$300,000 each accident
$8.00
Personal Injury Protection: $20k Medical expenses $20k Economic limits $20.00
Comprehensive: $500 deductible with $0 Glass deductible $36.00
Collision: $500 deductible $79.00
Rental Reimbursement: $40 each day
maximum 30 days
$9.00

You must be in a much better state, with less insurance fraud going on, and less people driving around without insurance.

Our premiums in Florida clearly reflect the massive amount of scum we house.

• Like 1

• Administrators
2 hours ago, astepup said:

Would it be worth taking it to small claims court?

I fully intend to. I don't know that I will be able to recover anything, but I am going to damned sure try.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Eric, something similar happened to me many years ago.

I was hit head on by a kid who wasn't paying attention. No one was hurt but both vehicles sustained several thousands of dollars in damages. He, too, was uninsured.

I collected all the data of what my expenses were and then took him to small claims court. They put a lien on his drivers license and he had to make good on restitution before he could get his license back. Took the better part of a year before I released it. It was my call.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators
3 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Nice clean work.

I would have had to pick up the air chisel to speed things up.

I’ve got an air chisel type of mentality too, but it is tempered by the knowledge that I have to put all the parts back together again. :biggrin: 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Eric said:

I’ve got an air chisel type of mentality too, but it is tempered by the knowledge that I have to put all the parts back together again. :biggrin: 

Sometimes the urge needs to be scratched.  But seriously, it does look like nice clean work.  I've done a few front and rear clips myself.

• Like 2

• Administrators
1 minute ago, janice6 said:

Sometimes the urge needs to be scratched.  But seriously, it does look like nice clean work.  I've done a few front and rear clips myself.

I don’t have any pics of it, but my nephew and I beat the ever-loving **** out of the donor car trunk lid with a combination hammer & axe. It was satisfying as hell. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Eric, just how do you throw way the carcass of  a mostly dismantled automobile?

I don't think Hefty makes a arge enough.

Even if they are Hefty! Hefty! Hefty! and all others are Wimpy.  Wimpy. Wimpy.

Do you keep the wheels on so it rolls nicely onto a flatbed?

• Administrators
1 hour ago, tous said:

Eric, just how do you throw way the carcass of  a mostly dismantled automobile?

I don't think Hefty makes a arge enough.

Even if they are Hefty! Hefty! Hefty! and all others are Wimpy.  Wimpy. Wimpy.

Do you keep the wheels on so it rolls nicely onto a flatbed?

A junkyard will pay me a bit for the carcass and they will haul it off. I’m keeping a few other select bits to sell, to further offset the cost of the donor car. 

Structural integrity is definitely out the window at this point, but I am not taking anything off that will compromise the chassis and suspension. It will roll around fine, but they will definitely have to haul it away on a flatbed wrecker. It is amazing how little strength each of the steel panels have when they aren’t all welded together. Conversely, it is amazing how strong a structure they form, when they are all welded together.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Eric said:

A junkyard will pay me a bit for the carcass and they will haul it off. I’m keeping a few other select bits to sell, to further offset the cost of the donor car. 

Structural integrity is definitely out the window at this point, but I am not taking anything off that will compromise the chassis and suspension. It will roll around fine, but they will definitely have to haul it away on a flatbed wrecker. It is amazing how little strength each of the steel panels have when they aren’t all welded together. Conversely, it is amazing how strong a structure they form, when they are all welded together.

It is.  It's also interesting when they change it's purpose but not it's structural design.

I posted a while ago about my 1966 Mustang convertible.   I really loved driving that car.  It was one of my many  Mustangs.  I could buy any for $175 from the Insurance lot and put them on the road for myself for between $200 and $300 dollars.  Paint and all.

Anyway.  When the made the convertible they put about 3/16" thick steel plates bolted between the channels of the pan in the body under the driver and passenger seats to "re-enforce" the structure, since it now had no roof to stabilize it.

The fun was when you went across raised railroad tracks.  The driver could feel the steering wheel moving away from the drivers seat.  A little disconcerting.  When you jacked the car up you should open the doors so they wouldn't jam into the frame and chip the paint.

All in all, I loved driving that car! Marvelous performance considering it was a Big Ford 6 cylinder.  You couldn't lug it with the manual, too much torque.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Modern aircraft are pretty much glued together.

Mainly due to the fact that you can't weld carbon fiber  and the panels are so thin that heat distorts them or just consumes them.

Plus, automobiles don't need to survive 20 years of pressurization or zip along at  450 knots.

I suspect that using that technique when you build 30,000 of a thing rather than 100 is cost prohibitive.

Simple answer: duct tape.

• Thanks 1

• Administrators
8 hours ago, tous said:

Eric, are the body panels on modern, unibody automobiles still spot welded or so they glue them together these days?

Most steel cars are still spot-welded, or at least contain a lot of spot welds. There are all sorts of amazing products and techniques used for panel joinery today though. There are some incredible adhesives, blind friction rivets. There is even a steel velcro-style hook-and-loop panel attachment system. I doubt if we will see spot-welding go away any time soon though, as long as cars are still made with steel. The infrastructure is already in place and it is an easy, incredibly strong way to build a car.

Anyway, a combination of panel adhesives, sealers and spot welds is the way most steel cars still get built.

• Thanks 2

On 12/28/2018 at 5:24 PM, Eric said:

This just gets better and better. I found out today that the guy who hit me definitely does not have insurance. This ****ing idiot's irresponsible actions have cost me several thousand dollars and there isn't a damned thing I can do about it. I am so angry that I can't see straight.

Was going to recommend to sue the guy to the point he has to give you his pants on the way out of the courtroom.  

You could probably get the truck and sell it to offset the cost.