Motorhome vs. 5th wheel

RenoF250

I am thinking of getting an RV of some sort to get the family out camping and away from the internet.  My first thought was 5th wheel so I would not have another vehicle to insure register but the problem is I would not be able to tow my Jeep.  I am trying to stay under 10k and those are all gas powered MH.  I found 2 that look decent for ~$6,500.  I am sure mileage will suck but not sure how bad.

What do I need to know?  Either way I am concerned about the tires, that could go over $1k right away with 5th or MH.

5 minutes ago, RenoF250 said:

I am thinking of getting an RV of some sort to get the family out camping and away from the internet.  My first thought was 5th wheel so I would not have another vehicle to insure register but the problem is I would not be able to tow my Jeep.  I am trying to stay under 10k and those are all gas powered MH.  I found 2 that look decent for ~$6,500.  I am sure mileage will suck but not sure how bad.

What do I need to know?  Either way I am concerned about the tires, that could go over $1k right away with 5th or MH.

If I was going to spend 10k on an RV, it would be towed.  I've had everything from travel trailers to Class A diesels.  Last time I put tires on the Class A, it was nearly $6k.  Motorhomes and trailers are holes where you throw in money.  The more expensive it is, the more money the hole requires.  

Don't expect double digit mileage from a gas burner, but one diesel I had would get 17 mpg at 75 mph on cruise on the interstate.   Expect new batteries every four years.  A trailer may only have two batteries, but a big diesel may have 8.  Trailers also don't require oil, transmission, and differential service, which on big rigs runs into some big dollars.

The problems you will run into and should check thoroughly on a trailer and tires, bearings, electrical, fridge, batteries, air, and heat.  At that price range, if it came with auto level, pass on it.  It will have problems and cost you.  On things like the fridge, make sure the recalled parts have been fixed.  I've never had a fridge that didn't have a recall.  If they aren't fixed, they can have fires.  

Check the roof and all skylights, vents, AC units, antennas, etc.  You'll be able to tell if the roof has been maintained well.  

PM me if I can help.

• Like 1

I hate to say it but around here for 10G all you are going to get is either a mobile meth lab or something so tiny you can't fit your family into it.  

We are in our third fifth wheel in the last 15 years.     I like the freedom of being able to just drive around where ever we want.     

We have been contemplating making the switch to a motorhome as our truck sits A LOT.  It's a really nice truck but I just can't stand daily driving it.    As of now it's been being driven probably 3k miles a year.  So if we get a motorhome the drivetrain is going to sit around just as much.  

If you really think you are going to pull your jeep around you are going to need a pretty solid motorhome and I don't know if 10k is gonna do it.   But definitely have to go motorhome.    

Sorry I'm rambling a bit and of not much help.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

From experience...RENT one, have a great time and give it back.  Like Al said.....It's a hole into which you will constantly pour MONEY!!  AND, now, where ya gonna park it?  Got a Farm?:D  Then, there's always the Guilt you will feel if you don't use it enough.

All of these are valid concerns for sure but not a given for everybody.     

Our current fifth wheel is around 8 years old and I think all I bought for it is a set of tires and inner wheel bearing seals.     Other than that it has been very reliable.  

Also in our case our trailer is our second home.   I like it to feel that way.   When I have been in rentals before it's just that.     Also loading up a rental sucks.    

We keep enough stuff in our trailer that we don't have that huge chore of loading and unloading.    Clothes and refrigerator is about it.  

• Like 1

Skip the jeep, up your budget a bit, and get a 5th wheel. Repairs on a trailer are easy, on a motorhome you will run into issues when needing a lift / shop who accepts them, is not booked out, etc.

Only one I would consider (just for me, a couple at best) are Sprinter based RVs, but they will run you a lot more. The V6 Diesel can get away wit 20 MPG.

Image result for sprinter rv

Edited by crockett
  • Like 2

My preference is a fifth wheel, but I also already have two trucks capable of pulling one.

I have had my fifth wheel toy hauler since 2011 and use it often. Over 40 weeks last year alone.  For me the comment about being a hole to throw money into just is not accurate. I have had to spend very little on mine.

4 hours ago, crockett said:

Skip the jeep, up your budget a bit, and get a 5th wheel. Repairs on a trailer are easy, on a motorhome you will run into issues when needing a lift / shop who accepts them, is not booked out, etc.

Only one I would consider (just for me, a couple at best) are Sprinter based RVs, but they will run you a lot more. The V6 Diesel can get away wit 20 MPG.

Image result for sprinter rv

I like the idea but those are all crazy expensive. $60k+

I am thinking of trying with rental but a big part of it is it can't be a pain or we won't go.  So rental will rarely happen, if we own it is packed and ready we decide to go on Thursday and leave on Friday.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Al Czervik said:

If I was going to spend 10k on an RV, it would be towed.  I've had everything from travel trailers to Class A diesels.  Last time I put tires on the Class A, it was nearly $6k.  Motorhomes and trailers are holes where you throw in money.  The more expensive it is, the more money the hole requires.  

Don't expect double digit mileage from a gas burner, but one diesel I had would get 17 mpg at 75 mph on cruise on the interstate.   Expect new batteries every four years.  A trailer may only have two batteries, but a big diesel may have 8.  Trailers also don't require oil, transmission, and differential service, which on big rigs runs into some big dollars.

The problems you will run into and should check thoroughly on a trailer and tires, bearings, electrical, fridge, batteries, air, and heat.  At that price range, if it came with auto level, pass on it.  It will have problems and cost you.  On things like the fridge, make sure the recalled parts have been fixed.  I've never had a fridge that didn't have a recall.  If they aren't fixed, they can have fires.  

Check the roof and all skylights, vents, AC units, antennas, etc.  You'll be able to tell if the roof has been maintained well.  

PM me if I can help.

I talked to a friend that has owned trailers, class A and now Class C which is their favorite.  He has basically this and I am thinking of upping my budget and doing the same.  Could tow the Jeep and wife can drive, also very good use of space.

https://www.cruiseamerica.com/buy/vehicleDetails.aspx?stock=303322&Model=28A

I think we would use it a lot, probably every other weekend and then 2 or 3 week long trips a year.  Also, would store all of the crap when not in use.  That is all currently in an enclose trailer that I could sell for ~$2,500.

4 hours ago, Mr. Black said:

I hate to say it but around here for 10G all you are going to get is either a mobile meth lab or something so tiny you can't fit your family into it.  

We are in our third fifth wheel in the last 15 years.     I like the freedom of being able to just drive around where ever we want.     

We have been contemplating making the switch to a motorhome as our truck sits A LOT.  It's a really nice truck but I just can't stand daily driving it.    As of now it's been being driven probably 3k miles a year.  So if we get a motorhome the drivetrain is going to sit around just as much.  

If you really think you are going to pull your jeep around you are going to need a pretty solid motorhome and I don't know if 10k is gonna do it.   But definitely have to go motorhome.    

Sorry I'm rambling a bit and of not much help.  

One other comment that my friend said that backed up a concern I had was driving the truck + 5th was WAY more dangerous than driving the MH.  He had a heavy 5th and he said he does not know how they made it home sometimes whereas his wife drives the Class C pulling a trailer no problem.

I do not like the added insurance and registration AND added maintenance though.  Seems like I am changing oil in something once a week already.

I agree that you aren't going to get anything worth having for 10K.

I like a 5th wheel myself, if you want the jeep put a hitch on the back of the 5th wheel trailer and pull it, most states allow recreational doubles with in a length limit. In MI you get an endorsement on your license for $5.00 after you pass a 20 or 30 question test, pretty easy is you read the book for a minute or two before taking the test. 

16 minutes ago, RenoF250 said:

I talked to a friend that has owned trailers, class A and now Class C which is their favorite.  He has basically this and I am thinking of upping my budget and doing the same.  Could tow the Jeep and wife can drive, also very good use of space.

I think we would use it a lot, probably every other weekend and then 2 or 3 week long trips a year.  Also, would store all of the crap when not in use.  That is all currently in an enclose trailer that I could sell for ~$2,500.

12 minutes ago, RenoF250 said:

One other comment that my friend said that backed up a concern I had was driving the truck + 5th was WAY more dangerous than driving the MH.  He had a heavy 5th and he said he does not know how they made it home sometimes whereas his wife drives the Class C pulling a trailer no problem.

I do not like the added insurance and registration AND added maintenance though.  Seems like I am changing oil in something once a week already.

Yeah, my wife would never pull a trailer, but she will drive the Class A pulling a Jeep up the hills at 75 in her pjs.

The capacities on the unit you linked to are probably ok for weekends, but for longer trips, they are on the small side.  Keep in mind that for the same price range, a nice used trailer or 5W will probably have 2-3 slides, nicer amenities, more capacities and a bigger generator.

32 minutes ago, RenoF250 said:

That looks pretty good for the price. And a Ford is a bonus in my book.

2 minutes ago, Al Czervik said:

Yeah, my wife would never pull a trailer, but she will drive the Class A pulling a Jeep up the hills at 75 in her pjs.

The capacities on the unit you linked to are probably ok for weekends, but for longer trips, they are on the small side.  Keep in mind that for the same price range, a nice used trailer or 5W will probably have 2-3 slides, nicer amenities, more capacities and a bigger generator.

Capacities you mean the propane, water and waste tanks?  I am figuring for the longer trips we may have to find a dump station to hitup mid week or just run lean.  One place I know we want to go for a long trip has pit toilets so we would use those during the day to extend the tanks.

1 minute ago, RenoF250 said:

Capacities you mean the propane, water and waste tanks?  I am figuring for the longer trips we may have to find a dump station to hitup mid week or just run lean.  One place I know we want to go for a long trip has pit toilets so we would use those during the day to extend the tanks.

There will be plenty of room in and under the Ford for extra tanks and batteries.

48 minutes ago, RenoF250 said:

Yes, gas, water, etc.  

Dump stations kinda suck.  I had a new paver driveway installed.  I had a clean out that was next to the driveway rigged with a faux paver top and a connection compatible with my hose, so it could be dumped at home. ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I traveled on the Shooting circuit for 8 years. We were on the road 6 Mos every year. I chose Cummins Powered Dodge Trucks and 28' trailers with sliders. We wore out 3 trucks and 4 trailers crossing the U.S. many times. What ever you choose prepare to spend far more than you anticipate. 

• Like 3

I just came into this thread to advise to avoid Ford motorhomes, lol.

My dad's best friend has a late 90's Ford C-Class with a 460 and overdrive transmission.  They use it twice a year.  Once to go down to Yuma, AZ to get to their winter home, and once to get back to Idaho in the spring.

He's gone through 3-4 transmissions in the past ten years.  The last one cost him $6k and was supposedly built by a shop that specializes in bulletproof RV transmissions.  My dad also had a 90's 1-ton Ford crew cab with the powerstroke and automatic transmission (E4OD?) and he had to have it re-built a couple of times at great expense.  It's the reason he went to Chevy and the Allison transmission, which has been bulletproof, but the head gaskets let go on his Duramax at 110k miles and cost $10k to replace...

I also had a personal experience when I was at Fort Irwin attending NTC training.  We had 5-6 brand new Ford 14-passenger vans with the 6.8 V10 and automatic transmissions used for ferrying soldiers around base and to the airport.  In three weeks, we lost four transmissions.  Could not believe it!

So, I don't do Ford pickup automatic transmissions that are out of warranty...

On one hand, if you already have an F250 pick-up or equivalent a 5th wheel would make a lot of sense. They cost much less to maintain  than a motorhome. That was our first purchase (slightly used) and it was very nice and convenient. The problem was, my wife would not hook it up and didn't want to learn and also didn't like driving it even though she loves driving the F250.  We ended up selling that unit and buying a nice 34' diesel Class C. We use the unit quite a bit and my wife thinks nothing of driving it herself when she wants to take the dogs to a dog show. She actually drives it more than I do.  That said, If it were just me, I would probably pull a 5th wheel behind the truck. It is much less expensive to maintain than a motorhome and convenient to use when needed. 

9 hours ago, PNWguy said:

I just came into this thread to advise to avoid Ford motorhomes, lol.

My dad's best friend has a late 90's Ford C-Class with a 460 and overdrive transmission.  They use it twice a year.  Once to go down to Yuma, AZ to get to their winter home, and once to get back to Idaho in the spring.

He's gone through 3-4 transmissions in the past ten years.  The last one cost him $6k and was supposedly built by a shop that specializes in bulletproof RV transmissions.  My dad also had a 90's 1-ton Ford crew cab with the powerstroke and automatic transmission (E4OD?) and he had to have it re-built a couple of times at great expense.  It's the reason he went to Chevy and the Allison transmission, which has been bulletproof, but the head gaskets let go on his Duramax at 110k miles and cost $10k to replace...

I also had a personal experience when I was at Fort Irwin attending NTC training.  We had 5-6 brand new Ford 14-passenger vans with the 6.8 V10 and automatic transmissions used for ferrying soldiers around base and to the airport.  In three weeks, we lost four transmissions.  Could not believe it!

So, I don't do Ford pickup automatic transmissions that are out of warranty...

Old trannies were E40D, the 4R100, then 5R110.  The 5R110 was suppose to fix the problems and that is the transmission it should have.  My F250 has the 4R100 and it has been rebuilt once for 4k.  There aren't many options for chassis, seems like it is 90% Ford and 10% GM Workhorse.  Not many diesels in Class C.

On 1/14/2019 at 4:30 PM, OGW said:

Why pay for and maintain two drivetrains when one will do?

So I can tow the Jeep.  I am not pulling 2 trailers, that is almost impossible to backup.  Also, the truck does not enjoy pulling one, 2 would be no fun at all.

Wife can drive motorhome and from what I am seeing the drivetrain is almost free.  I cannot find an equivalent trailer for much less than the MH I am looking at.  The maintenance and insurance is still a concern though.