Why a holster is mandatory for any carry situation

Tahmail

At a very young age, I learned to NOT catch a falling hot soldering iron.  This has saved me many injuries over the years.  It does take some self control to make the fleeting decision to leave it alone and watch it fall.  In terms of a loaded gun, I found you can even move slightly to help make sure you aren't in the line of fire.  

My BIL once tried to "catch" a 1968 Road Runner that was falling sideways off a bumper jack. 

I was laughing out loud when I grabbed him and pulled him back.  Yes, he did thank me.  he said he didn't think about what he was doing.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 12:45 PM, KBKEITH said:

Personally, I can't imagine not using a holster. Also, grabbing a falling gun is kind of like trying to grab a falling knife. You must resist the urge or bad things could happen.

Unless it is a SIG of course... :whistling:

Also:  :nutcheck:

"Personally, I don't see why you would ever need to bring a gun grocery shopping or anyplace else," said a customer, Michael Yarbrough. "It's not some place you'd need to protect yourself," he added.

Regards,

Happyguy :)

Edited by Happyguy
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Carried with a holster for 20 some years, gave it up and just got a gun that fits well into my back pocket. It stays secure enough and I just pull it out when I sit down in a vehicle.

I still have guns that I only carry in a holster but my daily carry is in my back pocket, had a ccw since 1980 and never have had a negligent discharge

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I thought it was common sense... I mean, I tried carrying a variety of pistols(unloaded) without a holster around the house... none of them stayed put. So aside from the safety issue of using a holster, maintaining the ability to know the gun is were you placed it is extremely important. 

• 3 months later...

The recent video of the FBI agent dancing and back-flipping while losing his firearm should reinforce the point of this post along with adding the modifier of "why a (good) holster is mandatory" for the title. Add in the usual caveat on keeping the booger hook off of the bang switch to avoid career meltdown and that will about cover it. 

• Like 1

Carried a 7 shot Taurus revolver for close to 10 years without a holster. Had a very active job where I was constantly crawling under and over things every day, and never had an issue. 

But then that's not the topic on this post. about 8 years ago I started carrying pistols. I quickly determined a holster was absolutely necessary and haven't looked back since.

I love my Kydex holsters.

This mindset was present when taxes were paid to the British without representstion, when the Armenians were trusting of the Ottoman’s and when people willingly sewed yellow Stars of David on the garments.....

(From the OP’s article:)

"Personally, I don't see why you would ever need to bring a gun grocery shopping or anyplace else," said a customer, Michael Yarbrough. "It's not some place you'd need to protect yourself," he added.” 

On 12/8/2017 at 12:34 AM, Alabusa said:

This has to be fake news. Chicago has some of the most stern gun laws in the nation.....

On a serious note, I duck hunted one morning with an M. D. who did his residency at a Memphis, TN hospital. The man had stories about inner city yutes and poor handgun retention. 

"An experimental science is supposed to perform experiments that find generalities. It's not just supposed to tally up a long list of individual cases and their unique life histories. That's butterfly
collecting. " -Richard C. Lewontin

Because something didn't happen, doesn't mean it won't happen!  Wear a good holster!

3 minutes ago, janice6 said:

"An experimental science is supposed to perform experiments that find generalities. It's not just supposed to tally up a long list of individual cases and their unique life histories. That's butterfly
collecting. " -Richard C. Lewontin

Because something didn't happen, doesn't mean it won't happen!  Wear a good holster!

That's why I use Durex.

Edited by Gun Shark
  • Like 1