Tips for Storing Ammunition

pipedreams

Lot's of storage ideas to think about.

"Safety first! Before you even purchase ammunition, you should know where you will store it and how. Therefore, regardless of where you decide to store your ammunition, make sure it’s always in a safe location. If you have children, you know what I’m talking about, as kids are extremely curious."

https://gunnewsdaily.com/best-way-to-store-ammo/

I keep them in magazines or in ammo cans that are labeled.  It makes it a lot easier if you are loading a magazine or going shooting with the family, you know what ammo box you need to bring, and you can also check your supplies.  .45 ACP seems to go the fastest.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You must shoot a lot, or want your surviving family to have the ammo as an investment for the future. I really can't imagine having that much money tied up in ammo. After reading your post I went to my ammo cabinet and looked and see that I have about 4,000 22LR, and about 2,000 of other pistol calibers, and do not plan on buying any until I am down to less than half that total. I admit I am impressed at that 100,000 figure!

• Like 1

On 12/23/2018 at 10:11 AM, Moshe said:

I keep them in magazines or in ammo cans that are labeled.  It makes it a lot easier if you are loading a magazine or going shooting with the family, you know what ammo box you need to bring, and you can also check your supplies.  .45 ACP seems to go the fastest.

Pretty much the same. Except 9mm seems to go fastest. 

• Like 1

That is pretty common these days I have noticed.  I have been following that trend as ammo prices aren't inflated as they once were.  I suspect it is due to the Military's switch to the Sig 365 and M-17.  It does confuse me a bit, as the 92F has been around for decades.  I suppose it had become droll.  Now, a new trend has seemed to spark a trend for 9mm.  Companies are trying to react and produce many things in 9mm.  But, I could pre-suppose that has to do with the Government wide switch to 9mm.  I remember when I carried one for work, because I preferred the Glock over the SIG 229 .40 DAO.  The only Glocks authorized were 9mm.  So, you were usually the odd man out, getting the minimal 9mm you could as the workhorse was .40 S&W.  I suspect now, with the Government wide switch, and even the DPS here being switched to the military handgun, that a aware populous thought, I need to get on board with this trend, they must know something.

What they did know is Sig was willing to produce the cheapest weapon available.  So, with a worried populous seeing the Government and State and possibly locals switching over to that weapon, they must know something.  What the knew is it costs about 180.00 per weapon to the Government per weapon, per weapon carrier.  I recall listening, as in public I spend most of my time observing and listening.  There was an older DPS Officer at a tire shop, who spent a great deal of time conversing with the older gentlemen up front that loves to talk.  The DPS guy went on about he hated the new weapon, and the cartridge, as he preferred a more reliable system with a harder punching round.

Now, I am not asking all the denizens to come brandishing torches and pitchforks about 9mm vs. this, vs. that.  I have discovered through trial and error, and research the following:

.45 is generally out of favor.  Something must be wrong with it, if the Corps gave up its beloved Colt 1911 .45 which is actually hard to find and is at a steep price, because the Marine Corps carried it so it must be important.  I understand that thought process when I was a young man and a military brat.  I thought, if the military uses it, it must be good.  Not necessarily, as I discovered in real world experience.  They are a trial an error organization.  Look at early vs later Gortex, or the inability to decide on a camo color.  Having a "Fat Boy" program for years, and after awhile you see really oversized uniforms, as if like my beloved USBP, any warm body will do.  But, I remember, when bases smelled like cigarettes and cigars in the carpet and topless women would pose with flight crew and it be hung on a wall.  I have seen a lot of changes, such as no smoking in the building, and no naked women adorning the walls.

Adaptation and trends are inherently human trait.  I recall, before there were random school mass shootings, that there were a few manufacturers, and you could recognize make and model on sight.  Firearms were in the parking lots.  Firearms were brought into the building and no one flinched.  Fights were decided by-in-large with fists.  Murders, though, rare only occurred in one place, the quarry.  It still baffled me the fools that would accept an invitation there, knowing how many others had been done away there.  I remember turning down a pretty young black girl to the dance, not because I had an issue with her.  I found her to be very attractive at the time.  However, I knew very well from weight class that there was underlying racism, and it was not by the "white" people.  I was afraid they would harm us.  Having to listen to a chorus by the two guys with whom I shared locker space of "Kill all the white people."  I recall the same people threatening me, because I was waiting in line for the tri-cep pull up bars, and I was accused by the black guys of class of ogling the half black girl that was on them, when I was simply waiting my turn.  That much has blossomed over time. 

Do I have a problem with inter-racial couples?  Hardly.  I think it is nice that these things can happen these days without threats of violence, usually.  So, things change, yet they don't. There is a repetition of overt racism again in our country.  Thank you for that Obama [Sarcastic].  The argument going on when I was a younger man was 10mm vs. .40S&W.

Here is what I have gleaned in the current trending of firearms, as with the pantheon of manufacturers, it is more like dealing with livestock futures rather than brands:

1. 9mm is in .45 and up is pretty much out except to people who are a bit older and like me are stuck on other calibers besides 9mm (not that I don't own any I do).  But, that is under the rub.  Age makes a lot of people recoil sensitive.  I can identify with that, not being able to handle the recoil impulse above a .357 and I haven't tested that lately, focusing on the .45 ACP which can be snappy in a smaller frame, than again so can 9mm.

2. Shotguns are generally out of favor, whether it be hunting or tactical.  They generally aren't moving that much, unless something comes out.  The really specialized shotguns, go for a premium, but don't really move.

3. The concept of "Gun shaming."  Yes, the millennials are here and they want to own guns and bring their "Shaming" cliché into the discussion.

4. Factionalism.  My brand is better than your brand.  No, your brand sucks, and so do you.  That is typically with the older grumpier crowd.  I remember the advent of Glock, and the Tupperware comments, and fears about Airport Security, etc.  This led to Glockers and Non-Glockers.  In a world with few choices, I was a hard core Glocker.  So, I lived in a plastic vs. metal world. 

5. Companies trying to move AR's as they flooded the market with every political scare, and in anticipation of a Hillary win.  That has really brought the 556 into favor, because the weapon systems are cheap and available. 

6. The next trend?  I suspect it will possibly be .308 as the Military considers bringing it back in an AR format.  Time will tell, as a public watches carefully on the next choice, as the debate there is weight vs. Soldier load.  If they choose it, expect the 556 dropping by the wayside, for the tried and true, venerable .308.

That is what I have learned about the firearm world lately. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Vito said:

You must shoot a lot, or want your surviving family to have the ammo as an investment for the future. I really can't imagine having that much money tied up in ammo. After reading your post I went to my ammo cabinet and looked and see that I have about 4,000 22LR, and about 2,000 of other pistol calibers, and do not plan on buying any until I am down to less than half that total. I admit I am impressed at that 100,000 figure!

I just bought when I made good money and being in CA staying ahead of any BS. I have a friend, old dude with 100,00 rounds of .308 alone he is an OCD record keeper. When he dies, he is around 80, I will try to buy this from his wife. He helped launch Crimson trace, Trrijicon and other products into the business world. 

The other thing besides many guns is many guitars. I’m set...

17 minutes ago, Moshe said:

It is sad that you choose to be juvenile about this.  I would hate to see yet another thread lock,  This is actually a good thread,  Further, I enjoy talking to the Historian.

You don't even realize how much BS comes from your posts.

Well, this was about supposition, and study of trends.  Do you have a cogent or better explanation, proffer it, or just go on your merry way.  Miami needs you someplace today, I am certain.  I suspect on a Friday evening a stool someplace is calling you.

• 2 months later...
All my ammo is in a locked cabinet. But I really do not have concern about a child getting access, as ammo without a firearm is pretty benign. 

Understand that in a fire, stored smokeless powder Ammo cooks off, but since it is unconfined it isn’t overly dangerous. Black powder... that’s different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk