What router are you using?

Gun Shark

5 minutes ago, GPM said:

The VPN speed is related to your ISP's speed. I have a 100Mbps service and get over 90Mbps through the VPN. I use iVPN but most will get you speeds close to your ISP speed depending on how far you are from the VPN server. From what I understand most routers do not have the power to reach higher speeds. Of course if you use the VPN's app on your computer you will get better performance as any computer has much more power than a consumer router.

Yep.. agree w/ the above.  While my computer will get 100mbps easy through my VPN, my NAS (which I have connected to the VPN via my router)... will rarely hit about 15mb... which is fine for me.  Only thing I'd disagree with, is the speed of the VPN in correlation to the speed of your service... Some VPN's have been known to throttle their service to prevent their servers from being overwhelmed.

10 minutes ago, GPM said:

The VPN speed is related to your ISP's speed. I have a 100Mbps service and get over 90Mbps through the VPN. I use iVPN but most will get you speeds close to your ISP speed depending on how far you are from the VPN server. From what I understand most routers do not have the power to reach higher speeds. Of course if you use the VPN's app on your computer you will get better performance as any computer has much more power than a consumer router.

Thanks, I'm starting to get a better understanding.  I have 100Mbps service and get that or close on all my devices when I check the speed with Ookla.  When I use VPN it is way slower, so your saying it is the my router rather than the time to the VPN server and back plus the encryption.  Maybe it time to invest in a new router if that's the problem.

1 hour ago, pipedreams said:

Thanks, I'm starting to get a better understanding.  I have 100Mbps service and get that or close on all my devices when I check the speed with Ookla.  When I use VPN it is way slower, so your saying it is the my router rather than the time to the VPN server and back plus the encryption.  Maybe it time to invest in a new router if that's the problem.

It's not just your router... it's going to be almost any router.

1 hour ago, IndyGunFreak said:

It's not just your router... it's going to be almost any router.

I have the same as you Asus RT N66U, flashed w/ Merlin's firmware.

Just checked to see I have the latest firmware.

OK I'm learning, I'm getting 45-55Mbps with VPN with a couple tests.  Though video and other worked fine with the VPN but the speed test kept telling me other.  I wasn't doing the speed test correctly while using VPN.  Older I get the thicker my skull gets.

I just started looking in the router under "advanced settings" and I see "VPN" I have never done anything with that.  Do I need to make some changes there?  Under status it shows PPTP  VPN server running, everything else shows stopped.

Edited by pipedreams

Here's a good source for information on routers:

https://www.snbforums.com/forums/

This thread in particular details the performance of the RT-AC86U. The thread is by the guy who creates the Merlin fork of the ASUS firmware. He documents how the 86U is one of the only routers capable of higher OpenVPN speeds. All this is dependent on using OpenVPN in the router itself as opposed to running VPN applications on individual devices. 

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/openvpn-performance-of-the-rt-ac86u.41217/

Oh, and I'm only talking about running the client side of OpenVPN. I have no experience with running a VPN server.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, crockett said:

Down to a Arris NVG468MQ as a modem and WiFi router. Been wiring up most rooms with CAT 6., all going through managed Cisco switches. Goal is to have only one alarm system and one phone on WiFi.

This is how I am setup at home. Cat 5e (don't see any reason for the cost of 6 when all my devices are gigabit at best) run everywhere. Internet hits the cable modem (modem only device), to an ASA 5506-X  uplinked to a Catalyst 3750G 48 port POE switch, which then goes to either 2960G 8 port or 3560G 8 port switches in individual rooms. All of my security cameras are IP and powered by POE which are all on a seperate vlan from the rest of the network traffic. I picked up everything but the ASA used for a fraction of what new enterprise Cisco gear costs. Worth ever dollar.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NDcent said:

You guys are over my head. I have a cheapy Cisco linksys; plug it in, set a password and forget it. 

Simple answer, I have enterprise level network equipment in my home that is a massive overkill for a residence. I did it because of the advanced security and incredible stability along with providing me with actual equipment to study for my certification exams with. It is well beyond anything I actually need.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

My old Netgear was having trouble with 30+ devices on my network so I bought one of the new Netgear Nighthawks. 

It handled traffic all right but first time I tried to manage 'connected devices' it lost the list ... & wouldn't get it back ... So I went to their website .. customer complaints and found lots of people had this problem, had been going on for years, and they kept jollying everybody along with 'next firmware update will fix it' .  Well they never did !

Fortunately,  Amazon's refund policy allowed me to return it and get a TP- link, which works fine with the device load, and manages connected devices without losing them.

Edited by aircarver
typo

On 7/1/2018 at 12:18 PM, GPM said:

ASUS RT-AC86U running Merlin firmware. More expensive than most but one of the only ones with enough power to run a VPN at reasonable speeds (>60 Mbps).

This was good advice and still applies today if your running a variety of devices.  With everything getting faster and most households have more devices than they realize.  The new TV's often access your router as well as the numerous laptops, smartphones we all have.  If you go cheap on a router after purchasing all these other bandwidth hungry devices your getting cheated.  I found the ASUS RT-AC86U met my requirements especially when using VPN which I use regularly.  There are a number of other good routers out there and some newer models but do your homework before buying, and keep in mind some mfgs. provide regular firmware updates and other promise but don't.

Edited by pipedreams