When you want to absolutely kill something from a mile away,,, quietly

pipedreams

That's a Victrix Armaments Corvus 50 BMG. Chicky-Micky 30 pounds without the can, but with bolt action bullshit, made in Italy.

Proper 50 BMG. Semi auto, made in the US... Serbu BFG-50A. Run it over with your Humvee and it still holds zero.

1000?cb=20171210222554

Edited by crockett
  • Like 7

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 1:40 PM, Cougar_ml said:

so how big of a subsonic bullet can you launch in a 50bmg?  Seems to me anything quieter than the supersonic crack of the bullet is just wasted effort.

t below 1100 fps I'm not sure if a lighter of a heavier bullet would require more holdover at a 1 mile distance. Heavier bullets tend to drop more but Heavier bullets also have greater sectional density and ballistic coefficient which helps to retain velocity.

Either way that gun looks like a crew served weapon to me. Maybe the sniper carries one end and the spotter carries the other.

Edited by Borg warner

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 12:37 PM, windowasher said:

Shooting at a target a mile away, who cares about the report?  The bullet will reach the target first

Then no need for the suppressor.  Also, this is not exactly a shoulder fired rifle. :)

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 11:49 AM, Dog Soldier said:

My Sharps Gemmer .45-110-530  may be slow covering one mile but it is carrying a "Big" pay load. A 530 grs of soft lead pushed along with 100 grs 1 1/2F Swiss Powder. 

IMG_0462.thumb.JPG.85a10ab34595bd11622facbc6b250140.JPG:cowboy2:

Getting "Quigley Down Under" with it, :)

• Like 2

Good point. The .45-110-530 is the caliber that the "Quigley", fiction was based. Sharp's offered the .45-110 before closing down. It was the largest caliber manufactured by Sharps. The .50-120 and others were offered by Winchester etc. The Buffalo were gone by 1885. Many of these rifles were sold in Africa. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Dog Soldier said:

I find Putin's interest in small arms interesting. He is often seen with small arms. Most modern American Presidents would not appear with a scoped rifle. They fear the  ravenous news media and CNN. Hey, Teddy Roosevelt you were the last. 

Well, Putin likes to put on a show of power.  His primary means of assassination is chemical warfare poison.  Very cold war, but then again Putin is.

5 hours ago, Dog Soldier said:

I find Putin's interest in small arms interesting. He is often seen with small arms. Most modern American Presidents would not appear with a scoped rifle. They fear the  ravenous news media and CNN. Hey, Teddy Roosevelt you were the last. 

I saw an article the other day where the Russian's are developing a lot of new small arms and thinking about replacing their Makarov sidearm. 

https://www.rt.com/russia/448153-russia-new-pistol-udav-boa/

• Like 2

On 1/10/2019 at 10:26 AM, Dog Soldier said:

Our Presidents have their hand on the Nuclear switch as well. I would like to see an American President reach out to the millions of gun owners who are voters. 

No scope but..google is your friend. George Dubya and President Obama

f27.jpg

Edited by usnret
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Dog Soldier said:

Yes, Obama handling that shotgun was the laugh of the year. That would rank up their with International Embarrassment. :shame:

I find Putin's interest in small arms interesting. He is often seen with small arms. Most modern American Presidents would not appear with a scoped rifle. They fear the  ravenous news media and CNN. Hey, Teddy Roosevelt you were the last

Our Presidents have their hand on the Nuclear switch as well. I would like to see an American President reach out to the millions of gun owners who are voters

Waiting to see trump with any gun in his hand..ooops, I guess there is one..

carter.nocrop.w536.h2147483647.2x.jpg

clinton.nocrop.w536.h2147483647.jpg

trump-gun-getty.jpg

Edited by usnret