Not Sure Where to Post This

Moshe

The religious section doesn't get a lot of traffic.   But, I know, there are people here in the Houston/Woodland area.  My son, who is more interested in Messianic Judaism, for the 20 percent I gave him.  There is apparently a synagogue in the Woodlands called Bat-Tzion.  My wife wants to go to her church this Shabbat, because of sickness and a deluge of water has kept us gone for awhile.  I like the idea of Bat-Tzion, because of a feeling of kinship with people of similar Jewish background, however, they accept goyim too apparently.  But, they have Hebrew classes to read the Torah in the original language, which appeals to me greatly.  I am hoping it fills a hole inside of myself, like I am separated from my people.  There are a few differences between myself and the Messianic, for instance they are still looking for Elijah.  I understand that, as that is a tradition on the Satyr.  But, as I read the Torah, Elijah was taken up to heaven in a firey chariot.  But, tradition is to set an extra place for him.  It is different, but not a salvation issue.  I don't agree with everything in my wife's church either.  They view themselves as pacifists.  I am not.  Obviously, neither is my son, who wants a career in the military,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tous said:

Satisfy your soul, amigo.

Whether it is done through ritual or kinship, contemplation or faith, no one else can do it for you.

Best wishes.

I’ll go with tous.  But you may need to go to both for a while until you settle on one.  Pushing for a quick answer can really screw you up.  Take your time.  You will learn from both. 

My grandfather always said that no matter where you went, G_d would teach you something worthwhile.  One time he went to one, and when he came home, he said nothing.  When I asked him what he had learned, he gave a long sigh, looked me in the eye and said, “Not to go back.”  

It sounds like your choices are better than that, so take your time.  That’s why He counsels patience so much in Proverbs.  

Hawk 

ETA  And He may lead you to another you have not yet encountered.  

Edited by Brown Hawk
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Moshe said:

I don't agree with everything in my wife's church either.  They view themselves as pacifists.  I am not.  Obviously, neither is my son, who wants a career in the military,

I spent time in the Army and NG and I was a Christian, and I am not a pacifist. I got questions about that from some of the soldiers, who saw a conflict there.

Soldiers are needed in any society, just like cops are; and it is a job, just like any other job. As for me, I never saw a conflict between faith and the Army.

That is my two cents anyway.

Edited by Suspect Unknown
  • Like 2

I don't either.  I had an argument with a Jehova's Witness I knew before I retired.  He thought it was wrong to shoot someone.  I told him to turn in his firearm, and find a job in the government where that would not be a possibility.  When you carry a firearm as a LEO/FLEO, you a responsibility to protect citizens against great bodily harm or death.  When you are in the military you have to fight to defend your country. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm not in the area and can't speak to that particular congregation.

As a general rule for deciding between congregations, my key factor is which congregation teaches the Word most faithfully.  People allow all kinds of factors to influence their attendance decisions from worthwhile (youth ministry for the kids, bible studies, service projects, etc.) to not so worthwhile (my friend goes there, I've always gone there, I like the color of the carpet, etc).  But, in the end, how important are any of those, if the Word isn't being taught clearly & faithfully?

As an aside, your post did raise my eyebrows a couple times.

1) What do you mean "they accept goyim too apparently"?  Do you mean, too "readily"?  And, if so, what's wrong with those of us from "the nations"?  :(  Are we not welcome there?  The TaNak is chock full of hints that the plan all along is to bring in the nations.  Yeshua, Shimon Cephas, Sha'ul of Tarsus and all those other guys at the beginning were pretty open to the gentiles.  Maybe I'm just misunderstanding your point in that sentence. 

2) Still waiting for Elijah?  That seems odd of them.  I'm pretty sure Yeshua clarified that point during his earthly ministry (Matthew 11:14) and told us exactly who the Eliyahu to come was and that he already had arrived (even if John himself didn't realize that he was the one).

• Like 1

When my future wife and I were preparing to be married, her Catholic religion had a stipulation that "we" must go through a marriage course.  I went, even though I was a Protestant in my heart, but because she was a part of my heart also.

What I learned from that course had nothing to do with marriage, but all centered on the precepts of the Catholic religion and supporting the church.  At the end of the course, I realized that it had been foolish of me to expect to learn anything about marriage from men and women that weren't permitted to be married.  Their relationship with God wasn't the same as a relationship between a married couple as far as I was concerned.

Then, after the "course", I was required to talk to a Priest because of  ours being a "mixed marriage".  I talked with the Priest about our relationship and how I had no problem with her remaining Catholic.  I, on the other hand, would feel as if I were a hypocrite to change my religion simply to please the church, since it was something I wasn't prepared to do on my own.  

I told him I didn't believe in original sin, and I didn't believe in a person being in a position considered to be above me and more closely associated with God.  I told him that NOBODY stood between me and God.

As we were parting, he said to me, "Just between us, I'm not sure that Luther wasn't right".  I believe in God, I have more trouble believing in churches.  Most simply tell me that their church is the only "right" one, and all the other are wrong.  I heard this from four different "churches".

Eventually, we married in The South in 1959.  She was told that she couldn't be married in the church since I was not Catholic.  Besides, there were "Banns" to be posted for a couple of weeks and other impediments.  He said it couldn't be done!  My wife to be told him that we had taken the "marriage course" already and talked with her Priest also.  Then, I told the priest that we were going to be married by the end of the following day, whether he did it, or a Justice of the Piece for S.C.  He told me to wait while he made some phone calls.  For some reason, he said later that the Bishop said because we had the marriage course, we could "short circuit" the protocol and be married by a Priest, but not at the altar.  My wife to be, accepted this and we were married. 

My point is, that I learned though this experience, that my problem with churches is still valid and that they are based more on controlling people, than preaching the word of God. I still have my belief, but in God, not in churches.  I am including many Protestant churches I have attended also in this statement.

Edited by janice6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Moshe said:

I understand that.  I am not giving up Yeshua either way.  I was just hoping someone had some experience with them, so I know what to expect. 

Well, earlier on, I got transferred around a lot.  I found the slow and steady worked out best.  Not Jewish, so I can’t help much on that part.  

Hawk 

11 hours ago, Maccabeus said:

I'm not in the area and can't speak to that particular congregation.

As a general rule for deciding between congregations, my key factor is which congregation teaches the Word most faithfully.  People allow all kinds of factors to influence their attendance decisions from worthwhile (youth ministry for the kids, bible studies, service projects, etc.) to not so worthwhile (my friend goes there, I've always gone there, I like the color of the carpet, etc).  But, in the end, how important are any of those, if the Word isn't being taught clearly & faithfully?

As an aside, your post did raise my eyebrows a couple times.

1) What do you mean "they accept goyim too apparently"?  Do you mean, too "readily"?  And, if so, what's wrong with those of us from "the nations"?  :(  Are we not welcome there?  The TaNak is chock full of hints that the plan all along is to bring in the nations.  Yeshua, Shimon Cephas, Sha'ul of Tarsus and all those other guys at the beginning were pretty open to the gentiles.  Maybe I'm just misunderstanding your point in that sentence. 

2) Still waiting for Elijah?  That seems odd of them.  I'm pretty sure Yeshua clarified that point during his earthly ministry (Matthew 11:14) and told us exactly who the Eliyahu to come was and that he already had arrived (even if John himself didn't realize that he was the one).

Some are that way.  That is why I look to make sure they do.  I don't think my wife's one percent would qualify, if they were exclusionary.  Some places are.  So, I make sure they accept everybody, or it could be problematic.

Being "in between" can be a lonely journey at times.  I come at this from a bit of a different direction than you (barring some extraordinary evidence appearing, I am not Jewish), but I still find myself at much the same awkward, in between position.

I_Assure_You_Were_Monotheists.jpg.87f0f257820e1bac7990e0e92aa883a3.jpg

I'm not from the area, and I've no experience with this location to know their character.  I appreciate their willingness to say that Jewish people shouldn't stop being Jewish.  I'm not so down with them saying that gentiles should be following the Law in its entirety as opposed to moral laws that are obviously reflected in it (Paul didn't add "for now" after advising them on it.).

But I don't think there is a religious organization or person on the planet who is entirely right.  Wherever you go, it's possible to pour into each others' lives even if people don't see eye to eye.  I've learned to value places that give me opportunities to serve over places that feel right, but it is really good to have somewhere you feel at home. 

I hope you can find a place where you can at least feel at home and do good things.