Boots...what is the conventional wisdom here

ARP

Approximately 2+ years ago I bought what I thought was a good solid pair of boots for work, Danner Mountain Light II. The purpose for buying them was that they were rebuildable. I am at that point. I sent them in to Danner to be "recrafted". Cost initially looked like $130 for a resole, glad to pay that. Filled out the paper work, shipped them out and today they gave me the bad news. Repair will be $220 as the boots are in far worse shape than what I thought they were. Sounds like they will need a complete rebuild to the tune of  $220. Basically the top leather is good and everything underneath is shot. Can't say they did not serve me well, they are great for winter, a bit too heavy for summer......keep that statement in mind.

I first saw these boots in the Bond movie Spectre, worn in the snow scenes. Found them perhaps a year or so later for a decent price, I think I paid about $250ish, fool retail was like $349. I am looking at something different, looking at Chippewa classic 6" Trooper in black, little over $200 and Red Wing Beckman in black, also a 6" boot, I think $350 range.

I'm thinking here that having 2 pair of boots for work might be the best way to go, Danner for winter sloppy weather and something else for not so sloppy.

Anyone with experience with Chippewa or Red Wings?

39 minutes ago, Hauptmann6 said:

Chippewa are ok. I wear them now as they are the only company that makes a True EEEE width. I wore Red Wings for years, they are the better boot/shoe. Chippewa I get a little over a year on their $200 boot. I got 3+ on redwings of the same price

I would probably have to travel about 60 miles to get a look at Chippewa, IF they had the size and style on hand. Was reading reviews....the version I am interested in, a few of the reviews stated they had problems with the construction and materials. Sent back to factory and was told they were not "work boots" and were suited for a night out on the town. Huh?

I guess another thing I question now is how valuable is the whole rebuild service, further ahead to just buy new and start over? Unsure if Red Wing or Chippewa are rebuildable or not. I am at that age where price on things that are important to me means little. At the end of a long day when I take my boots off and my feet don't hurt the next morning, hard to put a price on that. Company provides us $65 on the company shoe that is absolute garbage. Don't want to be hobbled by junk shoes.

I used to wear Redwings exclusively, but recently made the switch to Thorogood.  Redwings have always taken a while to break in, but I think after a year, I was more than patient.  These Thorogoods feel as if they've been broken in as soon as you put them on.

As far as the confusion over work boots, and "night on the town" boots, It's worth mentioning that it's become fashionable for men that aren't blue collar to give the appearance that they are, indeed blue collar, and that goes all the way down to the boots, and boot makers are paying attention.  There are a lot of dress boots out there that look like work boots.

I myself find the fashion trend just a little insulting, but everyone is free to do as they please, of course.  I've earned my callouses and scars honestly, and my hands show the way I've lived.  My boots eventually just wear out and I replace 'em.

• Like 2

i`ve had a pair of redwing 10" insulated logger boots for probably 15+ years now.

i wore them almost everyday in winter for probably 5-7 years and they are still in great shape.

i wear 5.11 ATAC shields normally now,but the redwings only get worn now if i`m gonna be out in a field in the cold only because they are so friggin heavy.

i would buy redwings again in a heartbeat if the ones i have now ever wear out.

i have heard really good things about Carhartt rugged flex boots and may even go for a pair of those for winter boots.

Well, for clarification sake, my boots need to look appropriate with the slacks shirt and tie I wear to work. My profession is not quite blue collar, but my feet can take a beating. Sometimes I have long walks to get a meal or to hotel. I am on all types of surfaces, always the chance of dropping a piece of luggage on my feet, all sorts of weather and uneven surfaces, etc. So the RedWing Beckman seems to be the boot I am looking for. Looks like a dress boot, wears like a work boot.

Called the local RW store with the hopes of being able to try on a Beckman or Iron Ranger as they are built on the same last. The closest boot in stock was about 500+ miles away. Looks like trying on and ordering is not an option. I just ordered the Beckman from Amazon. Guess it will be here in a week.

If you don't have to have a boot, try the Red Wing oxford shoes. I wore a model they no longer make (AFAIK) for 15 years till I changed professions. They were GREAT. Comfortable to stand in all day, and they were shoes. Very comfortable to drive in. They were my main footwear.

I have shelves full of top-of-the-line boots (work buys them for me),  all with steel toes, some with metatarsal guards, some with special high-voltage specs.  They get worn when required.

Here's my goofy reply:  Walmart "tac-something" (I forget the name - green box) (because I'm Tactical) $29 steel toe boots.

When I was going back to work after being sick,  I was worried my legs couldn't handle climbing uber-stairs and miles/day in my mega-boots.  They all weigh a ton.  Like Frankenstein.

I got these walmart boots and they fit like tennis shoes and are very lightweight.  I figured if they lasted a couple months until I got my mojo back,  it would be worth the $30.

It's been two years and I still wear them 95% of the time;  Industrial/construction environments.  Steel mills.  Cement plants.

They are pretty beat up now and will soon be replaced with the exact same ones I've already bought.

(As with everything I've ever bought and loved,  when you go to replace them,  they are no longer made.  I like these boots so much that I have five extra pairs, still in the boxes, waiting in the wings.)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Men-s-Force-Steel-Toe-8-Tactical-Boot/34517951

Ha!  It's no longer available because I bought them all!!

Actually,  they are still in the stores.  I bought another pair two weeks ago.  Because the price was dropped way low.  Probably because they are being discontinued.

I used to work for a general contractor  and we did a lot of remodels som of which required demolition and we did a lot of concrete forming, pouring and rebar. A lot of the wrk we did was heavy construction but some of the remodels were expensive homes and we needed to work indoors on these jobs installing appliances and plumbing and lighting fixtures.

So for some of the work I needed steel toed boots but for indoor work I needed boots with white soles that wouldn't scuff the floors iv I was crawling under a sink in a kitchen installing a garbage disposal. I was able to find boots like this for not much money at K mart or Payless and the shoes lasted about a year and then I'd get a new pair.

But I always wanted to get a pair of Red wings because so many guys I worked with had them a swore by them. I had that job up until 1998 and I don't know how much a pair of red wings cost back then but I think it was around 100 dollars a pair.  I know 100 dollars back then was worth more than 100 dollars now, but $300 dollars for a pair of work boots seems unreasonable to me and $220 just for a repair is just crazy,  I know a good shoemaker who would do a good job for a lot less,

• Like 1

And, from the conventional wisdom I gleaned, from one of these sites, I bought "Superfeet" insoles, because they were the unanimous winner.

And they were right.  They are magnificent!  I even got some for my skates.

So...  I have $60 insoles in my $30 walmart boots.

Not sure how that works.

• Like 1

Best boots is a tough subject.

I have tried more brands and types of boots that I can count.  It doesn't matter if I paid $50 or $500, they all failed to either keep my feet from becoming so out of sort that I can't walk or would just fall apart. Well, all except the Wolverine Wellingtons. Those are the only ones that I can wear all day and also last more than a few months.

The thing about boots is that what works for me probably won't work for you. The other side of that is that what works for you actually suck for me.  Many of the guys I worked with swear by Redwing boots. I could not make half a day wearing them.

One size never fits all!

On a side note, the place I worked last required steel toe boots. I walked into the safety managers office to discuss the safety  meeting I had to put on at one of our remote locations. Mike looked at my new boots and asked if they were steel toe boots. I said that I would answer that question when he told me why my toes were more important than the rest of my foot!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

I used to work for a general contractor  and we did a lot of remodels som of which required demolition and we did a lot of concrete forming, pouring and rebar. A lot of the wrk we did was heavy construction but some of the remodels were expensive homes and we needed to work indoors on these jobs installing appliances and plumbing and lighting fixtures.

So for some of the work I needed steel toed boots but for indoor work I needed boots with white soles that wouldn't scuff the floors iv I was crawling under a sink in a kitchen installing a garbage disposal. I was able to find boots like this for not much money at K mart or Payless and the shoes lasted about a year and then I'd get a new pair.

But I always wanted to get a pair of Red wings because so many guys I worked with had them a swore by them. I had that job up until 1998 and I don't know how much a pair of red wings cost back then but I think it was around 100 dollars a pair.  I know 100 dollars back then was worth more than 100 dollars now, but $300 dollars for a pair of work boots seems unreasonable to me and $220 just for a repair is just crazy,  I know a good shoemaker who would do a good job for a lot less,

I think so too, replacement cost is $350 for the exact same boot. The boots in question are gortex lined. The lining needs replaced, the sole needs replaced, the midsole needs replaced, the heel counters are shot, shank is shot too. So the only part of the boot that will be original is the top leather. I do not know of anyone who has the expertise to rebuild those boots or the parts to do the job or do they really know what needs done and how to properly do the job. This is not as simple as removing the old sole and sewing on a new one. A bit more involved.

13 hours ago, ARP said:

Well, for clarification sake, my boots need to look appropriate with the slacks shirt and tie I wear to work. My profession is not quite blue collar, but my feet can take a beating. Sometimes I have long walks to get a meal or to hotel. I am on all types of surfaces, always the chance of dropping a piece of luggage on my feet, all sorts of weather and uneven surfaces, etc. So the RedWing Beckman seems to be the boot I am looking for. Looks like a dress boot, wears like a work boot.

I'm sorry to break it to you, brother, but those Beckmans are dress boots, they are nothing at all like work boots, they won't wear like work boots, and they definitely aren't made for long walks.  You're going to make yourself miserable.  

If I might make a suggestion, you might want to look at Clark Desert Boots with a nice insert.  They're a lot more stylish for a lot less money, and they wear pretty well from what I understand.  

I'm looking at something like that myself, as a matter of fact.

I just hate to see a guy go through the blisters and bleeding just for the sake of appearance, when another more comfortable, stylish shoe might better serve the need.

Look,.....I've been battling neuropathy in my feet for years, but I require a real work boot at least 25% of the time, so my search has been diligent.  But I can tell you, there's a vast difference between work boots and fashion boots.  If style is your thing, just call it what it is, and buy something comfortable and appropriate for you chosen style of dress.  Those "Classic" redwings are a marketing ploy, and a lot of people are taking the bait, and those people are fools.  They're awful.  Get something you can live with.

On 12/11/2018 at 10:55 PM, ARP said:

Approximately 2+ years ago I bought what I thought was a good solid pair of boots for work, Danner Mountain Light II. The purpose for buying them was that they were rebuildable. I am at that point. I sent them in to Danner to be "recrafted". Cost initially looked like $130 for a resole, glad to pay that. Filled out the paper work, shipped them out and today they gave me the bad news. Repair will be $220 as the boots are in far worse shape than what I thought they were. Sounds like they will need a complete rebuild to the tune of  $220. Basically the top leather is good and everything underneath is shot. Can't say they did not serve me well, they are great for winter, a bit too heavy for summer......keep that statement in mind.

I first saw these boots in the Bond movie Spectre, worn in the snow scenes. Found them perhaps a year or so later for a decent price, I think I paid about $250ish, fool retail was like $349. I am looking at something different, looking at Chippewa classic 6" Trooper in black, little over $200 and Red Wing Beckman in black, also a 6" boot, I think $350 range.

I'm thinking here that having 2 pair of boots for work might be the best way to go, Danner for winter sloppy weather and something else for not so sloppy.

Honestly - I don't think I'd pay $220 to resole a $350 boot.  I'd just replace the entire boot.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

I have a theory that online marketplaces have things like that on their websites to use for testing things (new payment methods, etc).  No way anyone would ever actually buy that.

Could be when they went live they wanted to test it before putting anything anyone would buy on it.  So they put a pair of $50 boots on the site for $880, knowing nobody would buy them but they could use them to test the eCommerce portion.

11 hours ago, jame said:

I'm sorry to break it to you, brother, but those Beckmans are dress boots, they are nothing at all like work boots, they won't wear like work boots, and they definitely aren't made for long walks.  You're going to make yourself miserable.  

If I might make a suggestion, you might want to look at Clark Desert Boots with a nice insert.  They're a lot more stylish for a lot less money, and they wear pretty well from what I understand.  

I'm looking at something like that myself, as a matter of fact.

I just hate to see a guy go through the blisters and bleeding just for the sake of appearance, when another more comfortable, stylish shoe might better serve the need.

Look,.....I've been battling neuropathy in my feet for years, but I require a real work boot at least 25% of the time, so my search has been diligent.  But I can tell you, there's a vast difference between work boots and fashion boots.  If style is your thing, just call it what it is, and buy something comfortable and appropriate for you chosen style of dress.  Those "Classic" redwings are a marketing ploy, and a lot of people are taking the bait, and those people are fools.  They're awful.  Get something you can live with.

Umm, you must be confused. I own 2 pair of Clark boots, one pair is the sueded classic desert boot and one pair is a leather 6" high lace up boot. Both of those are fashion boots, the suede is a soft rubber gum soled chukka boot that is very comfortable to wear and the other is a soft leather lace up with leather interior that are not real comfortable and kinda unsupportive flimsy. Either of those shoes are not suited for my work environment. I tried the 6" lace ups for work, I wore them about 3 months on and off this summer....they would not last a 6 month stretch for me. The suedes, first time they got diesel spilled on them they would be done. 

The Danner boots? They looked okay with my company required work attire and did a good job of protecting my feet. If the Clarks lace ups were of the construction of the Beckmans, they might be a winner. Another company requirement is the soles must be slip resistant.....rubber. I have plenty of "opportunity" to step into spilled diesel fuel, ice slush, packed snow, etc., so a leather soled boot is out. I do have a pair of Justin Ropers that I wear for work with a rubber sole.

The Beckmans are basically the same as the Iron Ranger boot, but with a Vibram rubber lugged sole vs a smooth sole. The upper leather is stiffer, thick, polishable leather and breaks in and forms to your foot. Takes about 40 hours of wear to break in. Interior is leather lined, have good arch support and the foot bed is a cork that works like low tech memory foam. Sort of like Birkenstocks.  I would venture to guess your neuropathy has to do more with the foot beds or an underlying medical condition or deficiency. 

Once the Red Wings arrive, I should be able to give them a thumbs up or down without fully owning them.

I needed a new pair of insulated boots for cold weather and went into the local shoe store looking.  I came out pleased, they just happened to have one pair left and they were in my size.  Small local store and the guy said if your interested I make you a good deal since this is the last pair.  Sticker on the box was $260.00 and he said half price if your interested, now it's hard to turn down that deal so I came home with new boots.  Timberland PRO Men's 8", feel quite comfortable, hoping they will last a few years.

https://www.amazon.com/Timberland-PRO-Boondock-Comp-Toe-Waterproof/dp/B01HD9BFAO/ref=pd_sim_309_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01HD9BFAO&pd_rd_r=28f0cb3d-ff17-11e8-840a-13e19cce6626&pd_rd_w=MG2PO&pd_rd_wg=Cyfvb&pf_rd_p=18bb0b78-4200-49b9-ac91-f141d61a1780&pf_rd_r=TB53M1JH1J5AA2P7FKCM&refRID=TB53M1JH1J5AA2P7FKCM

On 12/11/2018 at 10:55 PM, ARP said:

I have the same pair.  I also have the original RATs.  The soles on the RATs last right at a year.  I've re-soled them twice now, each time the heal counters were broken and the liner was leaking the second time.  They are now relegated to yard and house work.

The Mountain Light II's have held up FAR better and I've not needed a re-sole yet.  The heel counters have not broke and they aren't waterproof so no liner to replace.  I'll probably re-sole them at least once.

The only boots that I own that haven't worn out in a year are my Redwing Pecos.  As a matter of fact they show almost no tread wear in 2 years of roofing.  The texture of the tread has smoothed out a bit but the tread is full intact.  The leather only gets better with age.  The downside is I'd never use these boots for any actual hiking as pull on boots by their nature allow the heel to slip.  So great for a day of work not so good for the trail.

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:55 PM, ARP said:

I always hated Danner's.  They were the standard issue boots in the USBP.  The soles were known for splitting and getting a bruise on the bottom of your feet.  I went the cheaper better, route with military boots.  Once I wore the tread smooth pounding ground, I would toss them and buy another pair.  I lost count in those five years how many USGI treads I wore smooth, but it was a lot.