Jump to content
PNWguy

Ordered a Summer Special G19 FS

Recommended Posts

Was torn between a G34 or a G19 for GSSF indoor matches.  Got my Blue Label certificate from Glock and price for the G34 was $507 and no dealers near me so would have had to go online and order it and pay shipping and FFL transfer fees.

Found one of the last remaining Gen 4 G19s with the front serrations, steel sights, and extended slide release on sale for $466 shipped to my FFL.  Ordered it.

Hopefully I'll have it by my next match on the 22nd of this month.  But, my experience with ordering firearms around here means I could get it in a week, or a month...

Really looking forward to shooting it; I fondled a Gen 5 G19 the other day and that grip cutout made it a no-go.  Plus, I think these are somewhat of a unicorn Glock, which is appealing.

 

719018294.jpg

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice Gat Glock...I wish Glock had put front serrations on the Gen 5, kind of puzzling that they did not, frankly. That's my only criticism of the Gen 5s.

Edited by JJHNSN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup..a real head scratcher that one. Kind of makes it even more clear that the two models in the Gen 5 line are definitely the FBI "M" series for civilians.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That G19 should serve you well for the Indoor League shooting. 

The range I belong to ran them for several years and it was always lots of fun. There are several courses of fire and as things progressed the range chose some where strong hand/weak hand shooting was required. Really took people by surprise.

Dave

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know that the top shooters in my matches use the G34, but I have beat them on occasion with just my G29.  I figured if I got the G19, I would at least let them still have an edge and not discourage them too bad, plus, I could have a more versatile pistol rather than one only suitable for matches and plinking.  ^_^

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New pistol has arrived.  Took less than a week and arrived in perfect condition.  Bought a few varieties of 9mm to try out in it tomorrow.  Fits my hand like a glove and the fit/finish on it is perfect...

 

IMG_20170914_164127667.thumb.jpg.2e9bf1f9789468573fa53ad7a76bec7d.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats on your new pistol! Shoot it in good health. I don't really care for the front serrations, but Ive never progressed past the Gen 3 anyways. Happy Shooting! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice snag, hard to beat a G19.

 

When you posted summer special, my first thought was the iwb holster from milt sparks. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Range session was a success.  It's not quite as accurate as my G29 in stock configuration, but it's close and pretty damn good for a compact defensive pistol shooting cheap ammo...

 

2 1/8" 5-shot group at verified 25yds using shooting sticks as a rest.  Ammo was Remington UMC 124gr (mislabeled as 147gr on the target...):

 

IMG_20170915_151114887_HDR.thumb.jpg.e371ed72295fad1da959bb56b208416c.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Installed the Storm Lake barrel and accuracy actually got worse.  I sent an email to Storm Lake asking for their suggestions as to best bullet weight to use and any other input they might have.  I was fondling it and my G29 side by side and really noticed how much worse the trigger is in this pistol.  It's got a weird audible click when first pulling the trigger.  Safety lever isn't catching on the frame cutout or anything.  Detail stripped it and did the polishing job and that helped noticeably after the "click", but the annoying click is still there.  Will have the Glock armorer at my GSSF match next week take a look at it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never could understand why people need front serrations for a "press check".  From Gen3 on there's a visual and tactile round in chamber indicator.  Plus, don't you KNOW when your pistol is loaded?   Also, I've always believed that slipping the action open just a little on a "hot" pistol increases the chances for a malfunction.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2018 at 4:37 PM, Pointblank said:

I never could understand why people need front serrations for a "press check".  From Gen3 on there's a visual and tactile round in chamber indicator.  Plus, don't you KNOW when your pistol is loaded?   Also, I've always believed that slipping the action open just a little on a "hot" pistol increases the chances for a malfunction.

They aren't just for a press check (I don't do press checks).  On a couple firearms I got used to grabbing forward on the slide due to the red dot on the back.  Not everyone does things the exact same way as everyone else, so it's nice to have options.  My hands are a little messed up so I don't like to do the slingshot method as much, especially after shooting for a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/8/2017 at 5:16 PM, JJHNSN said:

Nice Gat Glock...I wish Glock had put front serrations on the Gen 5, kind of puzzling that they did not, frankly. That's my only criticism of the Gen 5s.

Son has Gen 5 _17, I just got a Gen4 -19 and Gen4 -17 and I prefer the finger serrations of the Gen4..Congratulations to the OP tho..great guns, love mine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 10:00 AM, Cougar_ml said:

They aren't just for a press check (I don't do press checks).  On a couple firearms I got used to grabbing forward on the slide due to the red dot on the back.  Not everyone does things the exact same way as everyone else, so it's nice to have options.  My hands are a little messed up so I don't like to do the slingshot method as much, especially after shooting for a while.

I only did them on quals when I had to.  If you don't know you are out of ammo, well, that is on the shooter.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 10:42 PM, PNWguy said:

Installed the Storm Lake barrel and accuracy actually got worse.  I sent an email to Storm Lake asking for their suggestions as to best bullet weight to use and any other input they might have.  I was fondling it and my G29 side by side and really noticed how much worse the trigger is in this pistol.  It's got a weird audible click when first pulling the trigger.  Safety lever isn't catching on the frame cutout or anything.  Detail stripped it and did the polishing job and that helped noticeably after the "click", but the annoying click is still there.  Will have the Glock armorer at my GSSF match next week take a look at it.

Good luck with Storm lake. I've heard that their customer service and quality control has gone downhill since they've been bought out by Cerebus Capital Management that owns Remington and Marlin. Let us know what Storm lake's recommendation are and what their customer service is like to deal with. Next time you might want to go with KKM. they have excellent customer service and support and make very good barrels.

Also are you aware that the Gen 5 G19 MOS has the front serrations and no mag cut-out? Even if you never the MOS option you still get a Gen 5 gun with no finger grooves and no mag cut-out and the MOS option increases the resale value of the gun. The Gen 5 barrels are also supposed to be more accurate. I wouldn't mind having one but I don't like forward slide serrations but I love the fact that the Gen 5's have no finger grooves,

Edited by Borg warner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This post is from 2017 bro. None of that schtuff was out yet.  :)  Pretty sure he sold or traded the FS away.

 

Sorry to hear that Storm Lake got bought out. :( They were a great company at one point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the look and feel of the G19 Gen4 SS. The forward serrations, night sights, and grip are all great IMHO. I believe it will be my next G, but I still haven't checked out the G45 yet. I have heard good things on both platforms. I will keep shooting my G17 Gen3 in competition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the Storm Lake barrel sitting on my kitchen table, ready to be shipped out to a gunsmith on another forum who offered to take a look at it for free.  He was going to start with re-crowning it.  Said a bad crown will cause all sorts of issues.

Figured I'd have nothing to lose since it's basically a paper weight at this point since Storm Lake showed no interest in making things right.  At least Lone Wolf agreed to take a look at it, and when I got it back, it was very accurate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...