And this is why you don't buy cheap tools made in China

crockett

53 minutes ago, Jammersix said:

Nothing, other than you're simply wrong. We went through the quality fallacy five pages ago.

Right.  You say I'm wrong, so that's the end of the discussion I'm simply wrong.  OK.  ?

You may have decided it's a fallacy, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with you.

9 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

Peasants?  Dude - don't you own an airplane or something? :anim_lol:

Used to.  Sold it.  After forking out $22K to rebuild the engine and then about $3K on the subsequent annual inspection not long after, hangar rent, the money to get instrument rating... I decided that I had endured enough monetary punishment at the hands of aviation.

Now I just rent or fly my dad’s airplane which is practically free.  

Took part of the proceeds from the sale and bought a new Mustang, and recently put a blower on it.  700HP is no joke, more fun than flying, and much cheaper?

Edited by fiveoboy01

2 minutes ago, SC Tiger said:

Speaking of cheap vs expensive vs middle-of-the-road, I've discovered a brand of knives I really like.  Ontario Knife.

I carry a Rat II daily (in D2 steel) that I am very happy with.  It's not Benchmade but it's a good knife.

Yep.  Bought the RAT 5 for my hiking/fishing/hunting knife and paid about $50 for it, IIRC.  My son needed a good hiking knife, so I actually bought him the ESEE 3 for over $100.  But for me, Ontario works just fine.  I even bought a custom kydex sheath for it. 

tXZSQQkhQOqJndSvhGsllA.jpg.6c8b2a5e6dd614d91020724a8851f05e.jpg

GQbzp3SgS0Ksv3OCWAzq7A.jpg.8a6cd8c51740724c24215f74476ebf0a.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fiveoboy01 said:

Used to.  Sold it.  After forking out $22K to rebuild the engine and then about $3K on the subsequent annual inspection not long after, hangar rent, the money to get instrument rates... I decided that I had endured enough monetary punishment at the hands of aviation.

Now I just rent or fly my dad’s airplane which is practically free.  

Took part of the proceeds from the sale and bought a new Mustang, and recently put a blower on it.  700HP is no joke, more fun than flying, and much cheaper?

I dunno about more fun than flying.

But yeah, its expensive.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AK_Stick said:

I dunno about more fun than flying.

But yeah, its expensive.

You gotta figure in how often you can fly vs how often you can use the 700 hp on the Mustang.

15 hours ago, PNWguy said:

Yep.  Bought the RAT 5 for my hiking/fishing/hunting knife and paid about $50 for it, IIRC.  My son needed a good hiking knife, so I actually bought him the ESEE 3 for over $100.  But for me, Ontario works just fine.  I even bought a custom kydex sheath for it. 

tXZSQQkhQOqJndSvhGsllA.jpg.6c8b2a5e6dd614d91020724a8851f05e.jpg

GQbzp3SgS0Ksv3OCWAzq7A.jpg.8a6cd8c51740724c24215f74476ebf0a.jpg

Damn.  I like that.

I have a Benchmade but I carry the Rat II almost every day.  It's a better size for EDC plus if I lose or damage it, NBD.  Only cost $40.

• Like 1

Not me. But all the rich (they say "comfortable") people I know worked their way there in the trades, and they have completely different attitudes than he does.

Money is just part of the game. It's the easy part, and should be the first part. It's what you do after you have enough that matters.

Edited by Jammersix

On 1/24/2019 at 2:25 AM, Jammersix said:

Not me. But all the rich (they say "comfortable") people I know worked their way there in the trades, and they have completely different attitudes than he does.

Money is just part of the game. It's the easy part, and should be the first part. It's what you do after you have enough that matters.

There is no ‘enough’.

There was for me. There was enough to get out of business, leave that nightmare behind, and get on with life.

We chose a number. The house and this much. When we chose it, we never thought we'd get there. The closer we got, the easier it became and the more I hated it.

2 hours ago, Jammersix said:

Apple prefers to manufacture in China because American manufacturing can't meet their needs:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/28/technology/iphones-apple-china-made.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

It's no secret that if Apple moves any final assembly operations to the US, that suppliers will have to be developed.  Toyota for instance has a rule that if you supply them with components, you must have a facility within 50 miles of their assembly plant.  That sounds partially like a failure on Apple's part - though it is hard to think of EVERYTHING.  Fasteners often get overlooked.

It's no different than the companies that make the boards, the keyboard, the screen, etc.  Gotta have the supply chain nailed down.  

I don't know if that means a manufacturing facility or a distribution facility, and if there are different rules for different component makers (ie seats vs fasteners).  Most likely makers of things that are going to be more tailored to the individual car have to have a manufacturing facility.  A fastener supplier probably just needs a distribution facility with a lot of stock on hand.

Edited by SC Tiger

14 hours ago, Jammersix said:

Apple prefers to manufacture in China because American manufacturing can't meet their needs:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/28/technology/iphones-apple-china-made.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

That is a load of crap.  It is apple's fault because they picked the wrong supplier.  1k/day from 20 people is pathetic, screw machines can crank out screws like crazy.  I bet the vendors in the US that can do it did not want to deal with Apple because they are assholes.  They require their suppliers to guarantee a certain level of production with fines if they fail.  That would be okay but they don't hold up their orders and leave the suppliers with a bunch of product.  They have done it numerous times.

That said in my experience Chinese companies want business and many American companies seem to think they are doing you a favor. I remember when we quoted some injection molding the US companies wanted drawings, with pantone colors and detailed specs and money for a model.  We just sent a few to China and they sent some back in multiple shades with a quote that was less than half.

I find that 4 1/2 inch disk grinders are very handy tools for me.  There are a number of different discs for them and each does a particular job well.

I have about 5 in my shop ready to go with unique purposes for each.  One disk grinder with a 1/16" Zirconia cutoff blade on it for steel.  I have another with a cheap flap disc on it for wood shaping.  I have another with a diamond disc on it for steel and concrete cutting and shaping.  I have another  HF brand with an edge-use wire wheel on it.   Wood shaping is low load for me.

I have one that is an expensive grinder, with much more torque than the others.  It is used with Zirconium flap discs for steel finishing after welding, and for shaping steel/Aluminum, etc.  The flap discs have more loading than the others I use, and therefore more loading means a necessity for higher torque motors.  

The high torque disc grinder is a major brand and all the others are HF brands, prices for them vary with sales from $10 and up to $15.  In addition, I keep a spare HF disc grinder on the shelf still boxed up for replacement when needed.  In 15 years of metal (automobile and ornamental steel) and wood work, I have toasted one $10 HF grinder.

If the expensive one were my only one, it would see many times the use to replace the others.  This way the tool fits the job and cost is minimized overall.  

Edited by janice6
  • Like 1