured if I got the G19, I would at least let them still have an edge and not discourage them too bad, plus, I could have a more versatile pistol rather than one only suitable for matches and plinking.  ^_^

• Like 1

Range session was a success.  It's not quite as accurate as my G29 in stock configuration, but it's close and pretty damn good for a compact defensive pistol shooting cheap ammo...

2 1/8" 5-shot group at verified 25yds using shooting sticks as a rest.  Ammo was Remington UMC 124gr (mislabeled as 147gr on the target...):

IMG_20170915_151114887_HDR.thumb.jpg.e371ed72295fad1da959bb56b208416c.jpg

• Like 2

Installed the Storm Lake barrel and accuracy actually got worse.  I sent an email to Storm Lake asking for their suggestions as to best bullet weight to use and any other input they might have.  I was fondling it and my G29 side by side and really noticed how much worse the trigger is in this pistol.  It's got a weird audible click when first pulling the trigger.  Safety lever isn't catching on the frame cutout or anything.  Detail stripped it and did the polishing job and that helped noticeably after the "click", but the annoying click is still there.  Will have the Glock armorer at my GSSF match next week take a look at it.

• 9 months later...

I never could understand why people need front serrations for a "press check".  From Gen3 on there's a visual and tactile round in chamber indicator.  Plus, don't you KNOW when your pistol is loaded?   Also, I've always believed that slipping the action open just a little on a "hot" pistol increases the chances for a malfunction.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 7/1/2018 at 4:37 PM, Pointblank said:

I never could understand why people need front serrations for a "press check".  From Gen3 on there's a visual and tactile round in chamber indicator.  Plus, don't you KNOW when your pistol is loaded?   Also, I've always believed that slipping the action open just a little on a "hot" pistol increases the chances for a malfunction.

They aren't just for a press check (I don't do press checks).  On a couple firearms I got used to grabbing forward on the slide due to the red dot on the back.  Not everyone does things the exact same way as everyone else, so it's nice to have options.  My hands are a little messed up so I don't like to do the slingshot method as much, especially after shooting for a while.

On 9/8/2017 at 5:16 PM, JJHNSN said:

Nice Gat Glock...I wish Glock had put front serrations on the Gen 5, kind of puzzling that they did not, frankly. That's my only criticism of the Gen 5s.

Son has Gen 5 _17, I just got a Gen4 -19 and Gen4 -17 and I prefer the finger serrations of the Gen4..Congratulations to the OP tho..great guns, love mine. 

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 10:00 AM, Cougar_ml said:

They aren't just for a press check (I don't do press checks).  On a couple firearms I got used to grabbing forward on the slide due to the red dot on the back.  Not everyone does things the exact same way as everyone else, so it's nice to have options.  My hands are a little messed up so I don't like to do the slingshot method as much, especially after shooting for a while.

I only did them on quals when I had to.  If you don't know you are out of ammo, well, that is on the shooter.

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 10:42 PM, PNWguy said:

Installed the Storm Lake barrel and accuracy actually got worse.  I sent an email to Storm Lake asking for their suggestions as to best bullet weight to use and any other input they might have.  I was fondling it and my G29 side by side and really noticed how much worse the trigger is in this pistol.  It's got a weird audible click when first pulling the trigger.  Safety lever isn't catching on the frame cutout or anything.  Detail stripped it and did the polishing job and that helped noticeably after the "click", but the annoying click is still there.  Will have the Glock armorer at my GSSF match next week take a look at it.

Good luck with Storm lake. I've heard that their customer service and quality control has gone downhill since they've been bought out by Cerebus Capital Management that owns Remington and Marlin. Let us know what Storm lake's recommendation are and what their customer service is like to deal with. Next time you might want to go with KKM. they have excellent customer service and support and make very good barrels.

Also are you aware that the Gen 5 G19 MOS has the front serrations and no mag cut-out? Even if you never the MOS option you still get a Gen 5 gun with no finger grooves and no mag cut-out and the MOS option increases the resale value of the gun. The Gen 5 barrels are also supposed to be more accurate. I wouldn't mind having one but I don't like forward slide serrations but I love the fact that the Gen 5's have no finger grooves,

Edited by Borg warner

• 5 weeks later...

I have the Storm Lake barrel sitting on my kitchen table, ready to be shipped out to a gunsmith on another forum who offered to take a look at it for free.  He was going to start with re-crowning it.  Said a bad crown will cause all sorts of issues.

Figured I'd have nothing to lose since it's basically a paper weight at this point since Storm Lake showed no interest in making things right.  At least Lone Wolf agreed to take a look at it, and when I got it back, it was very accurate.