Fly fishing

SilverRidge01

Anyone here a fly fisher person, trout, bass, panfish ? I'm into bamboo fly rods, got 30 plus rods both graphite and cane, many years of accumulating rods, reels, flies etc, prefer 

light and ultralight tackle .... Been fly rodding 40 years plus from Maine to Florida to the Pacific Northwest ...

Haven’t in many years, but I grew up fly fishing a local river. 

Not much beats seeing a bass break the surface on a cork popper. And bringing in a pissed off 2lb bass on fly tackle and 4lb line is an achievement.  I could also catch a hundred bream in a day with a foam spider plug.  

Trout don’t occur naturally in my state, so one of the best fishing trips I ever had was getting to fish a stream on private land for trout. This was a family member from my wifes side, so I had the stream to myself for a half mile section. Growing up bass fishing I lost a few before I learned just how fragile their mouths are, but once I got the hang of it it was a challenge unlike any fishing I had done. You can’t man handle a trout in. I caught a limit that day. 

• Like 1

On 1/14/2019 at 9:40 PM, SilverRidge01 said:

Anyone here a fly fisher person, trout, bass, panfish ? I'm into bamboo fly rods, got 30 plus rods both graphite and cane, many years of accumulating rods, reels, flies etc, prefer 

light and ultralight tackle .... Been fly rodding 40 years plus from Maine to Florida to the Pacific Northwest ...

Fellow flyrodder checking in.  I've been fly fishing for about 40 years as well, for all kinds of fish, all over the world.  I have everything from 0 weight up to 12 weight.

I lived in the mountain west for man years, so trout were my main target.  I live on the SE Coast now, so reds, blues, flounder, trout, bonito, albies, jacks, etc, are my main targets these days.

• Like 1

Hello fellow flyrodder, had a home in Oregon, recently sold it, the streams, rivers, creeks are a Mecca for Trout fly fishermen in the pac nw, lived 15 mins from some of the finest cutthroat fly fishing, now residing full time in so florida, different ballgame for fly fishing but still challenging, I've targeted bass mostly down here large mouth and found a tremendous fighting game fish called a Peacock bass, fighting fish I've ever seen, they take being caught personally, usually catch 8-14 inch fish ocassionally 14-16 on a  3-4 -5 weight line on a 6.5-7.5-8 foot rod, great fun on ultra weight & medium tackle, used to live for a short time on the jersey shore, used to fly fish the surf in seaside heights, and other towns along the Atlantic coast for Blues and stripe bass with a 8-9 foot rod also fun getting into a 8-10 bass I miss that fishing ..just started to target exotics down here .5-1.5 lb fish on a 1-2 weight gotta keep on fly fishing its in my blood ..nice talking to you ...

• Like 1

On January 17, 2019 at 1:41 PM, DWARREN123 said:

I like lite gear. My last outfit is a 3/4 weight deal. I am not that good but I have a ton of fun.

I also do lite spinning, anything from 2 to 8 pound rigs.

Recently got interested in ultra light spinning 2-4-6 lb test, purchased some recommended Berkley nanofil line in 4 lb test, can't believe the distance I get when casting it, amazing line, also got a bamboo 6'0 UL rod from overseas, sweet flexing rod ..... 3-4 weight fly tackle is real fun and sport  targeting bass and panfish ..don't give up on it, practice, practice go find a small pond with sunfish best way to hone your skills ...