Dogs have been my life.

Dog Soldier

I feel you.  Everyone, including my wife have finally warmed up to dogs, except my son, who thinks be licked by one is the worst thing ever.  My GSD is yipping and barking around the backyard, his favorite activity.  Fortunately, it stopped raining for the moment, so he is no longer a muddy dog.  The rat terrier pup is inside for the most part.  I have been trying to slowing introduce them to each other.  The puppy is fearless unless he playing with the equivalent of a T-Rex that mouths him, but doesn't bite down.  Though it would take just one bite.  They both have the positions of companion, but serve different roles.  The GSD is a great guard too.  The rat terrier is going to do what he was meant to do when he is fully grown.  Though, mostly he seems to be my daughter's lap dog. 

The GSD is on full alert when someone rings the bell or pounds on the door.  I remember by wife didn't fully lock the back door the morning before she went to work.  It was right before the kid's school vacation.  Some missionaries, of whatever church I have no idea came by.  90 pounds of GSD hit that back door, which came wide open and he was all hackles, teeth and barking ready to take on the intruders.  I told him to go back out, I would call him if needed.  He went, and I handled the people at the door.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Alabusa said:

What a beauty! Is it a Scottish Setter?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Very interesting that you called these dogs "Scottish Setters" . I like that. Yes, they were brought by the Celts from the Iberian Peninsula. The Celtic Tribes were the Comanches  of Europe.  These dogs were called Hyland Spaniels by the Romans. Gordon Alexander named them his Castle Dogs, So today they are "Gordon Setters".  They were a mix of colors in 1923 the "Black and Tan" was chosen for the pedigreed dogs.  But your term "Scottish Setter" is dead on. Thanks. 

My dogs have all been Spring Set Gordons.

http://www.springset.com/gallery.html

• Like 4

Yes, my German Shepherd loves my company, and craves attention.  I try to get to sleep early on school nights, as my day starts off at 0530, so I try to go to sleep early when I can help it.  My big boy likes to go across the house, push open my door, sidle up to my bed and land both paws in my chest.  A rather rude awakening, But, all he is asking for is a chest scratch and his ears scratched.  One of least favorite surprises along with his snout in my crotch sniffing around with "I know what you did expression on his face."  I can keep coitus from the kids successfully but not from the strong nose of my GSD.  He has always had an extra long tail.  It was cute when he was little, now it is a club.  A crotch clubbing, door opening club.  Sometimes he is like a cow.  He can stand there panting happily having his ears scratched having no clue he is putting his full weight on your foot.  But, all in all, other than running full tilt in the house and knocking me on my tuchus, he is a great dog.  Smart as a whip, easy to train.  The Rat Terrier on the other hand is resisting potty training.  He is taken out in the front yard on a leash in the morning, so as not to cause conflict with the GSD.  He just shivers, comes back, warms up, squats, and take a steamer on the faux wood floor.  We've tried the pads with him strategically by the door, he is just stubborn.  Intelligent, but stubborn.  He is very emotive too.  He lives up to the Snoopy name and color that way.  I can usually keep him calm by taking him on the couch and scratching his back for him.  That is unless, he wants to run, and gallop around and kill the squeaky sheep like it was a rodent half his size.  He is also at that awkward phase like most young creatures about putting foreign objects in his mouth.  He is not exactly easy to catch.

My wife will snatch him up, and say, "Now, what did you put in that adorable mouth of yours?"  I guess as the children grow up, it is like a surrogate baby for her, and she finds it adorable and cute. 

Edited by Moshe
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Huski92 said:

cfeb03529c241b7ba720b2ba916117a9.jpg

My girl. We had stopped by Grunt Style to pick up an order. They invited her in too. She met all the employees and they gave her a cape. And me a beer. Great company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She seems oddly at peace with a garment wrapped around her.  My GSD was not pleased at first about wearing a black spiked collar.  But, he is used to it now.

Edited by Moshe
  • Like 1

I bought a spiked collar for my Yorkie.  But to get his size, I had to buy it from a Goth store in the mall, where all the little girl teeny boppers dressed in Black, swarmed me when I was checking out. 

They thought I was so cool buying a spiked collar for my daughter.  Until I told them it was for my dog.  Then I was the scourge of society.  It was fun!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, janice6 said:

I bought a spiked collar for my Yorkie.  But to get his size, I had to buy it from a Goth store in the mall, where all the little girl teeny boppers dressed in Black, swarmed me when I was checking out. 

They thought I was so cool buying a spiked collar for my daughter.  Until I told them it was for my dog.  Then I was the scourge of society.  It was fun!

Wow! I like that story. You can not make that up. Great post.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, janice6 said:

Mine is less dramatic.  I finally found it at Tractor Supply.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dog Soldier said:

The best folks around here shop at Tractor Supply. :cowboy2:

We have two of them around here and I'm a regular.  Got deal on some ammo cans a while back.  Packed ammo by type, put a couple desiccant packs in each and marked each with type and the date.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pipedreams said:

We have two of them around here and I'm a regular.  Got deal on some ammo cans a while back.  Packed ammo by type, put a couple desiccant packs in each and marked each with type and the date.

Tractor Supply and Rural King are both great for farm & horse related items.

5 hours ago, pipedreams said:

Oh! and I forgot wooden stick matches that you can strike anywhere.

Forgot that was Farm King not Tractor Supply, same idea.

We also have Murdock's Ranch Supply. They have evrything you need. Their gun rooms are always well stocked with firearms and reloading supplies. They supply the Hunting Outfitters as well. 

• Like 1