Belly full of Texas red

Al Czervik

I'm sure it's tasty and I love chili peppers and cook chili's with just about everything but basically Texas Red, which I've tried, is just boiled chunks of beef with chili's, so technically Texas red IS "Chili con Carne" which means chili with meat. But I prefer actual Chili. I've been to many chili cook-offs and have tasted some really great chili. I've also made it from scratch, browning the meat with bacon, using Cumin, a touch of Brown sugar, fresh tomato's, chili's, sweet onions, and sage and a little oregano from the garden. And slow cooking is the key to success, and re-heating it the next day makes it even better.

If I don't have the time or the resources to make it from scratch I'll make it from a mix Carroll Shelby's is not bad, Wick Fowler's 2 alarm chili is good, but cheap-azz French's Chili-o is pretty decent as a seasoning mix. fresh chili's are the key ingredient an diced tomato's are preferable to tomato sauce.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NWPA said:

I'm with you, jmohme.  And too how can the peppers be dried and fresh at the same time.

Although it does sound good.

Dried chiles should be pliable, not brittle, is what the author is trying to say.

10 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

I'm sure it's tasty and I love chili peppers and cook chili's with just about everything but basically Texas Red, which I've tried, is just boiled chunks of beef with chili's, so technically Texas red IS "Chili con Carne" which means chili with meat. But I prefer actual Chili. I've been to many chili cook-offs and have tasted some really great chili. I've also made it from scratch, browning the meat with bacon, using Cumin, a touch of Brown sugar, fresh tomato's, chili's, sweet onions, and sage and a little oregano from the garden. And slow cooking is the key to success, and re-heating it the next day makes it even better.

If I don't have the time or the resources to make it from scratch I'll make it from a mix Carroll Shelby's is not bad, Wick Fowler's 2 alarm chili is good, but cheap-azz French's Chili-o is pretty decent as a seasoning mix. fresh chili's are the key ingredient an diced tomato's are preferable to tomato sauce.

I used the term Texas Red because it is very specific...cubed beef (generally chuck), reconstituted dried chiles (not powder, and this makes a huge difference), and a few other things (onion, garlic, stock, vinegar, brown sugar, a little masa, and a touch of cumin).  There are no beans nor tomatoes in Texas Red.  Chile con carne (which should be the same thing) is adulterated in all kinds of ways.    

7 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

What's 'Instant Pot'?

Asking for a friend.

It is some kinda lectric pressure cooker that GG thrust upon the GT community, and they work pretty well.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

What's 'Instant Pot'?

Asking for a friend.

Cooks a bit faster and makes food quite tender. The frau bought one (because everyone else bought one) and has used it a few times.

One neat thing is that you can put frozen food in and get tender tasty stuff out with little to no effort. Like a modern chili pot, well not really but sort of.