Couple has to prove New Mexico is a state when applying for marriage license.

Suspect Unknown

I was not sure where to post this, and for any public employee to not know that NM is a state, is scary.  It ended well, maybe because everybody in line started laughing.

A couple from New Mexico was in Washington D.C., when they went to the marriage bureau to apply for a marriage license. Little did they know that while in the country’s capital they would run into the issue of having to prove that their home state actually existed.

Gavin Clarkson, who recently ran for New Mexico Secretary of State, took to his Facebook to share the ordeal that he had just faced at the D.C. district court. Within the post he said that an agent told him, “We cannot accept international driver’s licenses,” after checking twice with the supervisor if New Mexico was a legitimate state.

“The new Mrs. Clarkson thinks the most hilarious part was when the clerk complemented me on my English,” he wrote, adding that his wife, Marina, actually immigrated from Argentina in 1994 before gaining citizenship 14 years later. 

The two of them were luckily able to handle the situation with a sense of humor and eventually worked it all out with the clerk after about 20 minutes.

“All the couples behind us waiting in line were laughing,” he told Las Cruces Sun News.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/couple-prove-new-mexico-state-applying-marriage-license-142308980.html

Edited by Suspect Unknown
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fnfalman said:

New Mexico is neither new nor Mexico. 

I blame American public education. 

Why blame a system for one idiot? Suppose your education never had any public or American. The high school near me has a ton of calculus math type of students... and losers. It is the parents...

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 5:03 PM, Moeman said:

Why blame a system for one idiot? Suppose your education never had any public or American. The high school near me has a ton of calculus math type of students... and losers. It is the parents...

Because there are more than one idiot running around thinking that New Mexico is not a Great State of the Union.

My company commander asked me where I was going after my Army term of enlistment is up.  I told him New Mexico and his reply was why do I want to move to another country.  College edimacated ossifer and all that.

Edited by Fnfalman

Several years back (about 1990) before traveling to Alaska, a friend's father advised me to check into auto insurance there prior to arriving since it was a foreign country and he knew I would be renting a car.  At first I thought he was just teasing me, but no, he was dead serious.  It was really awkward having to explain him to that Alaska had been a state for 30 years.

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 4:42 PM, Suspect Unknown said:

I was not sure where to post this, and for any public employee to not know that NM is a state, is scary.  It ended well, maybe because everybody in line started laughing.

A couple from New Mexico was in Washington D.C., when they went to the marriage bureau to apply for a marriage license. Little did they know that while in the country’s capital they would run into the issue of having to prove that their home state actually existed.

Gavin Clarkson, who recently ran for New Mexico Secretary of State, took to his Facebook to share the ordeal that he had just faced at the D.C. district court. Within the post he said that an agent told him, “We cannot accept international driver’s licenses,” after checking twice with the supervisor if New Mexico was a legitimate state.

“The new Mrs. Clarkson thinks the most hilarious part was when the clerk complemented me on my English,” he wrote, adding that his wife, Marina, actually immigrated from Argentina in 1994 before gaining citizenship 14 years later. 

The two of them were luckily able to handle the situation with a sense of humor and eventually worked it all out with the clerk after about 20 minutes.

“All the couples behind us waiting in line were laughing,” he told Las Cruces Sun News.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/couple-prove-new-mexico-state-applying-marriage-license-142308980.html

Obviously, all is NOT well with the quality of D.C. Supervisors and employees. Maybe D.C. should at least ask for an 8th grade education when hiring new people. :anim_rofl2:

• Thanks 1

The DC clerk was black, as was the supervisor.  Gavin is white (despite being a tribal member...) and his fiance is South American.  The clerk made the comment about the fiance's English being so good.  While this story is primarily about the ignorance of the city clerk, in which every one laughed off, if it had been reversed with white clerks and a black and hispanic customer, it would have lead the news for days as an example of how Trump's administration is racist (despite it being a DC court).

The story is funny, and not surprising.  DC is 95% democratic.

It's just the hypocrisy that makes me mad.   It's a human interest story and funny when the person of color makes a racist assumption, but it's racism and reason to riot when a white person does the same.

• Like 1