New "assault rifle" arrived...

PNWguy

Decided to buy a 10/22 after the libs in Seattle decided to classify them as assault rifles and added all sorts of new rules, fees, waiting periods, and other nonsense to make them feel better about their inability to deal with reality.

Got a Mica Copper edition off of CDNN that came with a scope, mounts, and sling for $219.  It arrived today so I put it together in anticipation of a rabbit hunt in Southern Idaho next week.

G1UmwPs0RT2g7M5iyGI1Hw.jpg.96a9c4c12ce672c694007f9af0561ee1.jpg

I really like the stock and it fits me perfectly.  Everything looked good, but when I locked the bolt back, it would not release.  I can put a loaded magazine in it and pull the bolt back and release it and it seems to function test OK.  But locking the bolt back means fiddling with the release and some unknown combination of shaking it and cussing to get it to eventually release.

Hoping it's just new rifle tightness and that when I get to take it to the range and put a bunch of rounds through it, it will start working OK.  Tried spraying some Rem Oil in it to loosen it up but it didn't help.

Oh well, bringing my Uberti Silver Boy with me anyway, and it always works.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mr. Black said:

I may not ever buy another gun in this shithole state ever again.  I can't wait to get out of here some day.  

Congrats on the 10/22 PNW.   It's one of my favorites.  

I was talking to my FFL about the new law when I picked up the rifle.  He's a sheriff's deputy and has been discussing the issue at length with the local county prosecutor.

His guess is that the law will stand up to the multiple legal challenges currently filed.

He said that is based on the fact that they patterned it after the New York SAFE act and that law has been upheld in federal court.

However, it has not been elevated to the Supreme court, and with Kavanaugh on the bench, the votes are there to strike it down.  A group dropped it's lawsuit that was going to go to the Supreme Court after Scalia died.  They didn't feel that they had the votes.  They should now with Gorsuch and Kavanaugh.

• Like 1

I started my kids on the Smith and Wesson .22 AR's.  They operate just like an AR-15, so it taught accuracy with a 25 round magazine.  I suppose that would be more "assault" which makes no sense to me.  I don't think there is an "assault" weapon, unless of course, you assault someone with a weapon. :)

• Like 1

On 12/9/2018 at 7:18 AM, Moshe said:

I started my kids on the Smith and Wesson .22 AR's.  They operate just like an AR-15, so it taught accuracy with a 25 round magazine.  I suppose that would be more "assault" which makes no sense to me.  I don't think there is an "assault" weapon, unless of course, you assault someone with a weapon. :)

My son’s favorite rifle

On 12/7/2018 at 8:30 PM, PNWguy said:

Decided to buy a 10/22 after the libs in Seattle decided to classify them as assault rifles and added all sorts of new rules, fees, waiting periods, and other nonsense to make them feel better about their inability to deal with reality.

Got a Mica Copper edition off of CDNN that came with a scope, mounts, and sling for $219.  It arrived today so I put it together in anticipation of a rabbit hunt in Southern Idaho next week.

G1UmwPs0RT2g7M5iyGI1Hw.jpg.96a9c4c12ce672c694007f9af0561ee1.jpg

I really like the stock and it fits me perfectly.  Everything looked good, but when I locked the bolt back, it would not release.  I can put a loaded magazine in it and pull the bolt back and release it and it seems to function test OK.  But locking the bolt back means fiddling with the release and some unknown combination of shaking it and cussing to get it to eventually release.

Hoping it's just new rifle tightness and that when I get to take it to the range and put a bunch of rounds through it, it will start working OK.  Tried spraying some Rem Oil in it to loosen it up but it didn't help.

Oh well, bringing my Uberti Silver Boy with me anyway, and it always works.

The bolt release is working as designed. If you want to be able to set the bolt lock and just pull on the handle to release follow the instructions on the video below. tom.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
I was talking to my FFL about the new law when I picked up the rifle.  He's a sheriff's deputy and has been discussing the issue at length with the local county prosecutor.
His guess is that the law will stand up to the multiple legal challenges currently filed.
He said that is based on the fact that they patterned it after the New York SAFE act and that law has been upheld in federal court.
However, it has not been elevated to the Supreme court, and with Kavanaugh on the bench, the votes are there to strike it down.  A group dropped it's lawsuit that was going to go to the Supreme Court after Scalia died.  They didn't feel that they had the votes.  They should now with Gorsuch and Kavanaugh.

I wish I shared that confidence, but the left still has Roberts. Another winner from a Bush.

The "Assault  Rifle", of WWII was a Nazi select fire weapon.  The term assault rifle was created by the  Anti-Gun Orgs.. in 1989. It has stuck and continues to confuse the public about the difference of semiauto and select fire.  The American voters confuse appearances of machine guns and semiauto legal to own rifles. 

14 hours ago, Dog Soldier said:

The "Assault  Rifle", of WWII was a Nazi select fire weapon.  The term assault rifle was created by the  Anti-Gun Orgs.. in 1989. It has stuck and continues to confuse the public about the difference of semiauto and select fire.  The American voters confuse appearances of machine guns and semiauto legal to own rifles. 

All true and it's why the NRA/ETC are losing the messaging 'battle'. A little less, 'I know my rights', 'gonna pry that gun from my cold dead fingers', 'confiscation right around the corner'...and 'only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun'......this stuff means nothing to those who don't own guns but watch TV or the interweb...it only reinforces the 'us vs them' scenario, of which the gun owners are only too eager to add to. 

• Like 1