Too much oil in my engine.

PNWguy

12 hours ago, PNWguy said:

The oil is for engines with OVER 75,000 miles.  It doesn't mean you don't have to CHANGE it for 75,000 miles....  

Don't be a ding dong, we all know that.  If you needed to change your oil why didn't you do that rather than add two quarts of expensive Mobile 1 just before a oil change or just add one quart to get you by till you got the change.  Of course it your money to waste.

So your telling me any vehicle with less than 75,000 miles shouldn't that oil?? ? 

Edited by pipedreams

4 hours ago, pipedreams said:

Don't be a ding dong, we all know that.  If you needed to change your oil why didn't you do that rather than add two quarts of expensive Mobile 1 just before a oil change or just add one quart to get you by till you got the change.  Of course it your money to waste.

So your telling me any vehicle with less than 75,000 miles shouldn't that oil?? ? 

I drove my S500 Benz 70k miles on one single oil change. In the end the entire car war starting to fall apart (for example: 3 of the 4 air suspension struts failed, $3k a pop), but the engine ran until I traded the car in at 130k miles. No sludge either. Used Mobil 1. I sent some oil to Blackstone, good report coming back, very low wear indicators.

Car manufacturer and the petroleum industry still asking for 7.5k / 10k oil changes is one of the biggest scams in this country, they are making way too much money on this scheme in order to allow educated customers. In other countries they have systems where they only replace a paper filter insert and never change the oil. Plenty of fleets with 200k and 300k plus on the same oil (and the same engine, with no repairs). It is impossible to explain this to anybody who is still stuck at changing oils at 3 or 5k intervals.

Edited by crockett

6 hours ago, crockett said:

I drove my S500 Benz 70k miles on one single oil change. In the end the entire car war starting to fall apart (for example: 3 of the 4 air suspension struts failed, $3k a pop), but the engine ran until I traded the car in at 130k miles. No sludge either. Used Mobil 1. I sent some oil to Blackstone, good report coming back, very low wear indicators.

Car manufacturer and the petroleum industry still asking for 7.5k / 10k oil changes is one of the biggest scams in this country, they are making way too much money on this scheme in order to allow educated customers. In other countries they have systems where they only replace a paper filter insert and never change the oil. Plenty of fleets with 200k and 300k plus on the same oil (and the same engine, with no repairs). It is impossible to explain this to anybody who is still stuck at changing oils at 3 or 5k intervals.

Your right it impossible to explain to people. 

Common Sense.png

Edited by pipedreams
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, crockett said:

Most GM dipsticks measure 1 quart between the min and max markings on the dipstick. 3/8" over max should be less than half a quart over max.

Oil pans are almost never straight walled, they have a sump and then get bigger so the dipstick is not linear, once you get out of the sump you need a lot more oil to make the level go up.

31 minutes ago, RenoF250 said:

Oil pans are almost never straight walled, they have a sump and then get bigger so the dipstick is not linear, once you get out of the sump you need a lot more oil to make the level go up.

But not within 3/8" of the max marking. At least not on the GM products I owned in recent years. My Vette was burning massive amounts of oil and I sued GM to force them to buy it back. I have lawyer documented log files with at least 100 photos of the oil level on the dipstick.

In this oil consumption test they overfilled by exactly half a quart, knowing that I will run way too low within the 1,000 miles mandated. They sealed the entire car in order to make sure that no oil can be removed manually.

Between min and max is exactly 1 quart. The level you see is 1/2 a quart above max, and equals exactly half the length of the dipstick between min and max. Perfectly linear.

Img-2564.jpg

The entire procedure was video taped by my lawyer and GM's lawyer.

Img-3994.jpg

Edited by crockett

1 hour ago, crockett said:

But not within 3/8" of the max marking. At least not on the GM products I owned in recent years. My Vette was burning massive amounts of oil and I sued GM to force them to buy it back. I have lawyer documented log files with at least 100 photos of the oil level on the dipstick.

In this oil consumption test they overfilled by exactly half a quart, knowing that I will run way too low within the 1,000 miles mandated. They sealed the entire car in order to make sure that no oil can be removed manually.

Between min and max is exactly 1 quart. The level you see is 1/2 a quart above max, and equals exactly half the length of the dipstick between min and max. Perfectly linear.

Img-2564.jpg

The entire procedure was video taped by my lawyer and GM's lawyer.

Img-3994.jpg

I understand, it depends on the engine/oil pan.  They are all over the place, regardless, I agree that 3/8" over is not likely to cause a problem.

GM fought that hard and wasted that much to avoid paying on something that they surely knew was their problem to start with?  I cannot imagine the plugs were not carboned up bad using that much oil, did they look at that?

17 minutes ago, RenoF250 said:

I understand, it depends on the engine/oil pan.  They are all over the place, regardless, I agree that 3/8" over is not likely to cause a problem.

GM fought that hard and wasted that much to avoid paying on something that they surely knew was their problem to start with?  I cannot imagine the plugs were not carboned up bad using that much oil, did they look at that?

8 dealerships didn't get their **** together, none even understood how to measure the oil level on a Z51. After a while I wasn't willing to deal with a fixed or replaced engine because I knew that they would screw things up meanwhile. I saw plenty of crap with 3 oil consumption tests. Many dealers don't even have a proper lift for the corvette, or the jack pugs. This was a brand new vehicle and it was burning oil from day one, quickly increasing. Very long story... either way I'm done with GM.

28 minutes ago, RenoF250 said:

PS: one tech doing the first oil consumption test, topped off the oil to the max marking, so he thought. Problem was that he didn't wait for the 5 to 10 minute time window on a dry sump to properly measure the oil level. The oil had no time to flow back and he though it was extremely low. He just kept adding and adding. I didn't get to see it the first time - waiting in the customer area - but know exactly what happened.

When I made it back home (100 miles) I checked the level. He overfilled by almost 2 quarts. I checked the intake as well as valve and saw no oil. Off to the next dealership, explained everything, and they also didn't know about the 5 to 10 min time frame, even though its printed in the owners and shop manual, AND on the ******* tag dangling on the oil cap. I got lied to on all levels... and had to face under-trained techs.

49 minutes ago, geeorge said:

I would be concerned as to why the engine used over a quart of oil in 5000 miles.

Let Walmart change it for you, they will use any oil you want.

Mobil-1 one is all I use.

I wouldn't let Walmart touch my cars, did it one time and they charged me for six quarts. I had to explain to the lady when I went to pay it wasn't possible.  I finally told her I can get the owners manual and show you before she finally said she would go ask the shop people.  When she came back she said the spilled one quart and I told her I wasn't paying for their mistake.  She finally agreed.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, crockett said:

PS: one tech doing the first oil consumption test, topped off the oil to the max marking, so he thought. Problem was that he didn't wait for the 5 to 10 minute time window on a dry sump to properly measure the oil level. The oil had no time to flow back and he though it was extremely low. He just kept adding and adding. I didn't get to see it the first time - waiting in the customer area - but know exactly what happened.

When I made it back home (100 miles) I checked the level. He overfilled by almost 2 quarts. I checked the intake as well as valve and saw no oil. Off to the next dealership, explained everything, and they also didn't know about the 5 to 10 min time frame, even though its printed in the owners and shop manual, AND on the ******* tag dangling on the oil cap. I got lied to on all levels... and had to face under-trained techs.

I have had some similar experiences with dealerships - one put the wrong oil in the engine even though it is printed on the cap, the other put the wrong oil in the diff which had a tag telling them what oil to use.  That is why I only use dealerships for warranty work and recalls.

13 hours ago, pipedreams said:

Sorry, but when you state that the oil is good for over 75,000 miles, I took it to mean that you thought you could use it for over 75,000 miles.  Read the wording of your post.  Pretty sure I'm not the one being a ding dong here...  :uglylol:

4 hours ago, pipedreams said:

I wouldn't let Walmart touch my cars, did it one time and they charged me for six quarts. I had to explain to the lady when I went to pay it wasn't possible.  I finally told her I can get the owners manual and show you before she finally said she would go ask the shop people.  When she came back she said the spilled one quart and I told her I wasn't paying for their mistake.  She finally agreed.

Just watch them do the work , it's better than not getting it done or blowing an engine

7 hours ago, geeorge said:

Just watch them do the work , it's better than not getting it done or blowing an engine

Most places like that won't let you that close to the work, usually insist you wait in the waiting area because of insurance reasons.  Personally I have a trusted mechanic I go to that changes the oil as well as keeping me advised on everything.

Edited by pipedreams
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, PNWguy said:

Sorry, but when you state that the oil is good for over 75,000 miles, I took it to mean that you thought you could use it for over 75,000 miles.  Read the wording of your post.  Pretty sure I'm not the one being a ding dong here...  :uglylol:

"Your using Mobil 1 high mileage so why would you want to change it rather than just drain a bit?   Mobil 1 promises you over 75,000 miles of extended engine performance with a potential to exceed.   Seems like your wasting money unless your doing a heck of a lot of hard driving."

If you go to Mobile 1's web site I believe you will find those exact words, maybe your not interpreting the meaning correctly.  In fact their latest product they are clearly saying 20,000 miles or a year between changes.

Quotes from a couple of their other products.

"Protects for 15,000 miles between oil changes"

"Discover Mobil 1™ Annual Protection, the motor oil that protects your engine for one full year or 20,000 miles, whichever comes first."

On 12/1/2018 at 1:46 AM, PNWguy said:

Rookie mistake.  2005 GMC Yukon.  5.3 V8.  Check engine oil level light came on, so I checked it on level ground and it was maybe 3/8" on the dipstick.  That's about and inch or so below where it should be.  I changed the oil about 5 months ago and it has around 5k miles on the oil.

So I went to WalMart and bought two more quarts of oil.  Figured since it was so low, that it would need both.  Dumped them both in.  Checked the level and now it's 3/8 of an inch above the highest mark.  Figured maybe I needed to drive it to circulate the oil better, or it wasn't level, or something.

Freezing rain and 6am so I drove the 20 miles home and watched the oil pressure gauge.  Normal.  Drove it back to work to work another 12hr shift and let it sit a couple of hours and checked the oil again.  Now it's 1/2" above the highest mark. 

Any harm in leaving it slightly overfilled?  I know in the old days, it could lead to over pressurization of the crankcase and cause oil leaks and other issues,  Not sure on the modern Chevy V8s just how sensitive they are.

Oil is Mobil 1 10w30 High Mileage...  Was planning on changing the oil in the next week or so anyway before I drove down to Southern Idaho in a couple of weeks.  Any harm leaving it as is for a few days?

Supposedly it can possibly cause problems with the rear main seal.

In reality I wouldn't be too concerned.   

The 1/8" difference could be temperature or grade the truck was sitting on.

On 12/1/2018 at 1:49 PM, EdTracker said:

Buy this and never crawl underneath searching for a stripped drain plug

image.png.74197bdb3f1c9563e5030babcdcafca0.png

I have bought several and given them away as gifts. They ROCK!

https://www.amazon.com/America-2000LV-LiquiVac-Changing-System-x/dp/B0002AJR8E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1543690027&sr=8-1&keywords=LiquiVac+Portable

No more ******* with crush washers!

beat me to it ,  i just use a hose and siphon pump  to get excess out of vehicles and tractors  .  back when i raced my car   my paxton supercharger ran off trans fluid but no drain at all,  had to siphon it out  to add new , i think now new ones  tap the oil pan  and run off oil  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BTW... Can’t remember the last time a person had the engine go... can remember many times the auto transmission going early on nice cars, including one of mine. The sealed auto transmission with no dip stick or with many gears is something to exceed the manufacturer scheduled maintenance IMO. My current cat has 10 speed transmission that is a lot of channnels.