This vehicle will secure your man card.

PNWguy

Saw this for sale on Main street in my little town.  Appears to be in pretty good shape and is cool as heck.  Price is a bit steep, though, at $6k.  Don't know the market for these so it may be a fair price.

Is screaming for a total resto-mod re-do with a small-block Chevy conversion, 37" tires, and bright red paint job...

lXXXDEmsQmKJWTT6JayZOg.jpg.e7012b0e6a1326744eccd1305dabab53.jpg

5dd161c80e3af32753a62201a3bf7831.jpg

• Like 8

5 hours ago, PNWguy said:

Saw this for sale on Main street in my little town.  Appears to be in pretty good shape and is cool as heck.  Price is a bit steep, though, at $6k.  Don't know the market for these so it may be a fair price.

Is screaming for a total resto-mod re-do with a small-block Chevy conversion, 37" tires, and bright red paint job...

the perfect engine and drive train for the swap is the 1st gen c.c. Cummins parked right next to it.

matter of fact i`d just buy the Cummins next to it.

Edited by holyjohnson
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, holyjohnson said:

the perfect engine and drive train for the swap is the 1st gen c.c. Cummins parked right next to it.

matter of fact i`d just buy the Cummins next to it.

Dude the 6BT weighs way to dang much for that chebby. 

If youre going to do a 6BT, the easiest way is to drop the 37 body on a chopped 2500 or W250 frame. Putting a 6BT into something not built for that 1300 lb motor is a fab nightmare. 

• Like 1

My late grandpa was the king of diesel conversions.  Back in 1979, he wanted a diesel in a 4x4 3/4-ton pickup with which to tow his Airstream.  Trouble is, no one made one then, so he built one using a brand new Chevy pickup and a brand new Deutz 5cyl diesel.

He used a 10spd manual transmission and fabbed everything himself, including the transfer case adapter.  It worked amazingly well and every time we went camping with him, after he'd idle through the campground in 4th gear and park, a bunch of men would come walking up asking to see what was under the hood.

He would spend hours showing off the motor and answering questions.  He loved it.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, PNWguy said:

That's a pretty cool truck. :599c64b15e0f8_thumbsup:

• Like 2

16 hours ago, PNWguy said:

Both of these qualify for the label of "will climb a vertical wall with decent tires" and have earned every word of the label. I agree that $6k seems steep since it would be easy to spend twice that in the upgrade/restoration yet it seems such a worthy project. The PW certainly provides a lot of inspiration on what the old converted military truck could be. If I were a retired firefighter, I'd ask for permission to outfit it and mark it as an auxiliary of my old department and then drive it in every community parade around the area. I think that would be great fun. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, AK_Stick said:

Dude the 6BT weighs way to dang much for that chebby. 

If youre going to do a 6BT, the easiest way is to drop the 37 body on a chopped 2500 or W250 frame. Putting a 6BT into something not built for that 1300 lb motor is a fab nightmare. 

The Cummins weighs 1300 lbs?  Sweet ****!  I knew it was a heavy engine but......

An aftermarket (if available) or custom frame might be the best way to do it, but that takes mucho dinero.

Edited by SC Tiger