7-11 robbery video: Not impressive stopping power.

PNWguy

2 hours ago, Heisenberg said:

The term 'stopping power' is gibberish.

What is your factual basis for asserting '38 Special FMJ'?

Further, what round with 'stopping power' would have immobilized a subject after being struck once (anterior to posterior) in the upper arm or upper shoulder?

FMJ will go through one body into another.  That is why hollow points are widely used.  Now, if you don't care who gets killed FMJ is the way to go.

12 minutes ago, Moshe said:

FMJ will go through one body into another.  That is why hollow points are widely used.  Now, if you don't care who gets killed FMJ is the way to go.

Your reply has no relationship to my comment/questions.

Edited by Heisenberg

2 hours ago, Heisenberg said:

My statement was quite clear, as were my two questions.

(sorry I hurt your feelings)

Well, first of all, I have to know you to care about you.  The only person able to hurt my feelings are my wife and my father.  You are neither.

"stopping power" seems to be a made up idea that we see a lot in hollywood films.  Unless the central nervous system is disrupted, or a huge amount of energy is transferred, the target isn't going to just stop.  If the cartridge doesn't have enough energy to knock you over backwards when firing it, then it's not going to knock the bad guy over either.  

Yeah, the bigger the bullet and faster it's going the more likely it is that the shock effect will affect the bad guy, but one report will show a guy taking multiple high powered rifle rounds to the chest and keep fighting, and later survive, whereas another guy can get shot with a .22lr in the arm and keel over dead.  Some people get so pumped up on adrenaline they don't even realize they are hit until someone points it out to them, and anyone on drugs

The one consistent thing with every shooting is that it was a shooting.  

4 hours ago, Cougar_ml said:

"stopping power" seems to be a made up idea that we see a lot in hollywood films.  Unless the central nervous system is disrupted, or a huge amount of energy is transferred, the target isn't going to just stop.  If the cartridge doesn't have enough energy to knock you over backwards when firing it, then it's not going to knock the bad guy over either.  

Yeah, the bigger the bullet and faster it's going the more likely it is that the shock effect will affect the bad guy, but one report will show a guy taking multiple high powered rifle rounds to the chest and keep fighting, and later survive, whereas another guy can get shot with a .22lr in the arm and keel over dead.  Some people get so pumped up on adrenaline they don't even realize they are hit until someone points it out to them, and anyone on drugs

The one consistent thing with every shooting is that it was a shooting.  

I remember first seeing the term "stopping power" used in gun-rags of the late 80's, after that it just became more and more prevalent. It still baffles me that people are so willing to even acknowledge such gibberish, let alone repeat it with any sort perceived authority. The same sort of logic process (or lack there of) is what has made people so obsessed with 'gel-tests' even though they do not represent what actually happens in living creatures, in reality they have become clever marketing tools for ammo makers to expensive ammunition in pretty boxes. Yet people cay on and on about 'stretch cavities' 'radial tearing' and even go so far as to use the term 'wound track'.

If any of you, after watching this video, want to get rid of your useless .38spl. revolvers.  You can send them to me along with all your ammo and I will make sure they are disposed of properly. A public service announcement.......

Dave..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/28/2018 at 7:00 PM, Heisenberg said:

I remember first seeing the term "stopping power" used in gun-rags of the late 80's, after that it just became more and more prevalent. It still baffles me that people are so willing to even acknowledge such gibberish, let alone repeat it with any sort perceived authority. The same sort of logic process (or lack there of) is what has made people so obsessed with 'gel-tests' even though they do not represent what actually happens in living creatures, in reality they have become clever marketing tools for ammo makers to expensive ammunition in pretty boxes. Yet people cay on and on about 'stretch cavities' 'radial tearing' and even go so far as to use the term 'wound track'.

I know this drives some here kinda buggy but an interesting little review. Not etched in stone and brought down from the mountain top but interesting none-the-less.

• 1 month later...