Ever had a cursed day?

PNWguy

You know, a day in which everything is going wrong?  Nothing major, but bunches of odd little things going wrong?

I'm having one of those days...

It started this morning when I got chewed out at work for not updating an excel spread sheet on an investigation that me and my partner both missed.  

Woke up early to go pick up my new Ruger 10/22 from the FFL.  Got it home and discovered the bolt release isn't working.  Then I started feeling ill and called into work sick.  Spent some quality time in the bathroom and felt better so I started working up some reloads for my new G19 Gen 5 MOS.  Took it apart so I could plunk the new rounds.  Put it back together.

Sat down to watch some TV and grabbed the G19 to do some dry-firing and discovered the trigger isn't resetting most of the time the slide is racked.  WTF?  Took it apart and inspected it.  Looks perfect.  Looked online at other Gen 5 Glocks and everything looks perfect.  No idea what is going on.  Started a thread about it in the Glock forum here.

Then my gas stove started acting up.  It's 20 degrees here.  It's shut off three times since I started this thread and won't restart.  My TV was playing an episode of Suits on Amazon and it errored out a few minutes ago.

I decided to take a video of me trying to pull the trigger on my Glock and flipped out the little built-in stand thingy on the phone and it fell off.  Broke.  Used it maybe three times before.

I'm freaking afraid to move lest something else happen to me... 

Maybe once a year I have a day like that. The last time it was completed by an asshat trying to start some road rage. I turned around, drove straight back home, and literately went to bed early. After several problems throughout the day, the last thing I needed was a fight over nonsense or a crash. On those days it really seems to be best to stay at home and not touch anything but the remote for the TV (well that didn't work for you) or a book.

Tomorrow is a new day. I'd try to fix those things on the next day off with a clear head.

I read your Glock threat but have no clue why that issue showed up out for nowhere. I'd take it apart, clean everything, re-lube lightly, make sure that the trigger spring looks alright and is seated correctly, and assemble everything piece by piece. But that's just me. I hate having to send back a new firearm.

It sucks that your Glock isn't working right, knowing that you have been locking forward to shooting it.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, crockett said:

Maybe once a year I have a day like that. The last time it was completed by an asshat trying to start some road rage. I turned around, drove straight back home, and literately went to bed early. After several problems throughout the day, the last thing I needed was a fight over nonsense or a crash. On those days it really seems to be best to stay at home and not touch anything but the remote for the TV (well that didn't work for you) or a book.

Tomorrow is a new day. I'd try to fix those things on the next day off with a clear head.

I read your Glock threat but have no clue why that issue showed up out for nowhere. I'd take it apart, clean everything, re-lube lightly, make sure that the trigger spring looks alright and is seated correctly, and assemble everything piece by piece. But that's just me. I hate having to send back a new firearm.

It sucks that your Glock isn't working right, knowing that you have been locking forward to shooting it.

Got the Glock figured out.  It was totally my fault.  Of course.  Trigger bar wasn't installed as to hook the top of the trigger spring.  A little bit of internet searching revealed it's a pretty common mistake owners of Gen 5s make when re-assembling...

The amazing thing is that I took it to the range like that and it worked fine.  Might have explained my horrible groups...

Yeah, I'll go with that excuse...

But, the trigger does feel 10x better now that it's put together properly and polished.

• Like 1

We're stuck here today.  Waiting for the deluge to pass.  Most of the house is not feeling well, except for my son, fortunately.  I think he is going to freeze his tuchus off tonight with the mixture of cold and wet.  They don't allow them to wear the insulated rain jackets.  I would give him mine, but they would frown on that, also it is too big, as I got it large enough to wear armor underneath.  So, it is  hat, black gloves, olive green t-shirt, zip up shirt, pants, and desert boots,  Depending how long he is in this parade, I suspect he is going to be sick by the first day of the week.  But, he is their iconic poster child.  Principally because he looks like his mother, blonde and blue eyed.  That, and he is Johnny on the spot for JROTC.  The upper classmen have been dropping the ball enough, that the retired NCO, lost his mind and decided to see how far desks could fly with a good kick.  It just means more promotions for the poster kid.  Luckily, they don't know his lineage from me, or he would not be.  At least in this part of Texas.

But, to the gentlemen OP, having the boss chew you out for a mistake, or just for giggles, is normal.  If you are an Investigator, you will get it more.  More is expected of you.  My Senior, when I got on board, taught through brutality, and frankly, that is the way I learned everything.  Now, everything, I have noticed with the new breed in all spheres of enforcement is coddling and they develop and attitude, and don't perform.  I am glad I am gone.  Because, as one of the Senior guys, when they wanted me to show someone something, and they acted a fool, I would dress them down, the way I learned.  Then, I would be counseled by the boss, that "we don't do that anymore."  However, you still hold the bag when the screw off on the joint assignment.  It didn't used to be that way, when I was a team lead,  I had a group of guys under me, and I trained them hard, and the performed great, and could be left alone to do their work.  But, at the same time, when they performed well, I would take time, for us to hit a local restaurant and blow off some steam.  I hear some of them have moved up to middle and upper management.  Probably, because they had a good knowledge base, and were willing to perform, and had aspirations of more.

So, don't take it to heart when you get chewed by the boss.  I have had one's with military background with attitude, you have to break them to make them.  Two guys bore the brunt of that.  One wanted to be a screw off, the other wanted to challenge everything.  Not wise.  We all have crap days.  It has been a crap week for me.  Something always forcing me out of the house, where I would like to be, because this Saturnalia thing is making everyone nuts, and act  like a mechuga  Accidents, running around like a Yehu.  Then you go out and everyone is screwing something up, or being irritated with you, for not wanting to be part of that.   A couple more days and Hanukah is over.  Then Saturnalia, then the general New Year,  then they go back to not being schmucks all the time.

So, your boss is probably affected by this time of year.  It makes everyone around you pissy.  So, this too shall pass.  I am glad you got your pistol working, because that is probably the straw that broke the Camel's back in your day.

My Shiksha wife is irritated about spending money, more than I am.  She is also irritated with me being irritated with goyim, as she is one.  She tells me just try and blend in, and not embrace who you are, and people will give you less crap.  I wonder if other mixed couples go through that?  Hey you are light skinned, get rid of that afro and no one will know?  You are 40 percent, embrace the other 60?  You don't have to be in the minority, shave your beard, cut your hair, get rid of the icon I have above and not wear it.  So, getting hell from everyone this time of year, even in your own home-normal.  I wonder, if the water table wasn't so high, I should get an Ann Frank basement and hide there too?

We have our own SAD here, is living in one flood warning to the next.  You are covered in snow.  I understand how you feel, you are afraid to be happy lest you jump up and down and destabilize the bowling ball on the shelf above your head.  This is why I try to live content, but dare not be happy.  Happy, seems to always bring trouble.  Irritable, more.  Content, not so much.  Hang in there.  Once all these frustrating holidays are over with,  and people do all their returns, life goes back to normal, or what passes for it.

• Like 1