Glock Drawing - Updated 10-11-17

Eric

On 9/6/2017 at 11:14 PM, Eric said:

I see the struggle between a site's need to earn a living with ads and the site's readers' resistance to view those ads building to a crisis. The answer to a growing number of people blocking and ignoring ads isn't to shove even bigger and more intrusive ads in their faces. That is self-defeating. It is just going to piss people off and alienate the very membership the site is trying to foster. The answer is to give everyone a chance to share in the benefit of those ads. What I envision for this site is an ad and incentive system much like radio stations have been running for decades.

For the record, I will never run pop-up ads, pop-under ads, or any other type of intrusive ad systems like that. I believe the incentive system I am preparing to launch will eliminate the need for such things. I don't like ads like that and I have given a lot of thought to how I can make this place work, without resorting to such tactics. I am rolling the dice that this approach will work for everyone.

Eric   --  I'll take you at your word and allow ads on this site.

But, in general, the advertisers have seriously alienated me:  pop-ups; pop-unders; flashing banner ads; ads that slide over the content and more.  

I know that content costs and bandwidth costs,  but the ads got to the point they were abusive. 

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, misterfox said:

Eric   --  I'll take you at your word and allow ads on this site.

But, in general, the advertisers have seriously alienated me:  pop-ups; pop-unders; flashing banner ads; ads that slide over the content and more.  

I know that content costs and bandwidth costs,  but the ads got to the point they were abusive. 

When it has been my call to make, I never allowed pop-up/pop-under/etc ads on a site and now that I have a new site, I will continue that policy. There will be ad banners here, but I will keep them as unobtrusive as possible and they will never be doing anything nefarious. I want to try for a paradigm shift in advertising practices here. I believe that the ideas I have outlined above will allow me to accomplish this. I do appreciate everyone's trust and open-mindedness while I get this new system working. I think you will all like the results. 

• Like 1

On 9/6/2017 at 11:44 PM, Eric said:

I should warn you that a holster company has commissioned me to do a series of tastefully nude pictures of myself, wearing only their holster, that will appear in a large number of banner ads throughout the site.

Great! Another exhibit for the Andy Warhol museum? :D

• Administrators

My friend's boy used to have a large arsenal of toy guns when he was young and he loved to play with them. When he shot, he always added sound effects. He knew what sound firearms made. He had gone with us shooting enough. He didn't know what sound a laser made. So, when he fired one of his lasers, he would yell, "LLLLLLLAAAAAAYYYYYYZZZZZZEEEEEERRRRRR!!!!!!" Apparently, 'Laser' is an onomatopoeia.:anim_lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Administrators
Just now, Jason D said:

Just out of curiosity. What kind of Glock are we talking about here?

Papa needs a 17L or 41... Just saying.

I don't know yet, but special orders do upset us.:crylikeender: We are doing this on a shoestring budget. We will probably be getting a G17, G22, G19 or G23. We'll see.

• Haha 1

On 9/7/2017 at 0:17 AM, Eric said:

On 9/7/2017 at 0:17 AM, Eric said:

I believe this site will succeed, but it is only the first step. I'm actually working on a network of new community sites. Some will be ofcused on firearms-related topics. Quite a few others will cover nostalgia-related topics, which is a favorite subject of mine. One of the ones I most look forward to is the next one I intend to open. It will be a Cold War nostalgia site, called Cold War Stories, http://ColdWarStories.com/ . It might seem weird on the face of it, for people to be nostalgic about the Cold War, but I think that a great many people who were rasied and lived in that era will really enjoy this new site. Each of these new sites will support and provide exposure for each other. I'll post more info about this site soon.

sactombstone.jpg.6b277bce956adc801f5fb16a8658f0a8.jpg

sacjimmystewart.jpg.1833e6a224805f4b60a60e4d32e173a8.jpg

Who is this?

• Like 1

• Administrators
Just now, willie-pete said:

:number1:

I am a big fan of that guy. We just don't have that caliber of people in Hollywood any more. Sadly, the current crop of posers don't even realize how and why they don't stack up against someone like that.

• Like 1

• Administrators
Just now, KWalrad said:

Bonus points for being able to spell "onomatopoeia" without looking it up.

Extra credit for using it in a sentence properly.

I salute you, Sir!

My ninth grade English teacher drilled the spelling of that word into my brain. Misspelling it was a particular pet peeve of hers. She was a strange woman, but I liked her. We had similar senses of humor.

• Like 1

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, willie-pete said:

:number1:

I should have said you couldn't answer; you're setting up the new site.

I learned about Jimmy Stewart for the first time in ninth grade Air Force Junior ROTC. He was something of a hero of mine.

• Like 1

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, Jason D said:

Lol.

The 19 has always alluded me. :D

It is an outstanding pistol. It is my second-favorite Glock, behind the G21. As I don't believe the G21 is a realistic choice for everyone, I believe the G19 to be best choice of Glock models for the average shooter to pick up for general self-defense use, if they are set on getting a Glock.

• Like 1

• Administrators
Just now, willie-pete said:

As he was to me. Flew 29 missions during WWII in a B-24; retired as a  Brigadier General.

wp

All of that AND one hell of a good actor and he was, by all accounts, down to Earth and soft-spoken. A real gentleman. We could use a few more like him today.

• Like 3

• Eric unpinned this topic