Snubby's. Just Because....

Wishoot

On 9/12/2017 at 4:34 AM, Spats McGee said:

I've only ever owned one snubnose:  a Ruger LCR in .357.  It's not a lot of fun (nor am I very accurate) with .357s, so I load it with .38s.  It's actually a lot of fun to shoot with those.

Precisely why I got the LCRx in .38. Lighter and still handles +p ammo. They are nice little guns.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
3 hours ago, G19 DB said:

Not what you think of as a typical snubbie, but couldn't pass this up at the LGS.  Shoots and feels awesome!  (44 special)

gp100.png

Those are nice. I got to shoot a cylinder full through a friend's. Congrats.

• Like 4

On 9/22/2017 at 6:43 PM, minervadoe said:

I never thought I'd own a functional plastic revolver.  

LCR.jpg

What grips are those? Don’t think I have seen them before.

After neglecting snubbies for awhile I have been exclusively carrying my LCR lately. Just love dropping that thing in a pocket.

As for other snubbies, I recently picked up an Armscor M206. Pretty cool gun, especially for the price.

Edited by Jstrange
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Messer said:

A large & small view of snubby revolvers.

A S&W 24-3 3" 44 Spec. & a Colt Detective Special...

24-DS.JPG

That Model 24 is cool. I remember when Skeeter Skelton got hi readers to lobby Smith & Wesson to re introduce that model and then the 624. Is that a Lew Horton Model 24? I recall they were distributing some exclusive short 44s. I was too broke to get one back then.

• Like 2

Yes G26 - it's one of the Lew Horton special run of 3" model 24's. 

I used to read Shooting Times just to read Skeeter's articles - then bought his books.  A truly great story teller!

It's a lot of fun to shoot - and very accurate. I enjoy working pieces of art, and this fits that description well.  :D

Happy Independence Day to all,

Bob S.

Edited by Messer
  • Like 2

I have a big collection of Smith & Wesoon snubbies.  I keep adding to it.  Last week I picked up a used mint 637 for $299.  I shot it today and it's great.   I highly recommend this book to people who love snub-nosed revolvers:

lovette.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/7/2018 at 5:36 AM, norton said:

Sometimes big boys want to be snubbies too. 

Smith Wesson 629.PNG

That's nice. Do you put many full house loads through it? I ask because I usually fire full power 357 in my SP101, I just limit it to about 25 per range session.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, G26S239 said:

That's nice. Do you put many full house loads through it? I ask because I usually fire full power 357 in my SP101, I just limit it to about 25 per range session.

No, I usually shoot .44 special-my reloads-I will occasionally shoot down loaded .44 mags.  I have a set of Hogue rubber grips for it when I shoot .44 mag.  It is a handful. 

• Like 2

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 5:26 PM, G19 DB said:

Got a 638 that is a very snappy 38 to shoot.  It weighs about 15oz empty.   Usually load it with full wadcutters.

I  have an older model 38 airweight and I used to shoot only wadcutters in it with the skinny j-frame service grips and I didn't want to put rubber grips on it and make the gun  more bulky because with the skinny grips it's perfect for pocket carry and then I got a Tyler T-grip adaptor and tried some of the Underwood hardcast 150 grain wadcutters and those ar quite manageable and are not Plus+P but supposedly they do 850 fps out of the short barrel.

With your factory rubber boot grips, which add an ounce to the weight, the underwood wad cutters shouldn't be a problem. I really don't understand how anyone could buy a 15 ounce 357 magnum airweight and expect to be able to control the gun for repeat shots and to not flinch in anticipation of the truly PAINFUL recoil.  I tried the 158 grain LSWCHP "FBI Load" in mine and was only able to fire one shot and had the good sense not to fire another. Those loads seem mild in my 6 inch Model 28 Highway Patrolman which weighs 44 ounces but firing the same load in a 14 ounce gun is like hitting your hand with a hammer on purpose.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/products/38-special-150-grain-lead-wadcutter?variant=7865929171001

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

I  have an older model 38 airweight and I used to shoot only wadcutters in it with the skinny j-frame service grips and I didn't want to put rubber grips on it and make the gun  more bulky because with the skinny grips it's perfect for pocket carry and then I got a Tyler T-grip adaptor and tried some of the Underwood hardcast 150 grain wadcutters and those ar quite manageable and are not Plus+P but supposedly they do 850 fps out of the short barrel.

With your factory rubber boot grips, which add an ounce to the weight, the underwood wad cutters shouldn't be a problem. I really don't understand how anyone could buy a 15 ounce 357 magnum airweight and expect to be able to control the gun for repeat shots and to not flinch in anticipation of the truly PAINFUL recoil.  I tried the 158 grain LSWCHP "FBI Load" in mine and was only able to fire one shot and had the good sense not to fire another. Those loads seem mild in my 6 inch Model 28 Highway Patrolman which weighs 44 ounces but firing the same load in a 14 ounce gun is like hitting your hand with a hammer on purpose.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/products/38-special-150-grain-lead-wadcutter?variant=7865929171001

I added hogue grips to it recently which greatly improve the handling and controllability.  I'm with you on the 15oz 357's.   I've taken some bark off of my knuckles with this w/ heavy 38's, no way would I shoot that in 357 (well, maybe once  :D).

638.png

• Like 2

Local shop had an older pre-lock 640 in when I went in there this afternoon. It looked well taken care of. It was very tempting. 

I like the idea of an all steel jframe with a full grip. It would make a nice a belt gun.  I would still load it with .38+P’s though.  

I shot 5 rounds of 125g .357 magnum through a 640 once, and I will never do it again. Gold Dot +P short barrel suits me just fine.