Dennis Quaid sees the light...

TBO

LOS ANGELES – Dennis Quaid hopes that by sharing his own past struggles with drug addiction and the steps he took to get healthy in his later years, will ultimately help others who are in similar situations.

Speaking to Fox News ahead of his performance with his band the Sharks at the Village Studios on Tuesday, Quaid explained why he’s been so candid about his personal life.

“In the end, I think it’s good for other people, who might be going through the same thing, to hear [my story],” he told us. "It’s always a good thing to hear.”

“You get so attached to all that stuff that you think you can’t make it through the world with and it only holds you back, and I’m an example of that,” he continued, noting that “Life is beautiful afterwards.”

DENNIS QUAID REVEALS THAT HE USED TO USE 2 GRAMS OF COCAINE EVERY DAY BEFORE GETTING CLEAN 

“I liked coke. I liked it to go out,” he told the outlet. “I had one of those white-light experiences where I saw myself being dead and losing everything I had worked for my whole life. So I put myself in rehab.”

For 10 years the star lived the clean and sober life before allowing himself to reintroduce alcohol to his world. “I started drinking again because alcohol was never my problem,” he said. “I never liked the feeling of being drunk.”

Aside from detailing his personal journey with fans, Quaid is also sharing his first-ever studio album, “Out Of The Box.”

“It took us a long time to rehearse, I guess, but it’s more than that,” the actor explained of why the band decided to release a record after creating music for almost two decades together.

“We’ve been together for 18 years and we’ve been playing. We’ve recorded before to sell music at shows, but never really made a real, real record.”

Quaid went on to share that after playing golf with close pal, T Bone Burnett, two years ago that that’s when the actor decided he wanted to make a true album.

“This was after the Sharks had taken a four-year hiatus, and to get back into it, I really wanted to make a real record,” he explained, crediting the album’s release to the right timing.

“It really kind of came together. We put down 25 tracks. 13 of them are on this record.”

As for what inspired the band’s debut album?

“The inspiration is really the reflection of our shows that we’ve played over the last 18 years, which is for everybody who comes and pays their money, for whatever reason, to have a good time,” the “Parent Trap” alum shared.

And when asked if he had any advice for his younger self, Quaid — who’s had a career that’s spanned over four decades — simply replied: “Relax.”

“Take it easy.”

Edited by TBO
  • Like 1

I am tired of mollycoddled celebrities prostrating themselves before the public as some sort of hero for -- being weak and self-absorbed.

Yeah, right before I stab that next dose of street heroin into my vein, I'm going to be really inspired by rich, pampered people pretending to be role models and victims.

:upeyes:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, tous said:

I am tired of mollycoddled celebrities prostrating themselves before the public as some sort of hero for -- being weak and self-absorbed.

Yeah, right before I stab that next dose of street heroin into my vein, I'm going to be really inspired by rich, pampered people pretending to be role models and victims.

:upeyes:

So.... if you u had a problem who in media would care? The dude did a admission, is that bad? And he earned it, not pampered. 

20 minutes ago, tous said:

So, being weak of character and impulsive is to be applauded because, by golly, he's an actor.

I can admire getting back to sobriety, but I can't respect drunks and drug addicts.

Reading the article, he isn’t asking or expecting applause, just telling his story.  Which is part of healing.  And like it or not, well known people do get a better hearing than John Doe.  Witness Betty Ford.  

If it helps somebody, it’s a good thing.  

Hawk 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, tous said:

So, being weak of character and impulsive is to be applauded because, by golly, he's an actor.

I can admire getting back to sobriety, but I can't respect drunks and drug addicts.

You being the perfect example of a model citizen and Christian that never makes mistakes, his message obviously was not for you. Respect from someone like you means jack ****.

2 hours ago, Moeman said:

Not many sign up to be an addict... genetic in most cases. Just like being fat.

His brother Randy has problems too, not with addiction but with mental instability having fled the country for Canada in 2015 believing that he was being pursued by assassins that had killed David Carradine and Heath Ledger, And both are pretty decent actors but quite often actors and actresses have difficulties functioning in the real world.

I liked Dennis Quaid's portrayal of Doc Holliday in the Wyatt Earp movie with Kevin Costner. The movie wasn't anywhere near as good as Tombstone and Val Kilmer's portrayal of Doc Holiday was more flamboyant but Quaid did a much better job orf portraying the actual historical figure of Dock Holliday< Randy Quaid played Lyndon Johnson in a made for TV movie and also gave a great performance in that role and it was also fun to see both brothers in the movie "The Longriders" co-starring with the Keach brothers and the Carradine brothers

1 hour ago, tous said:

I used to have the same view; and I still do to some extent.  

I had dinner last week with the VP of Recovery Centers of America.  We had dated right before I had met my ex-wife and I dumped her due to her addiction issues.  She was in the area to attend a conference so we met up and had a wonderful time.

She explained that some people are genetically predisposed to be addicts.  Their brains are wired differently.  And that wiring also determines what they are addicted to.  She said that while I could drink wine every day and stop and never touch it again no problem, she would have one glass and be drinking 3 bottles a day by the end of the week.

I disclosed to her that I tried marijuana a few times and never got into it.  Even tried crack once in California and didn't get it.  She said that's because I'm not an addict.  She said people predisposed to addiction run a very high risk of getting addicted to certain substances after just one or two uses.

I told her that I was a smoker and addicted to nicotine.  She said everyone gets addicted to nicotine, lol...  

So, she told me some pretty heart-breaking stories of people with bright futures that had plenty of self-discipline, but they happened to go to a party where the substance that they were most susceptible to was available.  One snort and their lives were ruined.

Just say no...

Seen many a waste of oxygen dealing with special needs foster kids. Attending yet another Termination of Parental Rights hearing on the 12th and 13th.

never seen a more worthless group of human beings, to use the term loosely 

I hope he gets better, glad he can afford full time individual care. But I got nothing for him.

• Like 1