Finally bought a trigger pull gauge and tested some guns...

PNWguy

Ordered a cheap Wheeler trigger pull gauge off of Amazon and got it today.

I know it's not the most accurate, but I was able to get consistent results doing at least 3-5 pulls on every pistol.

First up was my deep carry pistol; an XDS 40. I always knew it was a heavier trigger, just had no idea how heavy. Maxxed out the gauge at 8lbs!

JriG0n7URrSzc3zSklToXQ.jpg 

Next up was my regular carry pistol; M&P40c. I don't like the trigger at all, took a few pulls to get just under 6lbs.

Ego28L5zSrWBFTPMA7Mb8g.jpg 

Then did my Taurus G2c. Awful trigger due to the "catching" half-way through the pull. But it was relatively light at just under 5lbs.

JfZ72ZAPTROwxFa_JLNa3Q.jpg 

Moved onto my two Glocks. First up was my GSSF match pistol which has all stock parts which have been polished and extensively dry-fired. Still not a great trigger, but it averaged 4.5lbs. Which is about what I figured.

mnm3ClXxTSy8VgllX13DMQ.jpg 

Next up was my G29 Gen 4. It has the best out of the box Glock trigger I've ever felt. It breaks cleanly and I estimated it at around 4lbs. I was way, way off. It actually breaks at 6lbs, every time...

Oza1cfwWRiumZTRwgeYv_A.jpg 

Done with my polymer striker-fired pistols, I moved on to my two single-actions, The Ruger Blackhawk Bisley in .45 Colt gave a nice consistent 3lb break. Perfect.
fEMhXilZRc-QlvU857bt0g.jpg 

My Cimarron Arms 1873 Peacemaker was slightly better at just under 2lbs. That's about as light a trigger I can stand.
zEpqvwGOTHCfNNyFmloMnQ.jpg 

Did the lightest trigger I own, which is on my Uberti Silver Boy .22 lever action. It's just under 2lbs.
1EQHPCEbSw2Vm0T64tVBbw.jpg 

Overall, I am pretty pleased with the results. It's amazing just how bad the triggers are on the polymer striker-fired pistols compared to other pistols.

Could not believe the trigger on my XDS was that heavy.

Hopefully picking up the new Gen 5 G19 tomorrow, so will have to check it before and after I polish the internals.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 10:01 PM, PNWguy said:
Ordered a cheap Wheeler trigger pull gauge off of Amazon and got it today.

I know it's not the most accurate, but I was able to get consistent results doing at least 3-5 pulls on every pistol.

First up was my deep carry pistol; an XDS 40. I always knew it was a heavier trigger, just had no idea how heavy. Maxxed out the gauge at 8lbs!

JriG0n7URrSzc3zSklToXQ.jpg 

Next up was my regular carry pistol; M&P40c. I don't like the trigger at all, took a few pulls to get just under 6lbs.

Ego28L5zSrWBFTPMA7Mb8g.jpg 

Then did my Taurus G2c. Awful trigger due to the "catching" half-way through the pull. But it was relatively light at just under 5lbs.

JfZ72ZAPTROwxFa_JLNa3Q.jpg 

Moved onto my two Glocks. First up was my GSSF match pistol which has all stock parts which have been polished and extensively dry-fired. Still not a great trigger, but it averaged 4.5lbs. Which is about what I figured.

mnm3ClXxTSy8VgllX13DMQ.jpg 

Next up was my G29 Gen 4. It has the best out of the box Glock trigger I've ever felt. It breaks cleanly and I estimated it at around 4lbs. I was way, way off. It actually breaks at 6lbs, every time...

Oza1cfwWRiumZTRwgeYv_A.jpg 

Done with my polymer striker-fired pistols, I moved on to my two single-actions, The Ruger Blackhawk Bisley in .45 Colt gave a nice consistent 3lb break. Perfect.
fEMhXilZRc-QlvU857bt0g.jpg 

My Cimarron Arms 1873 Peacemaker was slightly better at just under 2lbs. That's about as light a trigger I can stand.
zEpqvwGOTHCfNNyFmloMnQ.jpg 

Did the lightest trigger I own, which is on my Uberti Silver Boy .22 lever action. It's just under 2lbs.
1EQHPCEbSw2Vm0T64tVBbw.jpg 

Overall, I am pretty pleased with the results. It's amazing just how bad the triggers are on the polymer striker-fired pistols compared to other pistols.

Could not believe the trigger on my XDS was that heavy.

Hopefully picking up the new Gen 5 G19 tomorrow, so will have to check it before and after I polish the internals.

"Next up was my G29 Gen 4. It has the best out of the box Glock trigger I've ever felt. It breaks cleanly and I estimated it at around 4lbs. I was way, way off. It actually breaks at 6lbs, every time..."

That's why a lighter pull isn't necessarily "Better" a 6 pound trigger that breaks clean feels like a 4 pound trigger and is safer to carry in a striker fired gun with no safety. And as you found out with your Gen 5, a 5.5 pound pull that is clean feels better than a lighter trigger pull that is not as smooth.

• Like 3

I have been using an inexpensive Wheeler for a few years with good results for my needs and it will serve most shooters well. If you are tuning a high end bench rifle and looking for results under 2 pounds, then you may want to get the more accurate digital gauge.

Sadly, the Wheeler only goes to 8 pounds so I may never know the double action pull on my P-64s but it does indicate the single action is right @ 3 pounds on them both.

I have done a lot of work on guns, but when I acquired this gauge, it opened up my mind to actually improving my own triggers.

DISCLAIMER: This is not an encouragement of any kind! If you decide to do any work on your triggers, be aware that it is very easy to damage hardened surfaces and weaken them. This could lead to accidental discharges or other hazards to anyone shooting the weapon, and innocent bystanders. Only attempt trigger work if you are confident in your abilities, have the proper tools, and perform the proper function checks to insure safe operation.

That said, I have done some work on most of my triggers and must say that I am very happy with them all now. Most of the improvements have only required polishing of surfaces. Revolvers should only be attempted if you are really good with detailed mechanical items. Big improvements to both the trigger and function can be found if you know what to do. Most shooters should never open them. Big problems with cylinder timing and lock up can result if you do not know what you are doing!

As others have said, the main concern on triggers is getting a smooth pull and a consistent, clean break and not so much the pull weight. Sounds like the OP has a couple that may benefit from a little polishing of the mating surfaces. Any "catching" or drag can usually be traced to a burr or surface imperfections of those surfaces and with a little patience and attention to detail can be fixed by most that are handy with tools and mechanically inclined. Do not change engagement angles unless you know exactly what you are doing and only if correcting neutral or negative engagement!

My SKS had neutral engagement and an 8 pound trigger pull when I got it and would drop the hammer if bumped too hard. I corrected the hammer and sear engagement and polished up some parts in the trigger group. The result is a safe gun with a very smooth 6 pound pull and a clean break which has resulted in improved groupings and it is a real pleasure to shoot.

Most of the surfaces can be polished with sandpaper or a Dremel if you are very careful, but using quality stones will make things easier. Smooth any surfaces where parts slide or pivot.

Using mil-spec parts, most of my ARs are around 4.0 pounds pull weight, and even though all of the creep is still there by intent(SHTF weapons), they are smooth as glass. I do have one lower with a trigger adjustment screw and some minor spring modifications that is 2.5 pounds and almost no creep. This lower is primarily for my longer range shooting. I have yet to experience any problems with this gun failing to fire but would not trust it with my life because of the spring modifications.

My Glock P80 clones are 5 pounds, but I have found them to shoot as accurately as my pistols with 3 pound triggers because the pulls are very smooth. I just polished the OEM parts and smoothed out a couple of rough edges on the parts using my Dremel when I built them. They are my most reliable pistols, eat anything I feed them, and lots of fun to shoot. The triggers also seem to improve the more they are shot. They were both at 5.5 pounds when I built them.

Edited by GuitarmanNick
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Several years back I bought a Timney. I believe it is called their "armorer" gauge and goes all the way up to 25 pounds. The increments are in 1/4 pounds. I have numerous DA guns and wanted to be able to know their pull weights. Four ounces is plenty accurate for what I need. Seems like it was about $30ish dollars.

On 1/10/2019 at 6:29 PM, Moeman said:

What I don’t get in da/SA guns with a decocker is why don’t people simple trumb the hammmer back...

I prefer to carry my usp45 cocked and locked. Variant 1, so it can be carried that way.

Edited by Silentpoet
Fuck you autocorrect

On 1/10/2019 at 7:29 PM, Moeman said:

What I don’t get in da/SA guns with a decocker is why don’t people simple trumb the hammmer back...

I am not an expert, but I train only to flip the decocker to the fire position before firing and use D/A for the initial shot. If I ever need to use it in a life threatening situation, I want my motions to be swift and not require any conscious thought. Most gun battles happen very quickly and there is usually not much time for anything but reaction if you are in one! You will not be taking time to aim, think about breathing, being smooth on the trigger pull, or even pulling back the hammer! You will want to expend rounds in the direction of the most immediate threat as quickly as possible, then rinse and repeat as necessary.

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 6:29 PM, Moeman said:

I don't get it either.  When I have the option on pistols like that, it is always carried cocked and locked.  I like that option so much, I am moving resolved not to purchase more striker fired pistols.

11 hours ago, Moshe said:

I don't get it either.  When I have the option on pistols like that, it is always carried cocked and locked.  I like that option so much, I am moving resolved not to purchase more striker fired pistols.

Isn't it important to 'train' with one or the other to ensure a 'safety off' sweep is second nature, on hammer fired guns? IMHO, when the SHTF, and my brain shrinks, all I'll be able to do is pull the thing out and squeeze the trigger..why I prefer striker...

8 hours ago, usnret said:

Isn't it important to 'train' with one or the other to ensure a 'safety off' sweep is second nature, on hammer fired guns? IMHO, when the SHTF, and my brain shrinks, all I'll be able to do is pull the thing out and squeeze the trigger..why I prefer striker...

Your brain goes on autopilot during a situation.  At least mine does.  

I've found that your brain reverts to training, making drawing and thumbing off safeties things that you don't realize you are doing, but get done.  If you train for them. 

I've found that I get tunnel vision and time slows in situations as well.  

Regarding the issue of safeties adding complexity and stress to self-defense...  How many times a day do you handle your weapon in which a safety would add an additional layer of protection vs. how many times a day, month, year, or decade do you have to draw and fire your weapon in a defensive scenario?